Technology Blogs by Members
Explore a vibrant mix of technical expertise, industry insights, and tech buzz in member blogs covering SAP products, technology, and events. Get in the mix!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rcsegovia
Active Participant

I decided to share with you my experience setting up standard SAP Enterprise Services in SAP PI. I heard about Enterprise Services some years ago and I was involve during design phase in that project but without time to setup and test them. Finally years later I was involve into same project maintenance phase and I was proud to see my design working as expected and even better with some colleague improvement.

That was an introduction to let you know my Enterprise Services background. My current project required SAP PI configuration and some basis task that I was not able to do before, for example, setup and prepare Service Interface to be used.

I didn’t found any clear how to guide or SCN related discussion regarding the all process and for that reason I consider to write that blog to share with you.

Step 1:

Search Service Enterprise that match with your business requirements. You can go thru http://esworkplace.sap.com/

Once you find it out, I’ll say:  HandlingUnitERPRequestConfirmation_In

These details give you under which SAP SWC is your required Service Operation, write it down! SAP APPL 6.04

Step 2:

Download from SMP SAP APPL 6.04 SWC to upload in SAP PI ESR.

1. Under Software Downloads --> Support Packages and Patches  -->  Browse our Download catalog --> SAP Content --> ESR Content

All SWC are listed:

Chose yours and find the correct file...

Make sure to download your correct .zip file corresponding with you component version in ECC in order to activate properly abap Proxies in backend.

Check your SP version in System/Info

Step 3:

Import SAP APPL  SWC from SLD in ESR

Step 4:

Upload ESR object from *.tpz file downloaded in step 2.

That step can take few minutes…

Finally we get APPL SWC in our ESR PI. Just need to confirm if Services Interface are available from txcode: sproxy at your backend.

Check in tcode: sproxy that everything was right.

Enterprise Services ready!

If not, don’t panic SAP note 1528587 -PI ESR Content 0bjects are not visible in SPROXY is giving us a workaround to activate Services at backend.

You need to copy all objects created during APPL upload in SAP SWC to your own SWC, just need to create SWC in SLD and copy with option Transfer Design objects in ESR (namepaces should be copied with same name at custom SWC):

Following these steps you can go to tcode: sproxy in your backend and see all Services activated under your custom SWC:

*No sure if workaround is giving us a correct activation in back end or we need to apply some other correlations.

Cheers,

Roberto Cantero.

24 Comments
Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for consolidating the steps required to make it work. That will save me a lot of time

- Sergio

Former Member
0 Kudos

Nice one.

--Divyesh

rcsegovia
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks my friend :wink:

rcsegovia
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks you Divyesh.

cheers,

Roberto.

ravi_reddy1
Participant
0 Kudos

good explanation............ :smile:

-------------------Ravireddy

rcsegovia
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks Ravireddy!

Roberto.

Former Member
0 Kudos

great job, man! This one goes to my bookmarks

rcsegovia
Active Participant
0 Kudos

I knew you would like it! :wink:

Harish
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks for providing the information, the consolidate step will help.

rcsegovia
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Thank you Harish!

AntonioSanz
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Nice and usefull blog.

Congrats Roberto.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Excellent! Very useful.

rcsegovia
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks Antonio.

rcsegovia
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Many thanks.

Former Member
0 Kudos

nice blog...many thanks for your info.

former_member187010
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks for sharing this Roberto :smile: ...

phil_enslin
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks Roberto,

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Roberto

Thank you so much for this very helpful blog.

I am trying to setup enterprise service in PO. I followed all the steps given in your blog.

I was able to import the objects into the ESR.

However, all the objects are grouped in models and i am unable to understand how i can use them.

Could you please share some insights?

I am currently working on PO 7.4 (Single Stack).

Regards,

Xineohpi.

rcsegovia
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi mate,

Looks like there is no option for that, read below link for details.

PO single stack designs and interaction models

I want to highlight answer from emil.jessen73:

The reason behind this is that these models used WSRM communication,

but this adapter type is not available in java-only PI installations.

cheers,

Roberto.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Roberto

Thanks for that...!!! :smile:

Cheers!

0 Kudos

Good work Roberto!!! Great to see so many ex-colleagues here 🙂

Thanks,

Krishna.

rcsegovia
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hey Krishna glad to know about you, and thanks for the kind words.

Roberto.

Former Member
0 Kudos
Hi Roberto,

I have been a long time fan of the SAP standard enterprise services. You can see my blog about some of my thoughts and concerns here: https://blogs.sap.com/2015/03/26/documenting-message-mappings-beware-of-enhancements/

Anyway, I just wanted to comment on your advice to "just need to create SWC in SLD and copy with option Transfer Design objects in ESR". This is not needed, and I would recommend not doing this. The reason why some PI content might not be visible in SPROXY, is because you need to import the PI content into your ESR that match the respective component's version in the backend. In your screenprint, I can see that your backend has SAP_APPL 6.17 SP1. So you will need to install the SAP standard PI content for this version.

Usually, when I start a project, I begin by installing all the PI content that match what is in the backend systems. For example, you can import as many versions of SAP APPL into ESR as you like, which might be relevant if you have multiple backend systems with different versions of same components installed.

With this setup, you can simply use the SAP standard ESR content. And if you need to change something, then you can enhance the SAP standard enterprise services usingdata enhancements from a custom SWCV which has dependency to the SAP standard component.

Just some thought from a standard entusiast, who like solutions where we create as few custom objects as possible.

Best regards, Emil
rcsegovia
Active Participant
0 Kudos
Hi Emil,

Many thanks for your comments and glade to know some SAP ES fan!

br,

Rober.

Labels in this area