Technology Blogs by Members
Explore a vibrant mix of technical expertise, industry insights, and tech buzz in member blogs covering SAP products, technology, and events. Get in the mix!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nicholas_chang
Active Contributor

SAP HANA Lifecycle Manager

SAP HLM by default will get installed together with HANA platform SPS06 installation and I’ll give a brief walkthrough on how to access, to start and to install HLM on HANA platform lower than rev60.

a) to access HLM:

Before you can access HLM, you need to ensure HLM is running on the server by ps -ef | grep -i HLM and you’ll get something return as below:

SIDadm   25882 25598  0 15:05 ?        00:00:00 /bin/bash /usr/sap/hlm_bootstraps/start-hlm.sh SID

SIDadm   25948 25882  0 15:05 ?        00:00:00 bash /usr/sap/SID/HDB10/../HLM/bootstrap-hlm.sh

SIDadm   25971 25948  0 15:05 ?        00:00:00 /bin/bash /usr/sap/hlm_bootstraps/SID/HLM/hlm.sh

SIDadm   26009 25971  0 15:05 ?        00:00:00 /bin/bash ./daemon.sh console -Dhlm.nonssl.port=51000 -Dhlm.installation.path=/hana/shared/SID/HLM -Dhlm.bootstrap.path=/usr/sap/hlm_bootstraps/SID/HLM -Dlogback.configurationFile=/usr/sap/hlm_bootstraps/SID/HLM/configuration/serviceability.xml -Dosgi.resolver.usesMode=ignore

SIDadm   26163 26009  0 15:05 ?        00:00:00 /bin/bash -c cd "/usr/sap/hlm_bootstraps/SID/HLM" ; "/usr/sap/hlm_bootstraps/SID/HLM/jvm/jre/bin/java" -server -XtraceFile=log/vm_@PID_trace.log -XX:ErrorFile=/usr/sap/hlm_bootstraps/SID/HLMserviceabilityerror.log -XX:HeapDumpPath=/usr/sap/hlm_bootstraps/SID/HLM/serviceability/heap_dump.hprof "-XX:+HeapDumpOnOutOfMemoryError" "-XX:+DisableExplicitGC" "-Xms512m" "-Xmx1024m" "-XX:PermSize=256M" "-XX:MaxPermSize=256M" "-Dosgi.requiredJavaVersion=1.6" "-DuseNaming=osgi" "-Dosgi.install.area=." "-Djava.io.tmpdir=./work/tmp" "-Djava.endorsed.dirs=lib/endorsed" "-Dorg.eclipse.equinox.simpleconfigurator.exclusiveInstallation=false" "-Dcom.sap.core.process=ljs_node" "-Declipse.ignoreApp=true" "-Dosgi.noShutdown=true" "-Dosgi.framework.activeThreadType=normal" "-Dosgi.embedded.cleanupOnSave=true" "-Dosgi.usesLimit=30" "-Dcatalina.config=file:config/catalina.properties" "-Dhttp.hostcontrol.connection" -classpath /usr/sap/hlm_bootstraps/SID/HLM/plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher_1.3.0.v20120308-1358.jar:/usr/sap/hlm_bootstraps/SID/HLM/lib/org.eclipse.virgo.nano.authentication_3.6.0.RC1.jar:/usr/sap/hlm_bootstraps/SID/HLM/lib/org.eclipse.virgo.nano.shutdown_3.6.0.RC1.jar:/usr/sap/hlm_bootstraps/SID/HLM/lib/org.eclipse.virgo.util.env_3.6.0.RC1.jar -Dhlm.nonssl.port=51000 -Dhlm.installation.path=/hana/shared/SID/HLM -Dhlm.bootstrap.path=/usr/sap/hlm_bootstraps/SID/HLM -Dlogback.configurationFile=/usr/sap/hlm_bootstraps/SID/HLM/configuration/serviceability.xml -Dosgi.resolver.usesMode=ignore org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main -console 2>>"/usr/sap/hlm_bootstraps/SID/HLM/hlm_daemon.log"

