Technology Blogs by SAP
Learn how to extend and personalize SAP applications. Follow the SAP technology blog for insights into SAP BTP, ABAP, SAP Analytics Cloud, SAP HANA, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
thomashertz
Explorer
I’m excited to announce that SAP launched a fully managed Kubernetes runtime based on the Kyma open source project, the SAP Kyma Runtime, or officially “SAP Cloud Platform, Kyma runtime”. With this, you can now get a Kubernetes-based offering as part of SAP Cloud Platform next to the Cloud Foundry application runtime, or ABAP runtime – letting you choose what best fits your needs.

What is the Kyma runtime?

There is often a need to extend existing SAP and non-SAP solutions to create a competitive advantage and therefore a more comprehensive and unique customer experience. With the launch of the SAP Kyma Runtime SAP offers customers and partners an environment that allows them to build extensions by using both microservices and serverless functions. This way it offers not only the possibility to extend one SAP solution, it also allows combining existing IT solutions to create new capabilities.

At the same time, we want to make it easy for the cloud-native developers to run their workloads by providing a Service Mesh based on Istio in a highly scalable environment. You can also write serverless functions and combine them with containerized microservices. On top of that, enabling Kyma runtime will provide you with an event bus, so that you can build event-based as well as API-based extensions. The provided API gateway allows you to consume the extensions you have built from the outside world.

Under the hood, Gardener open source is used for cluster and container management which will make it available across all cloud providers, removing hyperscaler lock-in while allowing for a highly scalable infrastructure. We start with an offering on Microsoft Azure and plan to add more hyperscalers over the next couple of months.

In short: the benefits of using Kyma runtime

Working with Kyma runtime, this extension allows you to:

• Mesh Serverless Functions, Microservices or custom docker images in one runtime

• Upskill your developers quickly due to open standards

• Get a fully managed Kubernetes Runtime

• Leverage the built-in capabilities of Kyma:

• API Microgateway

• Event bus

• Service mesh

These technical capabilities optimize development and give you tangible business benefits:

• It reduces both the TCO and time-to-market

• Managed runtime that fits the needs and skillset of your work force for cloud-native solutions

• Aligned with SAP operational and release processes and standards

• Best services/tooling from hyperscalers, combined with open standards + SAP specific value add on top

Which solutions can you connect to?

In parallel to the Kyma runtime, the newly built Central Management Plane service was launched as part of any SAP Cloud Platform Global account. The runtime can be conveniently configured and managed by the Central Management Plane, which provides out-of-the-box connectivity to SAP S/4HANA Cloud, SAP Commerce Cloud, SAP Field Service Management and SAP Cloud for Customers. Further application connectors will be delivered to cover the entire Intelligent Suite.

How to get Kyma runtime?

The Kyma runtime is entirely consumption-based and auto-scales to your needs. To get started with SAP Cloud Platform, Kyma runtime, you can buy cloud credits via the Cloud Platform Enterprise Agreement and then automatically deploy one or multiple Kyma runtime in the region best fitting their need.

Users can also subscribe to additional Business- and Backing-Service offered on SAP Cloud Platform to reduce development efforts further.

Offering a Kubernetes-based runtime based on an open-source framework with SAP Cloud Platform, Kyma runtime is another step SAP is taking to strengthen the support for cloud-native development, promoting openness and open-source technologies – and providing the flexibility you need.

Additional resources:

Kyma Open Source website

SAP Help Portal

SAP Cloud Platform Discovery Center

Blog post: SAP Cloud Platform, Kyma runtime: How to get started

Kyma runtime onboarding mission
14 Comments
former_member563498
Participant
Great news !! This will turn weeks work into days.

Open sap course link https://open.sap.com/courses/kyma1
Marco_Dorn
Advisor
Advisor
Hello crmconsultant8,

We are glad that you like it! And we are working to make this as well available as part of the Partner Edge "Test&Demo, Development"-offering as well as SCP Trial.

Best regards,
Marco.
henrique_pinto
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
Thank you, thomashertz .

How is Kyma going to be leveraged by the other SAP Cloud Platform kubernetes-based services, such as Data Intelligence or HANA Cloud? SAP DI is based on SCP Gardener, which is SAP's implementation/operation of gardener open source, which seems to be the same thing Kyma is using. Are they separate services, at this point? Or is it the same thing?

