Technology Blogs by SAP
Learn how to extend and personalize SAP applications. Follow the SAP technology blog for insights into SAP BTP, ABAP, SAP Analytics Cloud, SAP HANA, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SJ1111
Advisor
Advisor

Classic “Refresh or Move DB Instance” vs. New “Refresh DB Content”

Customer Situation:

Customers may need to setup a new system with existing DB content. This can be necessary when you want to create a test system or you want to refresh a system that has been corrupted with an existing proper backup.

The Software Provision Manager offers two slightly different ways to do this. In this blog I want to introduce those two functionalities and to show the differences.

Introduction:

It is possible to use the system copy procedure to export / import the DB content but this will install a new DB instance using the installation media. This option is called: “Refresh or Move Database Instance

In many cases, it is better to refresh a system without having to install a new DB instance but only replace the DB content in an existing ABAP schema.

This new option is called “Refresh Database Content”

Background / Motivation

Customers should be able to refresh the DB content of an existing system as fast as possible.

The new process is faster, since the new DB instance does not need to be installed every time the DB content gets refreshed. It is also faster because the Kernel media and RDBMS media is not needed for that scenario. TCO is reduced, due to a minimal downtime of the system.

However, moving the refreshed system to another host is not possible with the new functionality. For this scenario, the classic option is still available.

Description: Classic “Refresh or Move DB Instance”

• Using the DB content on the same host it is called “Refresh”

• Using a different host to refresh the DB content it is called “Move”

-> Installation media is required and DB backup or migration export

-> New Kernel is needed (from media): download new Kernel media = time consuming

-> Database media (RDBMS server and client software) is needed = time consuming

-> New DB instance is installed = time consuming

Result: System refresh with existing DB content on the same or different host and new DB Instance

Description: New “Refresh DB Content”

• Refresh the database content on the same host only

-> No installation media is required, only DB backup or migration export

-> No new DB instance is installed, only DB content is replaced, this is faster as option “Refresh or Move DB Instance”

Result: System refresh with existing DB content on the same host on the existing DB Instance

For additional Information please see also: http://support.sap.com/sltoolset -> System Provisioning -> System Copy Option ->  Guide for Systems Based on SAP NetWeaver 7.1 & Higher

Section “Copying Single Instances Only -> Copying the Database Only - Refresh Database Content”:
66 Comments
ranjitk1
0 Kudos
Hi Stephan

planning to do Db refresh HANA 2 .0 from power le (QA)to red hat Linux (DEV)

both on Hana db but different OS , is this option will work out or need to go for export import method every time?
SJ1111
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos
Hello Ranjit,

If you are referring to backup compatibility, as long as both HANAs are 2.0, the backups are compatible

https://launchpad.support.sap.com/#/notes/1642148

1. Can I recover a HANA backup made on INTEL architecture on IBM Power architecture?

Backups created with SAP HANA 2.0 are compatible with both supported hardware platforms (Intel and IBM Power). You can recover SAP HANA 2.0 using data backups and log backups created with SAP HANA 2.0 on either an Intel-based system or an IBM Power-based system.

Compatibility of Backups of SAP HANA 1.0 for Recovery to SAP HANA 2.0 (IBM Power and Intel)

Backup Source
(Data Backups and Log Backups)
Recovery to SAP HANA 2.0
(IBM Power)
Recovery to SAP HANA 2.0
(Intel)
SAP HANA 1.0 SPS9 and earlier NO NO
SAP HANA 1.0 (SPS10 and later) (IBM Power) NO NO
SAP HANA 1.0 (SPS10 and later) (Intel) YES YES
SAP HANA 2.0 (IBM Power and Intel) YES YES

Hope that answers your question.
Best Regards

Stefan Jakobi

Product Management CLM

former_member781926
Discoverer
0 Kudos
Hi Stefan,

Need your inputs.

We are in process of building N+1 system using the SWPM Export/import method. After the build we want to upgrade the system.

Source : ECC - EHP5 7.02 OS - RHEL5 DB - Oracle 11.2.03

Target :  ECC - EHP 5 - 7.02  - OS - RHEL 8 DB Oracle 19C after the import we want to upgrade to EHP8.

Oracle 19 has new features like BIGFILE table space and Advance compression and we want to use this features during the import DB installation phase.