SIDadm   26164 26163  6 15:05 ?        00:01:11 /usr/sap/hlm_bootstraps/SID/HLM/jvm/jre/bin/java -classpath /usr/sap/hlm_bootstraps/SID/HLM/plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher_1.3.0.v20120308-1358.jar:/usr/sap/hlm_bootstraps/SID/HLM/lib/org.eclipse.virgo.nano.authentication_3.6.0.RC1.jar:/usr/sap/hlm_bootstraps/SID/HLM/lib/org.eclipse.virgo.nano.shutdown_3.6.0.RC1.jar:/usr/sap/hlm_bootstraps/SID/HLM/lib/org.eclipse.virgo.util.env_3.6.0.RC1.jar -server -XtraceFile=log/vm_@PID_trace.log -XX:ErrorFile=/usr/sap/hlm_bootstraps/SID/HLMserviceabilityerror.log -XX:HeapDumpPath=/usr/sap/hlm_bootstraps/SID/HLM/serviceability/heap_dump.hprof -XX:+HeapDumpOnOutOfMemoryError -XX:+DisableExplicitGC -Xms512m -Xmx1024m -XX:PermSize=256M -XX:MaxPermSize=256M -Dosgi.requiredJavaVersion=1.6 -DuseNaming=osgi -Dosgi.install.area=. -Djava.io.tmpdir=./work/tmp -Djava.endorsed.dirs=lib/endorsed -Dorg.eclipse.equinox.simpleconfigurator.exclusiveInstallation=false -Dcom.sap.core.process=ljs_node -Declipse.ignoreApp=true -Dosgi.noShutdown=true -Dosgi.framework.activeThreadType=normal -Dosgi.embedded.cleanupOnSave=true -Dosgi.usesLimit=30 -Dcatalina.config=file:config/catalina.properties -Dhttp.hostcontrol.connection -Dhlm.nonssl.port=51000 -Dhlm.installation.path=/hana/shared/SID/HLM -Dhlm.bootstrap.path=/usr/sap/hlm_bootstraps/SID/HLM -Dlogback.configurationFile=/usr/sap/hlm_bootstraps/SID/HLM/configuration/serviceability.xml -Dosgi.resolver.usesMode=ignore org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main -console

b) If nothing returns, start HLM:

/hana/shared/<SID>/HLM/bootstrap-hlm.sh

If folder /HLM don’t exist on the server, means HLM is not installed on the server.

c) to install HLM:

via HANA studio rev60 by using SUM4HANA.

I’ll skip this method where the steps are just similar when performing HANA DB revision update using SUM4HANA.

Manual Installation:

i) download SAPHANALM06_0-10012745.SAR or latest from SMP

ii) extract it to temp directory, eg: HLM_install

iii) copy SAPHANALM06_0-10012745.SAR to the temp directory where you extracted the SAR earlier, eg: HLM_install as the SAR is needed during installation.

iv) Ensure SAPHOSTAGENT is above level 149, advisable to update it to the latest level. Level 153 till today.

v) go to the extracted temp directory and run ./hdbinst

Just click enter when prompt if you are running single Hana Database.

SAP HANA Lifecycle Manager Installation kit detected.

SAP HANA Database Installation Manager - SAP HANA HLM Installation 1.50.00.000000

*********************************************************************************

Options:

SAP HANA system ID | Description

---------------------------------------------------------

SID                | SAP HANA Database SID 1.00.57.378530

Enter SAP HANA system ID [SID]:

Root user password (SSH connectivity):

Root user SSH key passphrase (SSH connectivity):

The installation will complete in jiffy and now, enjoy using HLM!

Refer to http://help.sap.com/hana/SAP_HANA_Update_and_Configuration_Guide_en.pdf for detailed info.

57 Comments
Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nicholas,

I am unable to run HALM application. Before I can access HLM, I ensured HLM is running on the server by ps -ef | grep -i HLM and i get the following

root 4749 4715 0 18.36 pts/0  00:00:00 grep -i HLM

Than I run /hana/shared/SID/HLM/./hlm.sh. It says "No such file or directory".

