Technology Blogs by SAP
Learn how to extend and personalize SAP applications. Follow the SAP technology blog for insights into SAP BTP, ABAP, SAP Analytics Cloud, SAP HANA, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
It's just one week until the official start of Devtoberfest 2021 on October 1st and we have a lot of exciting news and updates to share with you about the event. So let's dive right in.

What's Devtoberfest?

Maybe you are saying, well that sounds cool; but what is Devtoberfest. For the introduction to all the basic information about Devtoberfest, please give this blog post a read: Devtoberfest 2021: The Developer Strikes Back | SAP Blogs.

Devtoberfest Launch Party

Since first announcing Devtoberfest, we've been adding more sessions and their details to the agenda. So please check back each week to find the final content offering. To get things started in Week 1, we are happy to share that the kick-off Launch Party session will be led by SAP's Executive Board Member and CTO, juergen.mueller!

Juergen will be on hand to welcome everyone to another year of Devtoberfest, discuss the close ties between Devtoberfest and TechEd, share his thoughts on year-round learning for developers and give a sneak peek at some of the additions and improvements for SAP TechEd this year.

Then in the remainder of the Launch Party session, thomas.grassl will give you insights as to what to expect over the next 6 weeks of Devtoberfest. He will highlight the topic weeks, how the Devtoberfest contest will work, preview the Fun Friday activities.

This session will be live streamed on the SAP Developers YouTube Channel on October 6th at 18:10 CEST / 21:40 IST / 12:10 EDT. So mark your calendars and set your YouTube reminders now and don't miss out on this exciting live session.

Fun Friday Activities

Each Friday during Devtoberfest we will also have fun community activities and for Week 1 we have something extra special. We are going to be taking a virtual tour of the computer history museum together. We will be able to chat along with the rest of the community and ask questions during the tour. And best of all, the Computer History Museum Senior Curator, Dag Spicer, will join us live to answer your questions!

This session will take place on Friday, October 8th  at 16:00 CEST / 19:30 IST / 10:00 EDT also via the SAP Developers YouTube Channel.

Contest Activities

Each week we are going to have opportunities for you to earn points for the Devtoberfest contest and week 1 is no exception.  We've posted the activities that will start in week 1. You can earn points by registering to Devtoberfest, contributing to the Open Documentation Initiative or even just attending the Launch Party or the Fun Friday activity and then completing a short quiz about the session. Each week we will post the list of points earning activities in the Devtoberfest GitHub repository.

And speaking of points and the contest; you can't win if you don't both register for the event and supply your SAP Community ID in the registration. We've unfortunately seen more than a few registrations that missed adding their SAP Community ID. But it's not too late as you can also return to the registration and add the Community ID after the fact.

Return to the Registration Page.

You should see that Eventbrite has recorded you as going to this event.  You can click on View your order.

Once in your registration you choose Edit.

From there be sure to fill your Public SAP Community Profile user name field and then Save the changes.

If you are unsure about your Public SAP Community Profile user name, you can always visit https://people.sap.com and login.  Your Community Profile user will be displayed at the top of the Dashboard/Overview.  For more details you can also refer to this tutorial on the subject: Update and Maintain Your SAP Profile at people.sap.com | Tutorials for SAP Developers

37 Comments
FredericGirod
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
Hi Team,

do you know how long it takes to the batch job to run, after we made the correction of the Registration described just upper ?

Best regards

Fred
thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
They are syncing them once a week at the end of the week. So they should all get updated today.
Rajshekhar1
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Team,

I have added my user name in eventbrite last month only, but I am not seeing any DEVTOBERFEST badge and also not seeing any update in DEVTOBERFEST gameboard.

Any pointer to contact to resolve this issue?

Regards,

Rajshekhar

thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos
I checked your SCN Profile and you do have the Devtoberfest participation badge and the Gameboard displays your progress. Devtoberfest 2021 (ondemand.com) I don't see anything wrong here. Are you using the correct SCN ID? I just clicked on your ID here in the comment and checked that ID.
stevengong1
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos
Hi Thomas;

I have same issue, not sure where I did mistake. I checked few time in recent weeks, still not show up correctly.
Rajshekhar1
Advisor
Advisor
Hi thomas.jung

Now I am seeing badge and also progress on gameboard.

Thank you so much for personally looking into it.

Regards,

Rajshekhar

thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos
I don't see the badge on your account either.  I'll send it over to the team managing the registration and have them check the Eventbrite for it. I'll let you know what I find out.
oberholzer25
Discoverer
0 Kudos
I have been trying for a few days now. Finally my scn id in the url seemed to be at least recognized but it still does not say that I am registered. My EventBrite screenshot depicted below. Maintained my scn id oberholzer25 in Eventbrite registration.

