Technology Blogs by SAP
Learn how to extend and personalize SAP applications. Follow the SAP technology blog for insights into SAP BTP, ABAP, SAP Analytics Cloud, SAP HANA, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
FrankDensborn
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert

Data migration is a major task and key for a successful SAP implementation. SAP Rapid Data Migration with SAP Data Services enables you to migrate your data, ensuring your data can be trusted by the users and is ready for business process execution within SAP systems as Business Suite powered by HANA, ERP, SAP Business All-in-One, CRM, and SAP industry solutions for utilities. New content includes data migration content for SAP's HCM suite in the cloud SuccessFactors Employee Central, SAP Cloud for Customer, and SAP BW. The first ever RDS package available for SAP HANA Cloud Integration has just been released offering content for a Rapid Data Migration to HCM cloud, Workforce Analytics (WFA).

Data migration projects are relevant for all companies that need to move data from one application to another but planning for a data migration project is a major task. Migration projects are risky. If not done correctly, they can cause a myriad of issues, including delayed production go-live, poor data quality that prevents core business processing, and poor user adoption of the new or upgraded SAP system. Cleansing, transforming, and loading data into a new SAP application can seem like a daunting task. For those of you interested in data migration solutions that are fast and easy to deploy or want state-of-the-art data migration best practices so that you can be a data migration maestro, check out SAP’s Rapid-deployment solutions for Rapid Data Migration.

Understanding SAP Rapid Data Migration

SAP Rapid Data Migrations has three major components:

• Software driven by SAP Data Services (hereafter Data Services)
  • Migration content developed by SAP’s Rapid-deployment solution organization
  • Consulting services provided by SAP Services and partners

Watch the demo recording: http://youtu.be/jHbBxtLR98c

Downloading SAP Rapid Data Migration content

SAP's rich RDS content for a rapid data migration:

The combination of the software, migration content, and optional consulting services provides a complete solution for migration to SAPapplications. Please find a list of the supported objects here.

Data Services is a key element of SAP’s solutions for enterprise information management (EIM).  Data Services provides capabilities for data integration, data quality management, and text data processing. If you’re looking for more information about SAP’s EIM solutions, there is a new book EIM with SAP that explains the changing face of EIM at SAP: what the different products are, how they work together, and how to get started using them. For the purposes of data migration, the focus is on the data integration and data quality management capabilities. The piece for data integration is an extraction, transformation, and loading (ETL) tool for ETL aspects from one or many sources to one or many target systems. Together with the data quality piece it is best suited for migration between non-SAP applications to SAP.

Leveraging the SAP BI platform, the data migration solution also enables BI reporting and contains dashboard analysis. The migration content includes some SAP Web Intelligence reports to get a better picture of the entire data migration process and its progress also for business users.

SAP Data Migration software is used across the following steps:

1. Profile and extract data from the source system 
  2. Map the data to the target data structures
  3. Validate the data against the target business context (i.e., the business rules of the target system, such as if there are specific fields required or if the country codes are correct)
  4. Load the data into the target SAP system
  5. Reconcile the data between the target SAP system and the source system
  6. Repeat the entire process iteratively until the data is ready for loading into the production target system

Let’s take a look at the architecture of data migration in Figure 1. We’ve called out six specific areas, which we discuss in more detail.

Figure 1 Architecture of data migration using SAP software and SAP Rapid Deployment solution components

1.  Source and target systems: First look at the target environment and legacy data environment. These show the source and target applications. When using the Rapid Data Migration for SAP content, the environment is always an SAP application, typically including the rapid-deployment solution for Data Migration package. The legacy environment can be any non-SAP environment, from connectivity to databases, legacy applications, flat files, or XML. 

2.  Extract and profile: The staging area is provided using Data Services. In this staging area, you extract and profile data from the source systems. The profiling of data is a critical step as it provides insight into the state of the existing source systems. Examples of important details you can check for are patterns across data. For example, in the U.S., ZIP codes are five digits plus an optional four-digit code. A data assessment can determine how many unique ZIP codes you have and how often the ZIP+4 extension is used across your source systems. Another example is to know the pattern of country designations. For example, for Germany the terms Germany, DE, or Deutschland could be used in the source system.

3.  Cleanse, transform, and validate: This includes updating the data so that it meets specific patterns, transforming the data according to rules, and validating data against the SAP business context. This can involve combining two fields into one, splitting fields, updating the data within a field to match certain rules (for example, telephone number formats), and validating data against required fields and lookup values from the SAP business context and configuration. 