I am using 30 days free trial version HANA access in cloudshare.

Kindly suggest

Avijit

nicholas_chang
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Avijit,

The SID is your system ID. and do you see any files by entering:

ls -ltr /hana/shared/"YourSystemSID"/HLM

Former Member
0 Kudos

it says cannot access "/hana/shared/"YourSystemSID"/HLM". No such file or directory

Former Member
0 Kudos

and even I tried to access HLM via Hana Studio rev60 -> Lifecycle management. But its throwing up some error saying "Error occurred while trying to start SAP HLM . Check log file for details. I had provided the pwd as the same as System pwd.

0 Kudos

There is a bug in Revision 60 LCM.  I forget the workaround to run the manual install.  You need to add a parameter override the failed install but I forget what the parameter is.  I also forget exactly which revision this was eventually fixed in, perhaps 65, maybe even later than that.

Tom 

cecogaidev
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi guys,

@Nicholas Chang: Very nice post :smile:

I just have to say that point 'b' is incorrect, i.e. you must not use hlm.sh (it's used internally). Instead of hlm.sh you have to use the following script: /hana/shared/<SID>/HLM/bootstrap-hlm.sh (also there is -f option, i.e. force mode). The script mentioned above is responsible to do some configurations and to start the HLM OS Process from a working directory (/usr/sap/hlm_bootstraps/<SID>....)

BTW: Have in mind that there is way better version (SP 07) of the SAP HANA Lifecycle Manager  and it's backward compatible

Best Regards,

Tzvetan

Former Member
0 Kudos

note that the hint to download the HLM from SMP is misleading. You have to download from software download center (service.sap.com/swdc - posting some URLs and resolving acronyms is by the way very helpful for the one reading; those who already know all urls and acronyms will not need such posts...) and search in *support packages and patches*

Best,

Helmut

petr_solberg
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Nicolas,

this is a very nice contribution.

May I add this to the SAP Hana Reference for NetWeaver Administrators and credit you with sharing the information ?

Kind regards,

Andy.

nicholas_chang
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks, i started the earlier version with hlm.sh and with current and latest hlm, it'll asks to start using /hana/shared/<SID>/HLM/bootstrap-hlm.sh.

Thanks for the reminder. Edited and update the command.

nicholas_chang
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Andy,

yes, please go ahead and that's my pleasure. 😉

Thanks!

former_member214242
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks for the blog, Nicolas

For those using more recent versions of SAP HANA, Lifecycle Manager has been considerably changed with SPS 7.

I recorded some videos on installing SAP HANA, which you can find here: What's new in SAP HANA SPS 7 - Installation and Update

In the near future I plan to add a series of videos on Lifecycle Manager and all its options.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Can i go ahead and do the above process for SAP HLM installation? I am yet to get an access into my SP6 version.

Kindly help

Thanks

Avijit

cecogaidev
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Yes, you can follow the above procedure, but it's good to use it with the automatic start, i.e. just open the following URL in the browser:

BTW: It's still better to download the latest version of the HLM, i.e. SPS 07

Regards,

Tzvetan

petr_solberg
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Nicolas,

thank you.

Andy.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

After installing the Lifecycle Management Manually, I am trying to start HLM using step B in this blog, but as soon as i run the mentioned command it ask me for the configuration of hlm.sh and ask some entries for osgi (could be seen below), could anyone help me with this??

I don't have any clue what I am supposed to enter here!!!

hanaserver:/hana/shared/H01/HLM> bootstrap-hlm.sh

There is bootstrapped HLM

Checking for running HLM...

There is no running HLM.

Configure /usr/sap/hlm_bootstraps/H01/HLM/hlm.sh

osgi>

Many thanks,

Nitin Jain

cecogaidev
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi,

I agree that the messages are not very clear, but the HLM was started successfully. The 'osgi>' comes from the OSGi console, so you should not care about that :smile: , i.e. as long as you see the 'osgi>' prompt, the server is running and you will be able to access the HLM WebUI page. Have in mind that the HLM will serve requests as long as the started script (bootstrap-hlm.sh) is not stopped.

