Technology Blogs by SAP
Learn how to extend and personalize SAP applications. Follow the SAP technology blog for insights into SAP BTP, ABAP, SAP Analytics Cloud, SAP HANA, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Andrew_Fox
Advisor
Advisor

Wordle has taken to world by storm since it became public in October 2021 and many of us are hooked on the daily challenge.

What is wordle

Wordle is a web-based word game developed by Josh Wardle, a programmer who previously created the social experiments Place and The Button for Reddit. Players attempt to guess a five-letter word in six attempts; feedback, in the form of colored tiles, is given for each guess, informing players which letters are in the correct position and which are in other positions of the answer word. The mechanics are similar to those in games such as Mastermind, though Wordle specifies exactly which letters in each guess are correct. There is a specific answer word for each day, which is the same for everyone. (Source Wikipedia)

Whats your strategy?

There are about 112,000,000 results in Google when searching for the best strategy to solve Wordle and social media is flooded with people sharing how quickly they solved the challenge.  Each game starts with a single word and I often find myself asking ...   I wonder what others goto start words are. There are lots of blogs that identify the best start words that are either logical solutions or complex scripting.

How can visualising data help with solving Wordle?

The list of 2,315 possible solutions is publically available, so if we know the list of answers can data visualisation help?

Using simple data augmentation, visualisation and filtering in SAP Analytics Cloud you can enter your Green tiles and the list of possible words is refined and refined as you progress.

Data Preperation

The Wordle possible solutions can be freely downloaded and give a simple list of 2,315 words

After loading this into SAC the data needed to be augmented with a column containing a single letter for its position in the word.

This can easily be achieved using the Wrangler Expression Language.

Additionally we need to add a single containing a number 1 for all rows to give us something to count up.

The in built data explorer is fantastic as you can select the correct green letter and it's position  and the visualisation below will refine the list of possible words.  As you can see there are not 26 letters in each letter selector as the selectors are associative.

So to take this a little further in presentation style you can ahieve the same using a SAC Story.

3 Comments
DeanFarrow
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
I love wordle and I love this blog
hugo_degroot2
Participant
Or use ZWORDLE, a little ABAP program 🙂
Use abapGit to install it easily!
https://github.com/hdegroot/zwordle
vivien_boche
Employee