4.  Extraction of SAP configuration: As part of an SAP implementation, SAP is configured with many values such as plants, material types and groups, and sales territories. Mapping of the source data normally requires mapping fields that comply with the SAP configuration. The extraction of SAP configuration data takes the settings in the SAP system so that the source data can conform to the required format in the target system.

5.  Reconciliation: Reconciliation looks at what was actually loaded versus what was expected to be loaded.

6.  Reporting and dashboards: Throughout the process, dashboards are available for people involved with the project to know the status of the migration. Additionally, the migration starts the process of data quality expectations and governance around data management. 

The process outlined in Figure 1 enables companies to migrate data quickly and effectively – data migration is no longer a daunting task. The SAP Rapid-deployment solutions for data migration will empower you to cleanse, transform, and load data like never before. 

Look out for my next blog on data migration rapid-deployment solutions - including a step-by-step deep dive on using the migration content in Data Services, please read part 2 for that. If you want to know how to visualize your Data Migration projects, check out part 3.

For more information and to ask questions to the community, please visit our Data Migration SCN space:

Data Migration

116 Comments
surya_peri
Explorer
0 Kudos
Hello,

Do we have any RDS for SAP Ariba as of now or its planned in next releases?

Regards,

Surya
FrankDensborn
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos
Hi Surya,

Unfortunately, we don't have RDS packages for migrating to SAP Ariba and we're not planning on that.

However, we do have Best Practices content for integrating with SAP Ariba, please use the Best Practices Explorer as the single point of entry:
http://rapid.sap.com/bp

Regards,
FRANK.
gwwen
Discoverer
0 Kudos
Hi Frank,

This is so wonderful forum for RDM. I just has a question. I want to covert the WIP( production oder and the component and routings) from the legacy ECC5.0 to ECC6.0 on Hana. But SAP has a low performace when i use traditional method. I wonder if the RDM is a quicker way for conversion all these data.

FrankDensborn
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos
Thank you for the feedback!

First of all, let me ask you why you want to consider a greenfield approach (data migration to a new system) rather than brownfield (upgrading your system and converting it to HANA DB via DB migration)? Do you have issues with the upgrade or the DB conversion (or both)?

When you do a data migration into a new system instead, you should also do business process reengineering. You're starting with a brand new car rather than putting a new engine into your facelifted model. But it also means you have to setup the system from scratch.

I'd recommend to run an internal analysis and create the business case for both to compare and decide. Please validate that all required objects are part of the data migration content:
https://rapid.sap.com/bp/#/RDM_ERP_CRM

Regards,
FRANK.
0 Kudos
Hi Frank,

is there a RDM package for Article Master object specific to SAP retail ? I can see material master in list but not Article Master.
FrankDensborn
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos
Hi Deepak,

The standard ERP/CRM package does include the ARTMAS IDoc with the below segments:

• E1BPE1MATHED: Header Segment with Control Info

• E1BPE1MARART: Material Data at Client level

• E1BPE1MARART1: Material Data at Client level 1

• E1BPE1MAW1RT: Extension of Basic Data

• E1BPE1MAKTRT: Material Descriptions

• E1BPE1MARMRT: Units of Measure

• E1BPE1MAMTRT: Unit-Dependent Material Texts

• E1BPE1MEANRT: International Article Numbers (EANs)

• E1BPE1MLEART: Vendor-specific EANs

• E1BPE1MLANRT: Tax data

However, as this is an older package, it might not fulfill your needs or be outdated for your system. You should double-check for that.

This package can be downloaded here:
https://rapid.sap.com/bp/#/RDM_ERP_CRM

Best regards,
FRANK.
0 Kudos
Thank you for the response and i agree that this may not be enough for the build. I will need to add other view flows in the package.
vijayb
Participant
0 Kudos
Hi Frank,

"The combination of the software, migration content, and optional consulting services provides a complete solution for migration to SAP applications. Please find a list of the supported objects here"

http://scn.sap.com/docs/DOC-55443

In above paragraph, looks like supported objects URL content is unavailable.

Could you please provide us the new URL which was migrated to new SAP community or information which is in that link.