Thank you very much,
Henrique.
thomashertz
Explorer
Many services are based on Gardener, correct. And we internally give Gardener out to teams so they can build scalable and reliable services on top. Not just e.g. HANA Cloud, but in fact the whole SAP CP Cloud Foundry will be ported to Gardener.   But of course things like a "runtime" like Kyma Runtime and a managed HANA Cloud Database are different things.  Kyma is the opinionated K8S Runtime including services on top like an Instio ServiceMesh, API Gateways etc and  made available to customers as well. From there you can access then services like HANA Cloud of course.

best, thomas

0 Kudos
Hi I am running into executing  : kyma provision minikube --vm-driver hyperv --hypervVirtualSwitch "minikube_switch" --memory 2000

Fails with below error . pls suggest the root cause and alternative option

- Requirements verified
Preparing Minikube using vm-driver 'hyperv'
? Do you want to remove the existing Minikube cluster? Type [Y/n]: Y
- Minikube status verified
- Minikube config initialized
Create Minikube instance: Start Minikube
X Create Minikube instance
Error: Executing 'minikube start --memory 2000 --cpus 4 --extra-config=apiserver.authorization-mode=RBAC --extra-config=apiserver.cors-allowed-origins='http://*' --extra-config=apiserver.enable-admission-plugins=DefaultStorageClass,LimitRanger,MutatingAdmissionWebhook,NamespaceExists,NamespaceLifecycle,ResourceQuota,ServiceAccount,ValidatingAdmissionWebhook --extra-config=apiserver.service-account-signing-key-file=/var/lib/minikube/certs/sa.key --extra-config=apiserver.service-account-issuer=kubernetes/serviceaccount --extra-config=apiserver.service-account-api-audiences=api --kubernetes-version=v1.16.3 --vm-driver hyperv --disk-size 30g -b kubeadm --hyperv-virtual-switch=minikube_switch' command with output '* minikube v1.13.0 on Microsoft Windows 10 Enterprise 10.0.17763 Build 17763
* Using the hyperv driver based on user configuration
* Starting control plane node minikube in cluster minikube
* Creating hyperv VM (CPUs=4, Memory=2000MB, Disk=30720MB) ...
' timed out, try running the command manually or increasing timeout using the 'timeout' flag
Marco_Dorn
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos
Hello manjunath_maram_16,

For Kyma Open Source, the best way to get community support is the open Slack workspace at http://slack.kyma-project.io/. There is a dedicated channel for #installation.

Best regards,
Marco.
Former Member
0 Kudos
Hi Thomas,

i'm tagging here for "the whole SAP CP Cloud Foundry will be ported to Gardener"

thank you,

greg
Marco_Dorn
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos
Hello Former Member,

I am not sure how I can help you out. Do you have a question regarding Thomas' statement?

Best regards,
Marco.
Former Member
0 Kudos
Hello Marco,

since Kyma just became available in the trial accounts and the last time I did anything with Kubernetes was over a year ago I would like to keep all these straight in my mind as much as possible:

1. Cloud Foundry

2. Kyma

3. Kubernetes

4. Gardener

i don't have any questions at the moment, but i understand github would be a good place to open any issues should i encounter them.

Thank you for jumping in and answering for Thomas.

rgds,

greg

Marco_Dorn
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos
Hello Greg,

I know you didn't ask the question but, let me bring it into perspective:

Kyma Runtime is the Kubernetes-based runtime in SAP Cloud Platform. It is based on the open source project www.kyma-project.io. To support many hyperscalers in the future, we use the open source project Gardener to install a vanilla Kubernetes on the hyperscaler's infrastructure to be as independent as possible from a particular vendor.
Hence, when you start exploring Kyma, you will be using Gardener and Kubernetes under the hood.

Cloud Foundry is the separate runtime offering from SAP Cloud Platform based on its open source project.

Best regards,
Marco.
Former Member
0 Kudos
Hi Marco,

thank you for clarifying this.

at the risk of oversimplifying things but also being 'heuristic' about it is it fair to say that all these open source projects are for putting Docker containers on the web?

one can still try and administer them in a 'dumb' terminal but for those who prefer clicking to typing Kyma and the rest are what modern cloud computing is about or serverless zero clients.

Thank you,

greg
0 Kudos

According to this recently completed CNCF Survey, the adoption rate of Cloud Native technologies in production is growing rapidly. Kubernetes is at the heart of this technological revolution. Naturally, the growth of cloud native technologies has been accompanied by the growth of the ecosystem that surrounds it. Of course, the complexity of cloud native technologies have increased as well. Just google for the phrase “Kubernetes is hard”, and you’ll get plenty of articles that explain this complexity problem 

mynynachau
Community Advocate
Community Advocate
0 Kudos
Hi Geovany,

I've just removed a link in your comment, please visit our SAP Community rules of engagement: https://community.sap.com/resources/rules-of-engagement

Best regards

Mynyna (SAP Community Moderator)
Marco_Dorn
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos
By the way, crmconsultant8, it is available as TDD license in the meantime (ref. https://blogs.sap.com/2020/09/11/kyma-runtime-now-available-for-partners-to-test-demo-develop/)