Technology Blogs by SAP
Learn how to extend and personalize SAP applications. Follow the SAP technology blog for insights into SAP BTP, ABAP, SAP Analytics Cloud, SAP HANA, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MartyMcCormick
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert

SAP Integration Suite on the SAP Business Technology Platform (BTP) is licensed using 2 metrics: 1) number of tenants and 2) the number of messages per month.

As shown in the SAP Discovery Center, calculating the number of tenants is straightforward--1 each for instance of Integration Suite created, i.e. Dev, Test, Prod, etc.  However, the number of messages is calculated based on usage and requires customers to analyze their current integrations to estimate the sizing.  The messages themselves are priced in blocks of 10,000 and pricing can also be found in the Discovery Center.

This blog is to highlight a new capability within the Integration Suite that allows you to analyze message usage for a 31 day interval. This new feature is extremely helpful for customers who want to see how they've been using the Integration Suite as well as make projections for future use cases. 

Help documentation

For a detailed explanation of how message sizes are calculated based on number of calls and payload sizes, refer to SAP Note 2942344 SAP Integration Suite Message Metric Definition.  There are details regarding how messages are calculated across the capabilities in the Integration Suite.

In addition to the Note, the following two figures visually show some examples.  At a high level, message metrics are really based on receiver channels and message payload sizes (not sender channels where messages are sent to the Integration Suite).

Example 1 Message Metric CalculationExample 1 Message Metric Calculation

Example 2 Message Metric CalculationExample 2 Message Metric Calculation

In order to use the new application, your user will need an assignment to the PI_Business_Expert and PI_Administrator role collections.

In the Integration Suite, under Monitor Artifacts there is now a tile for "Message Usage" under the Usage Details section.

Message Usage TileMessage Usage Tile

Within the dashboard, you can filter based on a 31 day date range to see the message usage details.  The visualization graph will separate the total chargeable messages from the SAP to SAP messages which are not counted in the message metrics.

Sample Message Metrics for a Month on the Integration SuiteSample Message Metrics for a Month on the Integration Suite

Detailed Monthly Message StatisticsDetailed Monthly Message Statistics

Hover Over the Graph for Additional DetailsHover Over the Graph for Additional Details

You can view detailed integration flow (iFlow) details, including Receivers, Splitters, which artifacts were SAP to SAP and how a datastore was used.  You can use the Action icon to further drill into the iFlow as well.

Message Calculations by Integration Flow DetailsMessage Calculations by Integration Flow Details

When switching the Visualization Category to "Integration Flow", you can see the number of messages per component within the iFlow.

Details of Individual iFlowDetails of Individual iFlow

Another great feature is that any data from the tables can easily be exported to Excel for further analysis. 

Data Export to ExcelData Export to Excel

Let me know how you are finding this new tool to use within the Integration Suite!

Thanks,
Marty

9 Comments
DG
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Great blog. It is important to know how the messages are counted. 

How about API mgt. They are also a part of the same license as I understand it. 

And if you have a message received via API mgt, processed in Cloud Integration and then sent via Open Connectors. 

Daniel 

MartyMcCormick
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert

API Management is shown in Usage Analytics for subaccount.  https://help.sap.com/docs/btp/sap-business-technology-platform/view-subaccount-usage-analytics

I dont think there is quite a detailed breakdown available for APIM yet like the BTP IS that was just added but will check into it.

Regarding the scenario you outline, my understanding would be 2 messages (assuming below 250kb threshold), one for APIM and one on the Open Connector Receiver channel.  Will confirm this as well.

Thanks,
Marty

DG
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

And I guess in API mgt you can also perform lookup calls like you do in your example. 

I would guess 3 messages the Cloud Integration should also be counted or is the message correlation id covered for the scerio. Probably and edge case but does have an impact for the cases where you protect CPI via API mgt or use open connectors from CPI. 

paszy2
Discoverer
0 Kudos

@MartyMcCormick  -  i'm confused with the 2 receiver scenario 

in the sap note2942344  we have

"An  integration flow has two  receiver adapters. During runtime execution, messages are processed via both the receiver adapters and the size of the messages is 50 KB and 40 KB respectively. It is counted as one message because 40 KB +50 KB = 90 KB, which is less than 250 KB"

- on your blog we have that this is two messages.  

Is this because of difference between synchronous and asnychronous scenarios ? 

MartyMcCormick
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert

@paszy2 

It’s because there is a splitter used in the image.  Point 3 in the “Special Notes” section: In case of integration flows using splitter, each split outbound message via receiver adapter(s) is counted as separate message (subject to size and logic as mentioned above). Size of input message to splitter is 210 KB.

Thanks,
Marty

S0024375001
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Hello, thank you for the information.

We have multiple integration suite sub accounts.

Because of this situation I have two questions:

1. Is there a API to get this tile information, so we can combine the information of multiple integration suites in one request?

2. Is it possible to download multiple days in one CSV? If I see it correctly, it is only possible to download a one day CSV. That would cause a lot of work. For example: 4x sub accounts * 365 days = a lot of files 🙂

Thank you.

DG
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

What about Process Direct. That is not counted or is that wrong.

Iflow 1) send a sync message to iflow 2)  via Process Direct. Iflow 2 then sends the message via HTTP. 

Daniel

Sigiswald
Contributor

@MartyMcCormick Is there a known issue with calculating the "SAP to SAP (Excluded)" messages?

I read SAP Note 2942344 in detail and I'm 100% sure my deployed integration flows are 100% standard and not modified. But in the monitoring they are not counted as SAP-to-SAP integrations. These are from the "SAP Cloud for Customer Integration with SAP ERP" package.

The counted messages are exactly the same when checking in Integration Suite as when checking in BTP.

Sigiswald_1-1710958227902.png

Sigiswald_0-1710958055413.png

If you download the Excel file with the details, it gives some more information. e.g. "Original Content = false". These are all standard SAP integration flows (that were never modified) in the same package.

Sigiswald_2-1710958614400.png

Kind regards,
/Sigiswald

Florian_Kube
Participant

@MartyMcCormick would it be possible to make the API public/official to fetch the Message Usage (/rest/api/v1/metering/usage/)?