Technology Blogs by SAP
Learn how to extend and personalize SAP applications. Follow the SAP technology blog for insights into SAP BTP, ABAP, SAP Analytics Cloud, SAP HANA, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Henry_Banks
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert

Hi Everyone,

I’m so happy that SAP Lumira Edge Server has been released to customer!  Here’s a quick overview of what we have with this initial 1.0 shipment:

This is an on-premise edition of Lumira Server for smaller teams: The Lumira Edge Server edition brings the power of a new, embedded, lightweight, in-memory acceleration engine called Velocity, whilst running on commodity hardware. This standalone server product is typically suited to Small Medium Enterprises (SMEs) & Lines of Business (LoBs) and is aimed at use-cases that consume smaller datasets and have lower complexity.

• It’s quick to download at 660 Mb zipped. Once installed, the footprint on disk is 2 GB, so it’s small & cheap to host.

• The server-side installation itself takes about 5 minutes, and is super-easy as there’s only 1 input screen!

• Post-installation, there’s almost no configuration at all, and the administration is minimal.

• The Administrator creates Users from the Members screen, defines their Role (end-user / admin), then license Type (concurrent / named):

• The Administrator defines Groups for the various teams of Users:

• The Administrator assigns Users to Groups:

• Only an Administrator can end sessions from their console. Also change licenses and restart the server from the Maintenance screen:

• When Users log-on, they can view shared Lumira documents online:

• Users can edit & visualize documents online. They can also Compose stories & infographics over the web:

• Desktop installations will need to be pointed to the Edge server, via the Preferences screen:

• Local desktop documents can be saved (uploaded) from the desktop client, to the Lumira Edge Server repository:

• Saved documents can then be downloaded again from server for desktop usage, or shared with other team mates via the server:

1. User and Admin guide (combined in one): http://help.sap.com/businessobject/product_guides/LumE1/en/lum_ee_10_en.pdf
    2. Release Restrictions: http://help.sap.com/businessobject/product_guides/LumE1/en/lum_ee_10_rel_rest_en.pdf

• A 5-minute recorded demonstration of Lumira Edge can be found here:

I guess all i need to say now is, Happy visualizing!  We @Sap can't wait to hear your feedback on the product, we are listening.

Please don't hesitate to ask questions on this blog, or alternatively, please open up a discussion thread in the Lumira forum.

Cheers,

H

77 Comments
0 Kudos

Hello Hector

Yes, version one is not supported on Non-English OS. However, if you would
like to continue you can refer to the below SAP note to work around this issue:

http://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/2118700

Regards

Reena

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello

It works and currently tryin it

Regards

Hector

Wolfgang_Mayer
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Henry,

I've installed the Lumira team server and from a technical perspective everything works as expected. Now, the Lumira Team server UI states that the license has to be renewed in 7 days. When clicking on "View license", the validity of the license is displayed as 2016-01-31 which is far more in the future than 7 days.

I've checked the available licenses on SAP marketplace, however, didn't find a license to be requested for the Lumira Team Server. I only found the Lumira Client which already has been licensed in our company.

Do you happen to know where we can obtain a license key? It's nothing our SAP account manager can answer because the product is not available in the pull-down menu of the licenseable products.

Thanks & regards

Wolfgang

Henry_Banks
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi,

I've been hearing the 2015 pricing being discussed internally at SAP these last 2 weeks. There's simplified licensing options for BI Edge & Lumira Edge customers.

I'd recommend going through here: https://support.sap.com/keys-systems-installations/installations.html   

(this is in a related part of the portal where you would maintain System (inc. license keys) and Installation(s) data. 

Click "Contact your local SAP contract department"  ->  "Contact Us" and complete the form to get the ball rolling.

As for the temp license key. Let me get back to you next week. 

In the meantime, why not delete it (and any other 'ghost' key), and type it back in manually . yes, i hit something similar to this before lol

Regards,

H

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello

Being doing some test and being thinking in using within SBO 9.0 but i get the the next message: "Your browser may not be supported and optimized" also added screenshot. What can I do in these case ? I tried entering the user and password but it never accepts it.

Any suggestions ?

Regards

Hector

Henry_Banks
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Please use google Chrome or IE11

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Henry - this is great news!

I've reached out to my sales guys but maybe you can answer... Is this covered in BO Suite licensing? I.e. Lumira client is in Named user BO Suite, but is the server side covered by BO Suite CSBLs?

Thanks

James

StephaneBailleu
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Henry,

My question is not about mobility but integration with FIORI, we have seen that the Lumira Server can be integrated into Fiori what about Lumira edge server ?

Also can you tell us more about this simplified licencing ?

Cheers

Stephane

Henry_Banks
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

No I don't think there's Fiori integration for Lumira Edge server right now. I would not be surprised if it is being considered, but the main momentum for Lumira Edge will be BI Edge/BIPlatform integration.

the changes to Edge licensing are things like (but not limited to) - you can mix NUL & CSBL in any quantity, up to stated max of 100 NUL and 50 CSBL (including blocks of 1 NUL). Lumira Edge and BI Edge are aligned. Please check with your account representative for more details.