IMPORTANT: Please use the manual start procedure only if you have problems with the automatic start. Normally the HLM will be started (stopped) automatically if you open the following URL: https://fqdn:1129/lmsl/HLM/SID/ui/?sid=SID   (SID is your system id)

Regards,

Tzvetan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

But how can I confirm if the HLM is running, I have tries HDB info, but it does not display any HLM processes and ps -ef | grep -i HLM, which provides me with the following output:-

h01adm   34636 17729  0 08:49 pts/0    00:00:00 grep -i HLM

What does this supposed to mean?

Thanks,

Nitin Jain

cecogaidev
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi,

If you really like to use the manual start, do the following:

1. Open terminal and execute the bootstrap-hlm.sh (as you did), but don't close the terminal (it's not background process). Also you should not kill the started OS process.

2. Open another terminal with root. Execute "ps -ef | grep java" the result will contain the HLM's java OS process.

3. Open https://fqdn:1129/lmsl/HLM/SID/ui/?sid=SID in the browser and the index.html page will be loaded

BTW: The HLM is not part of the DB OS processes, it's separate tool used to manage the lifecycle (install/update/configuration) of one SAP HANA system

Regards,

Tzvetan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nitin,

Can you share the SAP HANA.SAR file for installing HLM to install manualy? I dont have an access to smp.

thanks

0 Kudos

I am getting the following error when I access HLM via browser

"Forbidden: The user <sid>adm is not authorized to process the operation ExecutOperation"

What is the password for <sid>adm user ?

Thanks

Raj

cecogaidev
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Actually the <sid> is you 'System Id' (e.g. ABC) but with lower cases (e.g. abcadm) and it's a OS user.

Regards,

Tzvetan

0 Kudos

Yes. MY SystemID is DMO and when i use dmoadm to connect to HLM via IE

https://fqdn:1129/lmsl/HLM/SID/ui/?sid=DMO

I get the following error "Forbidden: The user dmoadm is not authorized to process the operation ExecutOperation"

cecogaidev
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

You are using a wrong url, try with: https://fqdn:1129/lmsl/HLM/DMO/ui/?sid=DMO

If you use SP07 or later the query parameter is optional, i.e. you can also use https://fqdn:1129/lmsl/HLM/DMO/ui/

0 Kudos

Thanks Tzvetan.. I over looked the other SID mentioned in the url.. Its working now..

Thanks

Raj

0 Kudos

Hi,

What can I use instead of fqdn, if I'm running the browser remotely?  I'm using SP07 and don't have local access to the server.  If I try launching HLM from Studio, I get this error: "Cannot determine Software Update Manager for SAP HANA SP number.  Software Update Manager for SAP HANA cannot be started remotely."

It seems HLM is not running, so I was hoping to launch it via browser remotely.

Thanks in advance!!

Raul

cecogaidev
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Raul,

I encourage you to use the browser with the following url:

https://hostname:1129/lmsl/HLM/<SID>/ui/?sid=<SID> - the SID is your System ID

Also ensure that the ports 1128 & 1129 are opened.

In regards to the studio problem: Either there is no installed HLM on the system or your studio is too old. (otherwise there is problem with the system's setup, i.e. it's recommended to re-install the HLM)  

Regards,

Tzvetan

Former Member
0 Kudos

After installing HLM , start the HLM using

/hana/shared/<SID>/HLM/bootstrap-hlm.sh

There is bootstrapped HLM

Checking for running HLM...

There is no running HLM.

Configure /usr/sap/hlm_bootstraps/HDB/HLM/hlm.sh

you will see the above message.

However you will not see any process running at os level as per SP7 

ps -ef |grep -i HLM

But you can go ahead launch HLM from HDB studio it works

Thanks

Rabi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I have installed HLM sucessfully and varified  and tried connect from all ways( SIDadm, pwd , brower etc)  to connect DB ..when placing SIDAM, pwd ,its recurrently promoting pwd and eventually not accepting pwd to move ahead.