We know that SWPM doesn't support BIGFILE table space but we want to check with you is there any other methods using which we can use the BIGFILE table space and Advance compression during the DB import phase.

Thanks in advance,

Rajanikanth.

klzkm
Explorer
0 Kudos
Hello Stefan,

Can I have some questions? Because I confusing with System migration methods. Could you please advise me of my requirements?

Our consulting team consults on our System. We want to copy that system into customer DEV System ( OS and DB are same, APP product release same 1909 but some SP Stack different ). How can I continue which migration method? We also want to retain import queries in the target system.

Thanks in advance,

KLZ

SJ1111
Advisor
Advisor
Hello Lin Zaw,

if I understand correctly, you want to copy a system and reuse as DEV system and the only difference is the SP stack.

So I would suggest you simply copy the system and add the SP stacks afterwards.

About the import queues I am not 100% sure. Probably you need to rebuild them after setting up the copied system.

Best Regards
Stefan Jakobi

Product Management CLM
klzkm
Explorer
0 Kudos
Hi stefan.jakobi,

Thank you so much for your reply. Can I use the database refresh method in this seturation? SID is different.

Thanks and Best Regards,

KLZ
SJ1111
Advisor
Advisor
Hello Lin Zaw,

Classic “Move DB Instance” would work as well.

You will then get a System refresh with existing DB content on new DB Instance.

Best Regards
Stefan Jakobi

Product Management CLM
former_member186895
Participant
0 Kudos
Hello Stefan,

If i install a completely new SAP system (new and empty database instance), then can i use "Refresh Database content option" from latest full backup of source system?

Will it work?

Thanks and Best Regards

RY
SJ1111
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos
Hello Yadav,

if the backup was taken from the same release version as the new installed system, that should not be a problem.

Best Regards
Stefan Jakobi

Product Management CLM
mrsapbasis
Discoverer
0 Kudos
Hello Stefan,

We are using Refresh Database Content option.

Our goal is declustering using export database with declustering option and import content to the same database.

Environment:

SAP is on Windows and Oracle (RAC) is on Linux.
Additional I installed Gateway for Database because lack of SAP on database host.

Questions:

1. R3load will be only insert data from export to existing database or create new database?

2. Should I specific details in section : Advanced Oracle Configuration example: Create Database, Controlfiles,Tablespace... ec. ?

Thank You

Best Regards

SJ1111
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos
Hello Karol,

Your question1:

“Refresh DB Content”:

-> No new DB instance is installed, only DB content is replaced

Existing DB content on the same host on the existing DB Instance

Your question2: No, only if you have specific requirement.

Best Regards
Stefan Jakobi

Product Management CLM

mrsapbasis
Discoverer
0 Kudos
Hello Stefan,

I have a question about one screen about Oracle database parameters:

I have two options :

1.Install MCOD (Multiple Components in one Database)

2.Install database or recreate an existing one

I selected 1 option but I have error " An existing database cannot be selected"

Do you know how is the reason ?

Thank You

Best Regards

SJ1111
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos
Hello Karol,

from the screenshot I can not judge what the concrete problem is.

In such a case it is better to create an SAP support ticket and attach the necessary logfiles. Only then can the SAP experts analyze the problem and give the correct instructions.

Thanks and best regards
Stefan Jakobi

Product Management CLM
barupau
Explorer
0 Kudos
Hello Stefan,

Good day!

Just a quick question about refreshing DB content.

After a successful refresh, is it needed to do the follow-up activity or is that only for the copy/move DB?

Thank you!

Russell

0 Kudos
Hello, Stefan,

We need to migrate/move our SAP system from current Win 2016/MS SQL 2016(SID=ABC) to Win 2022/MS SQL 2022 with new SID(=XYZ).

For my case, can I follow these steps

1. Database Instance Export from Win 2016/SQL 2016 of SAP System with SID=ABC

2. Perform System Copy with SID = XYZ, using backup taken from step 1 above

3. During cut-over can we use Refresh DB Content?

Thank you.
SJ1111
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos
Hello,

if the prerequisites are as described here:

https://help.sap.com/docs/SLTOOLSET/8be95bf7ce9b487aa6dc0901cbe92346/6244d1a91f2745f39e86485a913156a...

this should work.

Best Regards
Stefan Jakobi

Product Management CLM