Regards,

Hendrik Oberholzer
thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos
Thanks for reporting this.  I've asked the team managing the registrations to have a look and we will figure out why the badge hasn't come over yet.
former_member770664
Discoverer
0 Kudos
Thank you for the quick reply Thomas! Looking forward to participating.
tanveer_ahmed
Discoverer
0 Kudos
Hello Thomas,

I have updated my SCN profile( tanveerahmed321), and also I have

registered for the DevtoberFest 2021, I can see the Badge in my profile , However I cannot see the

Gameboard updated for my profile.

Could you please help me here.

Regards

Tanveer Ahmed

stevengong1
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos
Thanks so much Thomas. It is working now.
0 Kudos
Hello Thomas,

I seem to have the same problem that I did not get the badge - I only registered today unfortunately with a mistake in my spelling and corrected - my ID oliver.otto. I guess the batch run is still happening at the end of the week so I should be fine next week?

Kind regards

Oliver
thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
Looks like your badge is there now. Should be all good. Have fun!
thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos
I don't see the registration badge on your provide.  You have a Devtoberfest points badge for completing a tutorial but not the registration badge yet. Did you just register recently?  It's most likely that you've registered recently enough that you have been in one of the batch uploads the badge system yet.
thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos
Yes if you only registered today then it should go in the next badge uploaded over the weekend or Monday morning.
oberholzer25
Discoverer
0 Kudos
Thank you, everything working properly now!
former_member770937
Discoverer
0 Kudos
Hi,

I registered last friday and entered my ID during the registration, but I still do not have the badge.

Did the batch run still not run?

thanks

Mitch
thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos
Sorry but we are still waiting on the most recent batch to be loaded.
thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos
I just checked and your registration badge is there now and the Gameboard should load fine for you. Have fun!
thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
Just checked and your registration badge is there now. Have fun!
thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos
Just checked your registration badge is there now. Have fun!
former_member770937
Discoverer
0 Kudos
Thanks 🙂
Rohit_520
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello Thomas,

I  registered 4 days ago but forget to update the scn ID.  But I did not receive the registration Badge. I have updated scn Id today (rohit52080). I guess that's why I cannot see Gamerboard updated on my Profile.  Hope the batch will run during this weekend and I will be good by next Monday.

SCN Profile - rohit52080

Kind regards

Rohit Shukla

thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
The next batch run at the end of the week will pick that up.  You don't loose any progress in the mean time.  All other activities and badges are still recorded.  We just can't show you progress in the game until we know that registration is linked since the registration represents the legal acceptance to the contest terms and conditions.

Rohit_520
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos
Thanks a lot, Thomas.
Sookriti_Mishra
Active Participant
0 Kudos
Hey Hi Thomas,

Could you please check if my badge is available or not, my id is: "people.sap.com/sookritimishra".

Thanks
thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos
No badge yet.  When did you register?
Flavio
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
Hi thomas.jung,

I was signing into Devtoberfest 2021 last Friday, Oct 15th;

do you think I can get into the contest soon, or have I to wait till next Friday?

I'm asking since it seems I'm unable to commit any PR on github for the week 2 challenge...

Thank you!
thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
Your registration on Eventbrite for Devtoberfest doesn't have anything to do the PR on GitHub.  The registration is only used to make you eligible for prizes and track your progress on the gameboard.  What kind of issue are you having with the pull request?  Perhaps it's best if you detail that problem in an issue in the GitHub repo.
MarcelB
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Thomas 

Thanks for the great event. I got already some badges, but when I call the game, I get the message, my profil (marcel.biri) is not public. What could be wrong?

Kind regards

Marcel

thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos
I just had a look at the gameboard for your ID and it loads perfectly fine.  https://devrel-tools-prod-scn-badges-srv.cfapps.eu10.hana.ondemand.com/devtoberfestContest/marcel.bi...

It doesn't say anything about not being public.
MarcelB
Explorer
0 Kudos
Thanks and sorry, I am used to need for everything the S-user and not the public profile name
Rohit_520
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Thomas. I still did not receive the registration (participation) badge.

I have updated my SCN Id in the event bride almost a week ago.

Attaching registration screenshot for reference

Can you kindly look into this?

thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos
I forwarded your information to the team taking care of the registration badges.
thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
It is corrected now. You have the registration badge and the gameboard shows your progress.
Rohit_520
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos
Thanks, Thomas. I got the badge now.