Thanks,

Sankar

svelpula
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Sankar

Can you please post the output of the below command

/hana/shared/SID/HLM/hlmcli/hlmcli.sh --sid <SID> --sidadm_pwd  --help

Thanks,

Srikanth

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello All,

My issue has been resolved with following SNOTE

1979610 - Unable to open HLM due to invalid credentials

Regards,

Sankar

0 Kudos

Hi All.

I am getting the following error after installing HLM SP6

Operation StartHLM [id=000C29B26DBE1ED49194C9D48D099343] terminated with errors : 127 (null)

Please help

Thanks

Rajendra

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rajendra,

Did you followed all pre-requisites

- Latest host agent

- sapuxusercheck permissions

- new version of java etc..

please let when you exactly getting error message. I mean right after placing sidadm , pwd etc .

Regrads,

Sankar

cecogaidev
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Please restart the SAP Host Agent, i.e. execute the following command as a root user:

/usr/sap/hostctrl/exe/saphostexec -restart

Regards,

Tzvetan

0 Kudos

Hi Tzvetan,

I though SP6 had some problem so it tried with SP7.

These are the steps I followed:

1) extracted SAPHANALM07_12-10012745.SAR to /tmp/HLMSP07

2) Copied SAPHANALM07_12-10012745.SAR to /tmp/HLMSP07

3) Ran. ./hdbinst

I got error saying couldn't find /tmp/install/sdbrun.

4) I coped the sdbrun and all files under /tmp/HLMSP07/instruntime

5) re-ran the

./hdbinst . This time it  was successful.

HLM folder got created in my /hana/shared/SID

However, bootstrap-hlm.sh was created in a sub folder i.e /hana/shared/SID/HLM/HLMSP07

The subfolder name was same as the folder under which I had extracted the SAR file.

6) To fix this I copied all the contect in /hana/shared/SID/HLM/HLMSP07 to /hana/shared/SID/HLM

7) started the HLM

😎 Now the error is "Unable to locate the requested resource" when I access

https://hostname:1129/lmsl/HLM/DMO/ui/?sid=DMO

DMO is my SID

Please suggest a solution

Thanks

Rajendra

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rajendra,

I am development support for HLM.

Here is the easiest way to install HLM:

Stop all browsers that have HLM pages open

Stop the Studio

Execute /usr/sap/hlm_bootstraps/<SID>/HLM/stop-hlm.sh –f

Check that there are no any left HLM processes

Rename the existing directories:

/usr/sap/hlm_bootstraps/<SID>/

/<hana shared>/<SID>/HLM/

go to service.sap.com and search for SAP HANA Lifecycle Manager

download HLM SP7 patch 12 and copy to a temporary directory 

unpack in a temporary directory

As root user, from the temporary directory execute:

./hdbinst

Regards

Petia

0 Kudos

Finally I was able to fix the issue.

1) extracted SAPHANALM07_12-10012745.SAR to /tmp/HLMSP07

2) Copied SAPHANALM07_12-10012745.SAR to /tmp/HLMSP07

3) Ran. ./hdbinst

I got error saying couldn't find /tmp/install/sdbrun.

4) I coped the sdbrun and all files under /tmp/HLMSP07/instruntime

5) re-ran the

./hdbinst . This time the installation failed at the Post installation activity. ie, while running ModifyHdbManifest.sh script which is available in the location /hana/shared/DMO/trans/hlm_install_1411653230/bangalore/configurations/exec

6) Reason for failure is because the installer was creating a new Folder under  /hana/shared/SID/HLM/ and installing all the content in this folder.

7) To fix this copy all the content from the folder to /hana/shared/SID/HLM

😎 Run the ModifyHdbManifest.sh again and the the installation will be complete

Do any one know why its creating a new folder under hana/shared/SID/HLM instead of copying all the HLM files to  the base HLM folder i.e. hana/shared/SID/HLM

Thanks

Rajendra

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rajendra,

did you see my post below?

