Technology Blogs by SAP
Learn how to extend and personalize SAP applications. Follow the SAP technology blog for insights into SAP BTP, ABAP, SAP Analytics Cloud, SAP HANA, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please note there's an update to the SAP Build sunset blog here

Over the past three years, SAP Build has helped thousands of users design and deliver SAP Fiori applications that delight end-users and jump-start the development process.  On any given week, over 1,000 SAP Build prototypes are created and shared for end-user feedback.  We’re incredibly proud of the tremendous impact SAP Build has made to our internal and external customers. It’s with that appreciation we take this time to announce the next step in the lifecycle of SAP Build and give a glimpse of the future.

What’s happening?

SAP Build is moving into maintenance and has been retired from the SAP price list. We will continue to support SAP Build until the end of all customer contracts, so we will keep delivering bug fixes and SAPUI5 updates to the service. Existing customers can continue to use SAP Build and invite new users to participate in the prototyping and user feedback process.  Subscription customers can still purchase additional user licenses until the end of their license term.  CPEA customers will have until July 15 to activate SAP Build for their license term. Trial accounts will be allowed for the near-term, but users will be unable to upgrade to an enterprise license.

Why the change?

SAP made this decision to focus our development resources on fewer, but more strategic topics to help customers derive quicker value in creating SAP Fiori applications. We have reallocated the investments in SAP Build to an integrated set of UX tools for faster and smoother transition from Fiori design to development.  The learning we gained in creating SAP Build will carry forward.

What’s next?

To meet the goal of faster transition from Fiori design to delivery, SAP Fiori elements is receiving enhancements in performance, ease of use, and functionality. We are also introducing a new solution, SAP Fiori tools, that will combine requirements-gathering, prototyping, project generation and service and application modelling. We are planning to announce a Customer Engagement Initiative (CEI) project for customers interested in shaping the future of these capabilities.

SAP Fiori tools is currently in Beta release, and GA is planned for June 2020.  You may find more information on the blog here.

Sharing a heartfelt thanks!

SAP Build has transformed how SAP designs and delivers applications. The SAP Build service will continue to be well-maintained for users in the years to come.  We’re excited to pass the torch to the new generation of SAP UX tools and hope you will join us in our next steps.

For more detailed information, please read the SAP Build sunset FAQ, or reach out to us at contact.build@sap.com.

90 Comments
luis_torres
Explorer

LET’S MAKE SAP BUILD OPEN SOURCE AGAIN

former_member273190
Participant

former_member605786
Participant

matheus_brasil
Explorer
SilvioMiranda
Participant

DouglasCezar
Contributor
Please, LET’S MAKE SAP BUILD OPEN SOURCE AGAIN

Jelena
Active Contributor
Your 3 reasons are 100% correct. Can't say I was an active user but I always thought SAP Build was a neat product. I even mentioned it in the recent ABAP book. Not cool, SAP, not cool.
Qualiture
Active Contributor

MAKE SAP BUILD OPEN SOURCE AGAIN (please)

"LET’S MAKE SAP BUILD OPEN SOURCE AGAIN"

SimoneMilesi
Active Contributor

SimoneMilesi
Active Contributor
I can echo 319481ee5c07417784f1f1ae49b6371f 's words with my little experience: i was able to design and prototype with SAP Build, along with my collegues working in Angular for the company front end and it was so good and great that, after I switched company, my collegues kept using it because of some features like the mockup data, something they couldn't find in other designing tools they tried in the years.

Has BUILD lacks? Of course!

Why cannot SAP, for instance, release it with a consume plan, like AWS services, for example?
And share it outside SAP world?
OwenPettiford
Active Participant
former_member546068
Discoverer

sergioherculano
Explorer

I am very concerned with this post regarding SAP BUILD Sunset, I don’t believe that SAP will decommission this nice application without any explanation or a clear strategy.

I am responsible for Global Fiori Development at Festo a German company located close to Stuttgart and we are using SAP BUILD as part of our development journey and process and SAP need to provide a clear view what will be the future specially because today we are developing several applications free style that are not related with Fiori Elements and BUILD is perfect to allow our project teams and users in design thinking sessions to provide a prototype for a future development.

I would appreciate if someone can contact me to explain it in detail.

Sérgio Herculano

marcio_rodrigues3
Discoverer
amine_bouaziz
Discoverer
thiago_pereira
Explorer

very sad news for a great tool, unbelievable!

I totally agree!
pk67
Explorer

c_drancourt
Explorer

rgbessa1
Discoverer

cristiano_santos
Participant
0 Kudos
The autor created another post with same content, let´s make these same comments there: https://blogs.sap.com/2020/02/04/sap-build-sunset-faq/
FabioPagoti
Active Contributor
Hello keith.fischer

One month has passed and the only change noticed is that the Sunset FAQ was deleted 2 days ago.

Nothing was published since then.

Actually, I came to know that the SAP Fiori Tools prototyping extension is not even part of the beta program launched recently so there is still a long way for it to come out.

Rumor has it your post has the higher quantity of comments in SAP Community since 2016. Most of them contains the same content so the community is clearly eager for an official answer.

Do you have any news about that?

If BUILD won't turn back to a Open Source Software or there is no clear answers for some of the questions I did, I am afraid there is no other option. Customers should keep looking for another prototyping tool in the market to replace BUILD.

I'd be glad to share in the days ahead third-party options in a blog here at the community to help customers on that journey.

Looking forward to hear from you.

Thanks,
Octav
Participant
0 Kudos

Tobias1
Explorer
0 Kudos
Absolutely right, there is more than one alternative for building applications in the same way, e.g. you can use high-performance platforms with low code.

I know that there are different, sometimes critical opinions, but there are some exceptions.

There are platforms from different vendors available, each with their own focus.

In any case, you should choose a platform that is flexible enough to work fully integrated with SAP or, if possible, on an open-source basis, so that the applications you build can be fully transferred to the SAP cloud platform.

In addition, some of them allow you to manage the development and runtime environment on the same platform, so you can develop, test, and publish in the same environment. This saves time and simplifies deployment throughout the entire build process.
former_member190736
Participant
0 Kudos

S0007368920
Explorer
0 Kudos

0 Kudos
StephanHeinberg
Participant
0 Kudos
How sad, Build goes down, the dark night rises.

Now pixel pushing is on the agenda again, I know Build was always one step behind, but the stencils for Axure and Sketch are no alternative.
former_member679019
Participant
0 Kudos
Let us take a stance and make SAPBUILD open source again.
Roman71
Explorer
0 Kudos

Leduckduck
Active Participant
0 Kudos
It does not give sense to sunset... again SAP ... is thinking about money
Cauoneal
Discoverer
0 Kudos