Technology Blogs by SAP
Learn how to extend and personalize SAP applications. Follow the SAP technology blog for insights into SAP BTP, ABAP, SAP Analytics Cloud, SAP HANA, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AndreaUS
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
Did you know that the ABAP Keyword Documentation provides complete and up-to-date lists of repository objects that are classified as released API and can be used in restricted ABAP language versions? There is a list for each type of repository object, for example, CDS data definition or RAP behavior definition.

To access this list of released APIs, use the following link: Released APIs.

Here’s how it looks like:

Released RAP behavior definitions

Released ABAP classes

The lists show all available released APIs for each object category. Object categories are, for example, ABAP class, DDIC domain, DDIC database table, and so on. The lists show the release contract under which an object is released. They also shows the ABAP language version in which the object can be accessed according to the rules of the release contract. The list is generated automatically, so it is complete and up-to-date. The column State indicates the release state of the API - either Released or Deprecated. If an API has been deprecated, the successor object is listed in the column Successor.

For more information about available ABAP language versions, release contracts, and released APIs, see the following topic: ABAP Language Versions, Release Contracts and Released APIs.

Kudos go to my colleague horst.keller, who has implemented this.

Further resources for released APIs:
9 Comments
larshp
Active Contributor

Thanks,

a: Does this list include released + deprecated objects? Eg DOMA TEXT9 is released and deprecated? https://abapedia.org/steampunk-2305-api/text9.doma.html

b: I guess the list does not include what is released in S/4 HANA Private cloud?

c: how does this new list relate to api.sap.com ? eg. https://api.sap.com/cdsviews/I_ACADEMICTITLE

update: there is also https://github.com/SAP/abap-atc-cr-cv-s4hc

SergioFerrariIt
Participant
Nice blog Andrea !

The SAP Clean Code approach is getting an hot topic and this hidden treasure is very useful together with ATC that can propose how to replace obsolete statements with new ones as lars.hvam mentionioned and that leverage datasets store here https://github.com/SAP/abap-atc-cr-cv-s4hc
AndreaUS
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert

Hi Lars,

a.This list includes only active released APIs. Deprecated objects are filtered out.

b. If you work in an S/4HANA Private cloud system, you can get the list as follows:

• Open the ABAP Keyword Documentation
  • Navigate to ABAP - Rules for ABAP Cloud > Released APIs. This topic generates a list of released APIs for the current system.

c. The ABAP Keyword Documentation generates lists of active released APIs for the current system. So any user can open it and find a list of APIs of their current system. The list on SAP Help Portal (ABAP Keyword Documentation (sap.com)) shows all released APIs from SAP Basis development.

How it relates to the Business Accelerator Hub and the github repo - perhaps we can say an additional offer parallel to these offers.

larshp
Active Contributor
a. Suggest adding that to the description, as a developer I'm interested in what can be used and what not. I'm also interested in knowing what the deprecated objects are and what the successors are.

b. As a developer I dont have access to a S/4 HANA Private Cloud system, I would like to know what is released, so I can do my developments today in a ABAP Cloud compatible way.

c. For the SAP partners developing products, its not always enough to know what is released in the current system, they would like to develop code that is compatible with as many customer systems as possible. All while avoiding installing every combination of SAP version, having a single public easy accessible list on the internet will help the entire ecosystem.
AndreaUS
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
a. Good feedback. I've handed in a requirement and we'll include a list of deprecated APIs in one of the future releases.

b. + c. Ok valid feedback. But for this, there is the API hub or GitHub repo that you've mentioned above. The ABAP Keyword Documentation cannot provide this unfortunately.
larshp
Active Contributor
thanks

a. alternatively add in the description that the list does not include deprecated objected
Jelena
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
Sorry, I'm confused what exactly is this list of... API implies something like a RAP API, for example: CDS views, behavior definition, etc. Or a class or good old BAPI could be called an API too.

But this list is like "AUTH - Authorization Check Fields" and then Object = ACTVT. Um... How is this an API? That doesn't make sense...

Trying to connect the dots, I see object types (e.g. DTEL or TABL), which are the technical names we'd also see in a transport or object directory. These are just assorted development objects that ABAPers might deal with. But these are not "APIs".

Is this just a poor choice of naming ( should be "released development objects") or am I missing something?
horst_keller
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert

Feedback welcome, list is enhanced by new columns for released/deprecated and successors in latest version.

https://help.sap.com/doc/abapdocu_latest_index_htm/latest/en-US/index.htm?file=abenreleased_apis.htm

horst_keller
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert

Please refer to the definition

released API

and follow the links.

When doing so, please be aware that it is not a beginner's guide but a reference documentation. And please also note that the documentation is not responsible for all of the namings.