This is the easiest way to install HLM. In order to prevent further issues related to not completed installation - there is a step:

HLM installer will install HLM on:

Please don't do any other steps and don't execute other scripts.

I am development support for HLM and I provide these steps to many Customers. Please follow them and don't run additional scripts and don't copy files manually:

Stop all browsers that have HLM pages open

Stop the Studio

Execute /usr/sap/hlm_bootstraps/<SID>/HLM/stop-hlm.sh –f

Check that there are no any left HLM processes

go to service.sap.com and search for SAP HANA Lifecycle Manager

download HLM SP7 patch 12 and copy to a temporary directory 

unpack in a temporary directory

As root user, from the temporary directory execute:

./hdbinst

Thanks

Petia

0 Kudos

Hi Petia,

I will give it  a try today. Will let you know my observation.

Thanks

Rajendra

Former Member
0 Kudos

When I execute:

HLM is installed on my system: 

What am I doing wrong?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

why do you execute this script? HLM will be started automatically when you open HLM ui.

How to do HLM installation is posted above. After that you have to open HLM ui only.

Thanks

Petia

Former Member
0 Kudos

So I attempt to open:

A new tab opens with URL https://XX.XX.XXX.XX:1129/lmsl/HLM/HDB/ui/index.html?sid=HDB&hostname=XX.XX.XXX.XX

but opening fails with the message that the website is unavailable etc.

The credentials for user 'hdbadm' are never queried.

I am on AWS and have openend the ports accordingly:

Any ideas?

Former Member
0 Kudos

hello,

this screenshot is from HALM and this issue should be fixed in SPS09.

If you want to use HLM via browser:

https://<hostname>:1129/lmsl/HLM/<SID>/ui/

thanks

Petia

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Petia, but the link you provide is exactly the URL that is attempted to open:

A new tab opens with URL https://XX.XX.XXX.XX:1129/lmsl/HLM/HDB/ui/index.html?sid=HDB&hostname=XX.XX.XXX.XX

but opening fails with the message that the website is unavailable etc

or do you mean I simply got to wait for SP9???

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

in general HLM is already deprecated and replaced by hdblcm/hdbalm. hdbalm(HALM) has a fix in SPS09 - open the right url to the new recommended tool. If this is a lower than SPS09 system there are many reasons if you cannot open HLM ui via https://<hostname>:1129/lmsl/HLM/<SID>/ui/

you need:

properly installed HLM and SAP Host Agent

enabled https connection and opened port 1129

as a start point for your investigation you can increase SAP Host Agent trace level, open the HLM url again and check in SAP Host Agent logs

Thanks

Petia

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for this information :smile: I am on SP8 and for now I will wait.

former_member194780
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Petia,

Thanks for the explanation.. I have successfully installed HLM and sap host agent in my HANA system.

When I run the lifecycle manager in my studio it throws and "Error occurred while trying to start LCM" .. and I tried with web browser as well, it says cannot load the page.. Kindly help :smile: Thank you

-Avinash

former_member194780
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Tzvetan,

Thanks for the explanation.. I have successfully installed HLM and sap host agent in my HANA system.

When I run the lifecycle manager in my studio it throws and "Error occurred while trying to start LCM" .. and I tried with web browser as well, it says cannot load the page.. Kindly help :smile: Thank you

-Avinash

former_member194780
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Tzvetan,

Tried this... shows HLM started successfully after that osgi> ..

I can also see HLM java process running in another terminal using the "ps -ef|grep java"..

But when I tried opening the URL it doesnt load :sad: Webpage unavailable.. Please help

-Avinash

former_member194780
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

Were you able to upgrade from SPS8 to SPS10 using HLM ??..How do I install HDBLCM ?.

-Avinash

nicholas_chang
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Avinash,

As stated above, HLM is deprecated in SPS09. If you want to use LCM web, try the link below:

http://<hostname>:1128/lmsl/HDBLCM/<SID>/index.html

Please download the installation and update guide for more info.

Thanks,

Nicholas Chang

Labels in this area