Technology Blogs by SAP
Learn how to extend and personalize SAP applications. Follow the SAP technology blog for insights into SAP BTP, ABAP, SAP Analytics Cloud, SAP HANA, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
David_Quirk
Associate
Associate

With the launch of SAP Datasphere, existing or prospective SAP Data Intelligence Cloud and SAP Data Warehouse Cloud customers will likely have some questions. What does this mean for me? Will my existing investments be protected and supported? How can I best take advantage of this new architecture over time while addressing my current use cases and business needs?

The first place to start is with existing SAP Data Warehouse Cloud customers. SAP Datasphere is the next generation of SAP Data Warehouse Cloud. We’ve kept all the powerful capabilities of SAP Data Warehouse Cloud and added newly available data integration, data cataloging, and semantic modeling features, and plan to deliver enhancements and new features as part of the product roadmap. With the release of SAP Datasphere, you are now automatically an SAP Datasphere customer! Nothing needs to be done to begin using SAP Datasphere; your existing capabilities will not be impacted, and you will be able to begin to take advantage of the enhanced SAP Datasphere capabilities as your needs allow. Commercially there will also be no impact for using existing features and your existing contracts will remain in place. There are also some new capabilities being introduced which will only be charged if you expand your usage to include them. More information on SAP Datasphere pricing can be found here.

The most important consideration for all SAP Data Intelligence Cloud customers is to look at the strategic direction and roadmap of SAP Datasphere. While the initial release of SAP Datasphere primarily targets SAP Data Warehouse Cloud customers, some SAP Data Intelligence Cloud features have already been added. New data ingestion capabilities facilitating data replication, automatically generate large numbers of pipelines without any manual build or configuration required, making it simple to replicate large numbers of tables automatically and continuously with minimal user effort or overhead. Other SAP Data Intelligence Cloud capabilities will be included into SAP Datasphere to eventually cover the major use cases that SAP Data Intelligence Cloud provides. The latest roadmap for SAP Datasphere can be found in the SAP Roadmap Explorer.

SAP has recently announced that mainstream maintenance of SAP Data Intelligence Cloud will continue through the timeframe specified in this SAP Note. Existing SAP Data Intelligence Cloud customers will be supported through this date. SAP is still supporting both solutions however with the strategic focus on SAP Datasphere the vision is that customers will transition workloads from SAP Data Intelligence Cloud to SAP Datasphere over time as the product evolves and as their needs and priorities allow.

Existing SAP Data Intelligence Cloud subscription customers will be able to renew their subscriptions through the end of the maintenance date as specified however no new SAP Data Intelligence Cloud subscriptions will be sold. Existing CPEA customers and those who purchase CPEA credits before July 1, 2024, will be able to use their CPEA credits for SAP Data Intelligence Cloud as per their CPEA contracts. From July 1, 2024, SAP Data Intelligence will be removed from new CPEA contracts. With SAP Datasphere allowing consumption of CPEA credits, if you currently use CPEA credits for SAP Data Intelligence Cloud, you will find shifting this usage will be particularly seamless – you can reallocate CPEA credits from SAP Data Intelligence Cloud to SAP Datasphere at any time. Additionally, a Free Tier version of SAP Datasphere is available, allowing you to begin to use its new capabilities quickly and easily.

What about SAP Data Intelligence on-prem customers? Mainstream maintenance will continue for the timeframe specified in this SAP Note and it will continue to be a viable solution for certain use cases. It is important to note that SAP’s innovation is focused on SAP Datasphere and as with SAP Data Intelligence Cloud, you should look to transition to SAP Datasphere over time.

In summary, all SAP Data Warehouse Cloud and SAP Data Intelligence Cloud customers should be excited by the release of SAP Datasphere, unifying these two solutions as a core part of SAP BTP. SAP Data Warehouse Cloud customers will immediately be able to use the expanded features and both SAP Data Warehouse Cloud and SAP Data Intelligence Cloud customers will benefit from the innovations planned for SAP Datasphere and the landscape simplification opportunities it will provide.

8 Comments
TuncayKaraca
Active Contributor

Hello David,

Thanks for sharing SAP's perspective on SAP Datasphere and SAP Data IntelligenceCocquerel has recently published a post What's the successor off Data Intelligence for Data Integration ? and we raised some questions & concerns. So thanks for sharing and some clarifications in details.