Thanks,

Vijay
kalpesh_pandey
Contributor
0 Kudos
Hi Frank, Do you know that in recent BPDM/RDM package there is a job Job_DM_Vendor_MC which is not working?  First of all this job will fail validation. It has fields like Title, Many J_ fields, BPEXT and so on in Vendor General and in 2 more places for mapping. These fields are not present in Excel input file defined "MC_VENDORGENERALDATA". They all have red X. Looks like even validation did not happen. Anyway, I solved these by mapping these to null. Then I ran this job with sap provided sample data. It failed with below error. We thought it could be memory issue and bumped memory to 48 GB. But this is the issue with 4-5 validate DFs. All those DFs are failing. Validation conditions added in Validate Transform is causing this issue. (I am told that these are now part of interview questions to judge how if a candidate is used RDM). Finally, I could resolve all issues and could use RDM but it was a shock at the beginning.

|Session Job_DM_Vendor_MC|Data flow DF_DM_VendorGeneralData_Validate
Data flow <DF_DM_VendorGeneralData_Validate> received a bad system message. Message text from the child process is
<Pvᄑ゚==========================================================
Collect the following and send to Customer Support:
1. Log files(error_*, monitor_*, trace_*) associated with this failed job.
2. Exported ATL file of this failed job.
3. DDL statements of tables referenced in this failed job.
4. Data to populate the tables referenced in the failed job. If not possible, get the last few rows (or sample of them) when
the job failed.
5. Core dump, if any, generated from this failed job.
==========================================================>. The process executing data flow <DF_DM_VendorGeneralData_Validate>
has died abnormally. For NT, check errorlog.txt. For HPUX, check stack_trace.txt. Also, notify Technical Support.

kalpesh_pandey
Contributor
0 Kudos
I used jobs from RDMS4HOP04_0-80001221.zip.
0 Kudos
Hi Frank,

Good Day,

Quick question I know you are data guys, I want to down load templates for each migration object for SAP Data Services like where we are downloading the templates from hana cockpit LTMC. Where we can down templates from data services for each migration like material master, vendor, customer etc. Please let me know I want down load the templates from data services or RDM Content along with ATL files because these templates for functional guys to provide data to load using data services.

Thanks in advance

srini
0 Kudos
Dear Frank,

Thank you for the detailed info. I may be bit late looking at your blog but as they say "Its better late than never :-)".

Well, I'm trying to load Materials via Data Services (target S4). I have downloaded latest RDM repo to use the material master loading package. The atl uses MATMAS_MASS_BAPI and I copied it into my job and altered as per my requirement. I'm able to trigger the idoc in the target system but the idoc fails. Seems some configuration to call/use the function module is missing. I have tried configuring Process Code/Function Module etc., but couldn't succeed.

Hence, I want to go back and use MATMAS/MATMAS06 (traditional way) to load the material data. But here, I'm failing to generate the IDOC itself. I'm getting NRDM error (something to do nesting, i dont know). Do you have a standard atl of using MATMAS package and share it here so I can reuse?

Looking forward hearing from you soon.

Thanks & regards
IlianaOlvera7
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Dear Shiva,

Are you using the standard RDM package for SAP S/4HANA or the MATMAS_MASS_BAPI to load material data?

Currently, there is no RDM package using MATMAS. 

If you are using the standard RDM then, the configuration guide W01 should also be implemented.

If you are not using the standard RDM, I´m afraid that support by SAP is out of scope. 

You can find more information about the SAP Rapid Data Migration for SAP S/4HANA in the following SAP Note:

Note: If you encounter errors using the package SAP RDM for SAP S/4HANA, please verify first that you have downloaded the latest content attached to the note above. This, to ensure that you are working with the most current version (before opening an OSS/CSN message on component SV-RDS-EIM).

Best regards,

Iliana

0 Kudos
Thank you for your response IIiana..!! I have downloaded the RDM package and tried with BAPI method but i dont have configuration guide on what to setup in the target.. could you please share the guide here if you have? I have created in LS for BAPI in WE20 and process code. But not sure what function module to be used there.. whilst processing the idoc it dumps saying incrroect function module call for IDOC_INPUT_MATMAS01.. pls advise..

Thanks
I have managed to fix the issue. I was just referring to incorrect Process Code. Now I have corrected it to BAPI and is working fine. Thanks for your help..!!
IlianaOlvera7
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Shiva,

I´m glad that you managed to find the issue and now is all working fine!

Best regards,

Iliana