Regards,

H

0 Kudos

The plan is when we have the add-on for the BI platforms, it will be included in the BO Suite License..

former_member197846
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Henry,

Thanks for your informative blog.

I went through the below link on Lumira Edge Server webcast

SAP Lumira, Edge Edition Webcast Notes with Question & Answer

As mentioned in the blog, Lumira documents (.lums) are saved from Lumira Desktop to Lumira Edge Server but it also allows viewing the document on Team Server Web UI. How is Lumira Edge Server architecturally different from "Save to BI Platform" functionality? As I understand, "Save to BI Platform" also allows saving Lumira documents (.lums) to BI Platform but do not allow viewing the same in Launchpad. User still requires Lumira Desktop for the same.

Please help me understand and correct me in case my understanding is not correct.

Thanks & Regards,

Abhijit

Henry_Banks
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

That's right, you've got it. a similar topic was being discussed here Re: Is it possible to view a Lumira Story without HANA?

Right now, there is no way to view a story in BI launchpad without a HANA, but this will change soon. 

In terms of Edge's architectural similarities - It authenticates against a CMS-like db, the web applications run on WACS, and it has FRS storage areas like BIP. Where it differs is that it has an in-memory engine for the processing.

Regards,

H

former_member197846
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks a lot Henry for clarification.

Regards,

Abhijit

sachin_sachdeva2
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Henry,

I'm not able to see the download link for my account for Lumira edge. We are RAMP-UP customer for BI Lumira- Add-on, still we don't see link to download edit.

Thanks

Sachin

Henry_Banks
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi,

just to clarify, this Lumira Edge server isn't the same as Lumira Server Bi Add On.  You already have superior capabilities when using Lumira Server on HANA!

if you want to proceed with Edge Server, you need to follow the process described in my comment here:  . It's here! SAP Lumira Edge Server   i.e. https://support.sap.com/keys-systems-installations/installations.html    

Regards,

H

0 Kudos

Hi Henry,

Does SAP Lumira Edge Edition support universes at all? that you connected to in SAP Lumira? or is it at the moment just direct queries to SQL Server 2008/2012? Can you clarify. As i cant find and information about universes with Lumira Edge Edition.

Thanks

Rebecca

Henry_Banks
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi,

Users can view universe-based stories online using this team-edition server, but they won't be refreshable online with the current architecture.

That is planned to be enhanced, of course!

Regards,

H

chris_anderson3
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Thanks for the great information Banksy. Another "Go To" document for us here.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Henry,

Can we share Predictive analysis also?

Thanks & Regards

Bhasin Naik

Henry_Banks
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi,

Yes, the workflow(s) "save to Lumira Edge server" and  "save to BI platform" are available from Predictive Analytics 2.x (Expert mode)

But as described in the Lumira edge server 'release restrictions' document (http://help.sap.com/businessobject/product_guides/LumE1/en/lum_ee_10_rel_rest_en.pdf)

it says "opening a Lumira document with predictive calculations using Edge edition results in error"

this is being worked on

Regards,

H

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi henry,

awesome tool when the next version launch and i suggest one thing embeded link that  sap provided for html <iframe> file in sap lumira cloud is also provided in edge server is great and very helpful

Regard

Dhananjay singh Chauhan

Former Member
0 Kudos

hey henry,

i need some information regarding latest version available of SAP Lumira, server for team for demo.

currently i am using 1.0 version

Regard

Dhananjay

Henry_Banks
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Yeah, a new Lumira Server for Teams 1.25 came out on 24.04.2015.

it's available at Software Downloads | SAP Support Portal

regards,

H

former_member186752
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Henry

Could you please comment on the Lumira Client and SAP Lumira Edge Server compatibility? What is recommended?

The latest Lumira Server for Teams is SAP Lumira Server for Teams 1.25 WINDOWS (64B)
Does this imply that only Lumira Client 1.25 can be used?

Cheers

Marian

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Henry,

Thank for this demonstration, i followed the whole steps, but the wizard is not finalizing the installation, it is showing the following screen for 20 minutes before timeout:

and then this last screen is shown until Timeout:

I inspected the Setup Engine Log and I found this entry several times:

14:04:35.628 2015/08/18, 02:04:35: RunRedistProgram: return value 2

14:04:35.628 2015/08/18, 02:04:35: CMS is up, but cannot log on to CMS. Trying again...

14:04:35.628 2015/08/18, 02:04:35: ... waited for 0 seconds ...

14:05:11.693 *#*_*FWM 20030|Could not reach CMS 'SERVNSISBI06:6400'. Specify the correct host and port and check for network issues. (FWM 20030)|Could not reach CMS 'SERVNSISBI06:6400'. Specify the correct host and port and check for network issues. (FWM 20030)*_*#*

I am installig SAP Lumira Server for Teams 1.28 on this VM:

Can you help me please?

Thanks.

Med Amine

Henry_Banks
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos
Former Member
0 Kudos

Ok, no problem, should I delete this post here?