I didn't know about SAP Note 3423165 - End of SAP Data Intelligence Cloud mainstream maintenance and as it has been guessed SAP Data Intelligence at least will be supported: "SAP provides mainstream maintenance for SAP Data Intelligence Cloud until December 31, 2028."

If I could take some notes or highlights some, these seem to be important:

• Existing SAP Data Intelligence Cloud customers will be supported through this date. December 31, 2028.
  • SAP is still supporting both solutions however with the strategic focus on SAP Datasphere the vision is that customers will transition workloads from SAP Data Intelligence Cloud to SAP Datasphere over time as the product evolves and as their needs and priorities allow.
  • Existing SAP Data Intelligence Cloud subscription customers will be able to renew their subscriptions through the end of the maintenance date as specified however no new SAP Data Intelligence Cloud subscriptions will be sold.
  • From July 1, 2024, SAP Data Intelligence will be removed from new CPEA contracts.

What about SAP provides tools to facilitate the technical transition as indicated in SAP Datasphere FAQs ?

TuncayKaraca_0-1707922376188.png

It's a crucial point to check SAP Datasphere Road Map  there are as of today 66 road map items / additions in 2024 and 2 items in 2025, 4 items as Visions. While speaking of  SAP Data Intelligence capabilities what about if we are able to use REST API connections in Data Integration capabilities of Datasphere that I don't see yet in the Road Map if I'm not missing?   It's like Rest API Client in SAP Data Intelligence operators? If we speak of a use case which is "Consuming SAP Ariba Data through SAP Ariba APIs" requires REST API.

Thanks,
Tuncay

danielj
Explorer
0 Kudos

Thanks both @David_Quirk  and @TuncayKaraca 

We are in the process of reviewing a transition from SAP DI to SAP DataSphere and have a scenario where we are triggering pipeline using the OOTB 'Pipeline Engine' API to trigger SAP DI Graphs. At this time I dont see any DataSphere version of this specific feature now or in the roadmap.

TuncayKaraca
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

@danielj First of all, as a principal, I think we should not think that it would be a reality that "...until SAP Datasphere supports all SAP Data Intelligence customer use cases." We can do some in Datasphere in different ways, but not all! Also, redesigns will be required in the SAP Datasphere world! They/We/You will try to achieve the end goals in different ways!

SAP Datasphere has its own APIs but I'm not sure if there is a plan to enhance APIs capability. SAP Datasphere - ODATA V4 API

I defer to @David_Quirk for more insights!

Regards,
Tuncay

rajeshps
Participant
0 Kudos

@David_Quirk and @TuncayKaraca in BTP Datasphere , but do we have graphs/operators/datatype like waht we have in SAP DI ?

TuncayKaraca
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

@rajeshps Don't expect graphs/operators/datatype like in SAP Datasphere like we have in SAP Data Intelligence 

There are some basic operators in Data Flows of Datasphere, check out Creating a Data Flow 

TuncayKaraca_0-1713792762374.png

Other flows Replication Flows and Transformation Flows have similar operators. 

rajeshps
Participant
0 Kudos

@David_Quirk and @TuncayKaraca looks like it needs to be more matured to meet the latest features and compatibility.

I see it has very basic data transformation, mapping capabilities, So i understand that there is no more graphs/operators/datatype concepts? then what?

But problem is : for now datasphere cannot effectively connect with Apache Kafka/confluent kafka , API(oauth20, or rest based services), SFTP/Blob, Odata, ABAP proxies etc. Looks to be a broken solution for now.

rajeshps
Participant
0 Kudos

Please clear me this out - When is SAP DI Onpremise  and SAP DI cloud end of life?

SAP DI cloud will continue in btp world or it is removed completely and BTP datasphere is strategic?

Thanks!

David_Quirk
Associate
Associate

The blog contains links to the official SAP Notes regarding end of life for DI Cloud and DI on-prem. Regarding new capabilities, the roadmap explorer, also linked in the blog is the official source for any coming plans. There are a lot of capabilities coming to the solution over the coming quarters so please continue to monitor the roadmap over this time.