Technology Blogs by SAP
Learn how to extend and personalize SAP applications. Follow the SAP technology blog for insights into SAP BTP, ABAP, SAP Analytics Cloud, SAP HANA, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
martinfrick
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
Hi community! 👋

Quick update – I stumbled upon an amazing feature while reading one of the latest blogs on PostgreSQL with Kyma. This discovery is about to make your developer life a whole lot simpler. I'm talking about nothing less than hybrid testing using SAP's managed PostgreSQL offering (PostgreSQL on SAP BTP, hyperscaler option) ! 🚀🎉

PostgreSQL | PostgreSQL is now available on the Kyma environment

Here's how it works: by utilizing the allow_access property in your Service Instance parameters within Kyma, you can effortlessly whitelist an IP address for your PostgreSQL database. This setup grants you the convenience of utilizing the Service Instance for hybrid development (see CAP documentation). Wow! Isn't that a great feature?

For instance, you can seamlessly integrate it into your CAP hybrid profile using cds bind. It's a fantastic approach that saves you the hassle of running a Docker Container or own PostgreSQL database locally (though that remains a valid choice, of course)! 🛳🚀
cds bind postgresql -2 postgresql-db --kind postgresql-db --on k8s --for hybrid

Take a look at the blog post series linked above (especially part 3 describing this feature) and give it a shot with the free tier service plans today! Do keep in mind that, as of now, this feature is accessible for dedicated AWS regions and Kyma exclusively. 🌐🔗

Sample configuration in Free Tier Kyma instance

I'm eager to hear your thoughts – do you think this will also significantly simplify your life as a developer? A big shoutout to silvia.pedroso  and the entire team for making this innovation a reality! 🙌👏

All the best,

Martin
4 Comments
alperdedeoglu
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
Wow Martin! Really good to know! Thanks for sharing!
This is great that we can whitelist an IP address to connect PostgreSQL.

Thanks also from my side to silvia.pedroso and the entire team.
martinfrick
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos
Thanks alperdedeoglu - Always a pleasure!
Albek
Explorer
Very useful. Thank you for sharing, Martin!

Do you know whether this feature is available for Cloud Foundry aswell?
martinfrick
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
Hi a.bekker,

To the best of my knowledge, this is planned but there isn't a specific timeline established yet. Fingers crossed for 2024.

Best,

Martin