Technology Blogs by SAP
Learn how to extend and personalize SAP applications. Follow the SAP technology blog for insights into SAP BTP, ABAP, SAP Analytics Cloud, SAP HANA, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
alex_bundschuh
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
As you may know, in SAP S/4HANA Cloud, the message monitoring capability is actually based on SAP Application Interface Framework (AIF). With the latest 2008 delivery of SAP S/4HANA Cloud, we have shipped a couple of AIF related features. Here, the major features at a glance.

Cancel and restart messages through the SAP Cloud Platform Workflow services

Since SAP S/4HANA Cloud 2005 it is possible to trigger a workflow instance in case of an error during message processing. The interoperability between SAP Application Interface Framework and SAP Cloud Platform Workflow has been enhanced so that you can either cancel or restart a failed message from within a workflow task.

Check out the sample project on Github, it has been enhanced with the new option of cancelling and restarting a message.

OData consumption supported in AIF

For synchronous OData service calls, AIF has been supported before, see SAP Help Portal. However, in this case you can only display the error messages, correcting the message payload, restarting, or cancelling messages of the OData service calls is not supported.

For OData consumption, i.e., when asynchronously exchanging messages through an outbound interface within an SAP S/4HANA Cloud system with a service provider using the OData protocol, interface implementation, runtime, error handling, restart of messages and the like is now supported.

SAP Fiori UX monitor – message monitor details

With SAP S/4HANA Cloud 2005, we have shipped a user interface in SAP Fiori UX technology providing a message overview. With 2008, the SAP Fiori UI has been enhanced supporting message monitoring details.

From the message monitoring overview which provides status information in a tile layout, you can navigate to a list of relevant messages.

Here, the following features are supported:

• Getting an overview of messages with dedicated status processed through the selected interface

• Filter for messages with the help of parameters like the status, message ID, key fields, etc.

• Display the log messages

• Restart or cancel a message if in status Error or In Process

• Set process information for a message incl. comments to inform your peers that you took over the message in order to fix the issue

• Provide an alternative (customized) message text replacing the original text of an error message

• Provide a hint, for example, to write a procedure on how to correct a common error

• Easy navigation to another app for dedicated key fields if key field navigation is configured

From the list of message view, you can select a message and navigate to the message details where actions can be taken for a particular message.

Roadmap

If you like to know which features are planned to be shipped in future, check out the SAP Road Map Explorer accessible from here.
15 Comments
former_member702350
Discoverer
0 Kudos
This blog is very informative. It covered all the essential SAP monitoring features very beautifully.
Former Member
0 Kudos
HI Alexander.  Did this make it into the 2020 on premise release?
alex_bundschuh
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos
yes, this will go into 2020

Alex
chrisbuergmayr
Explorer
0 Kudos
Hi Alexander,

great feature, but I am struggeling with the BADI. I want to allow the fields CostCenter and WBS to be edited for /MMPUR INVREQIN.

Here is my code, do you have an Idea why it does not work.

thanks for any hint.

best regards

Christoph Bürgmayr-Posseth
brittamangei
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos
Hi Christoph,

with the provided information I would guess that there is something wrong with the field path. Can you give more information about the used structure?

Best Regards

Britta
chrisbuergmayr
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Britta,

thanks for your quick reply.

I am exactly your opinon, my problem is the path, but I am not able to find the issue.

I am using the standard structure for /MMPUR INVREQIN.

We are on S/4Hana public cloud, so no backend access.

brittamangei
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos
Hello,

try to use the complete path (without the Root structure). It should look like below:

SUPPLIER_INVOICE-SUPPLIER_INVOICE_ITEM_GLACCT-SUPPLIER_INVOICE_ITEM_GLPOSTIN-COST_CENTER

Unfortunately I cannot see the complete structure. If SUPPLIER_INVOICE is not the first level you have to add the additional structures as well.
chrisbuergmayr
Explorer
0 Kudos
Hi Britta,

Thanks for your help.

That is the full string which works. (I now also added WBSELEMENT, works too)

'SUPPLIER_INVOICE_REQUEST-SUPPLIER_INVOICE-SUPPLIER_INVOICE_ITEM_GLACCT-SUPPLIER_INVOICE_ITEM_GLPOSTIN-COST_CENTER'.

But currently it only works in the (old) app: Message Dashboard

In the new app Message Monitoring - I click on the edit buttong, but Cost-Center and WBSELEMENT are not editable.

I noticed that the tab is named differently than in the old app, do I need to use a different path-field string?

best regards

Christoph

brittamangei
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos
Hi Christoph,

great to hear that it is working now.

In general the changeable fields are using the same information in both monitors. Can you open an incident on BC-SRV-AIF describing the issue? This needs some investigation.

Best Regards

Britta
omprakashnayaka
Discoverer
0 Kudos
Hi alexander.bundschuh
Can we reprocess both inbound & Outbound proxy message ?

I read about the OData Consumption you have explained , Are we saying that reprocess of Synchronous OData messages is not supported & Asynchronous OData messages can be reprocessed ?

I am running on S/4 On-premise 2020.
alex_bundschuh
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos
in general, you can restart async scenarios only, for sync a response has been returned to the caller already, here you can only show the error in the message monitor

Alex
omprakashnayaka
Discoverer
0 Kudos
Thank you
former_member785713
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Hi Alexander

Where do I find Key fields in the filter? I believe they need to be configured. Can you please provide more information on that?

Thanks

alex_bundschuh
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Kinnari,

yes, since key fields depend on the interface, they need to be customized.

See this blog for instance for a step by step description although when using the Fiori UI you can actually skip step #2, https://blogs.sap.com/2012/10/21/michals-pi-tips-application-interface-framework-aif-idoc-with-custo...

Here a couple of screenshots from the demo and trial system on CAL (https://blogs.sap.com/2021/12/22/sap-application-interface-framework-in-the-sap-s-4hana-fully-activa...) where I have setup key fields for a flight booking demo scenario:

First of all, you need to create an index table as copy of table /AIF/STD_IDX_TB, and add the key fields.

Then, in tx /AIF/CUST --> Error Handling --> Define Namespace-Specific Features, add the name of the index table.

Finally, in tx /AIF/CUST --> Error Handling --> Define Interface-Specific Features, define the key fields for multiple search

Alex

former_member785713
Discoverer
0 Kudos
Hi Alexander

Apologies for not being precise, I visited blog on configuring key fields in S4 Hana On-premise. I need to configure on S4 Hana Cloud (public). The document link for 'SAP S/4HANA 2021 SP00 Fully-Activated Appliance:Message Monitoring with SAP Application Interface Framework 'provided by you is really interesting. Even in the document it says at places that Interface's Index is configured but does not have information that which app(s) are used for that.

Really appreciate your response.

Thanks

Kinnari