Technology Blogs by SAP
Learn how to extend and personalize SAP applications. Follow the SAP technology blog for insights into SAP BTP, ABAP, SAP Analytics Cloud, SAP HANA, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
deepakgd
Associate
Associate

Introduction

SAP Cloud Integration version 7.18.**, one of the capabilities of SAP Integration Suite, comes with an enhancement to choose inbuilt retry for HTTP receiver adapter. This short blog describes how to use this feature.

Note
The Cloud Integration software version 7.18.** rollout is being done in a phased manner and started for some Data Centers.
As of now, there is a delay in rolling out Cloud Integration software 7.18.** to pending Data Centers due to unforeseen circumstances.
Hence, we are unable to provide tentative timeline for this matter. As soon as the challenges are overcome, we will update you with potential dates for the Cloud Integration software version 7.18.** rollout. We appreciate your understanding and patience in this regard.

HTTP Inbuilt Retry Option

The retry option in HTTP receiver adapter (with adapter version number 1.15) provides you an option to select retrying of failed HTTP requests. This features comes handy for the backend HTTP server facing some challenges to serve the requests, especially intermittent issues at backed.

By default, this option is not selected. Once you select this option, you will need to provide HTTP error response codes for which you want the HTTP receiver adapter to trigger the retry.

Also, you can choose the number of iterations and the time between the each iterations. Sample screenshot provided below.

Retry option with checkbox control

Configuring HTTP retry with required information

This retry is non-persistent, i.e., the failed requests will be retried in in-memory. When a message is processing, and backed server returns the provided HTTP error code, message will be put under the in-progress status till the retry attempts are complete. In case server sends a Retry-After header with longer duration of the wait, the priority will be given to it. If Retry-After header contains value as date format, i.e. <http-date>, after which retry needs to be executed, this will not be considered. Retry-After header with value in format <delay-seconds> is considered.

The trace view in the Cloud Integration message processing log in monitor would showcase the retries triggered for the message as per the configured number of retries.

Note:

In case if you have an existing Exception Subprocess, you need to add newer version of Exception Process step and remodel the logic in exception subprocess to redirect the message flow control to exception subprocess after HTTP inbuilt retries are exhausted.

Summary

SAP Integration Suite – Cloud Integration, with inbuilt retry support for HTTP receiver adapter, enhances handling of your message processing for the failures – especially intermittent – of the connected HTTP backed server.

17 Comments
Willem_Pardaens
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
This sounds like a great feature to mitigate intermittent connection issues easily.

I have 2 questions:

• Will the retry be triggered only if a valid error response is returned, or also when the timeout time is reached (60 sec in your example)?

• Can the HTTP response codes be specified as ranges? e.g. "400-599" or "5*" or ">=500"

PiotrRadzki
Active Participant

Hi Willem,

RE: Will the retry be triggered only if a valid error response is returned, or also when the timeout time is reached (60 sec in your example)?

In case of timeout set on CPI side and terminated there will be no HTTP error code coming from target application so I don't think this timeout is handled by HTTPS Adapter Retry in subject. Only timeout from target application if its lower than specified in adapter on CPI side could be candidate for HTTPS receiver adapter Retry.

RE: Can the HTTP response codes be specified as ranges? e.g. "400-599" or "5*" or ">=500"

there is Help page from SAP is stating as follows, so I assume only list of codes is supported not range:

Provide a comma separated list of HTTP error response codes for which the integration flow must retry requests to the target system.

https://help.sap.com/docs/integration-suite/sap-integration-suite/http-receiver-adapter

Hope this help's.

BR, Piotr

Willem_Pardaens
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
Hi Piotr,

I appreciate your reply, and I'm familiar with the documentation, but I rather have confirmation from the blog author on the topic instead of relying on our own interpretations and assumptions on what is written. The blog mentions for example that it takes the Retry-After header into account, but only if it is expressed in seconds, and not when it's a date. This is not covered in the Help documentation, so it's still a work-in-progress.

Thanks
Willem
PiotrRadzki
Active Participant

Sure, got your point.

But if we cannot rely on what is in SAP Help what is the point to have it? 🙂

BR, Piotr

Willem_Pardaens
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
True, though the point is not just to rely on it, but also to improve it where needed 😉
0 Kudos
One of the much-awaited features.
KaderKaraBTP
Explorer
0 Kudos
Very nice feature, thanks for sharing deepakgovardhanrao.deshpande

A couple of questions though :
- If we have an exception subprocess , will this be called every time a retry fails ?
- Same if message get read from a JMS queue, will this be retried as well ?
- When this version 7.18.* will be available , I can't find the information from sap documentation . we're in version 6.44.5 , so we can't try this adapter feature .

BR,
Kader
deepakgd
Associate
Associate
0 Kudos
Hi Piotr,

Thanks for your comments and inputs. It really helps in engaging with community with these conversations.

Hi Willem,

1. We haven't considered retry for timeout. It is in our radar and sooner or later we will enable this.

2. Currently only comma separated error codes are honoured. Range is, again, something is in our mind we will enable it in coming days (but I can't guarantee the timelines 🙂 ).

Thanks

Deepak
rahulyadav
Explorer
0 Kudos
Hi Deepak,

Is this feature available on SAP Integration Suite with Version 7.18.** or onwards ?

Does SAP has any plan to provide this feature in all the versions and what is the rollover/upgrade date when this feature will be available in Neo and CF ? Standard documentation mentions this feature is available in both Neo and CF.

Rahul

ChandraMahajan
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
Hello deepakgovardhanrao.deshpande

As per SAP help, this is available as of 23rd Oct 2023. We are having these versions which seems to be latest as per cloud alerts etc

• Cloud Integration                         6.45.22

• Cloud Integration Runtime           6.45.3

Please let me know from which version, this feature is available?

Regards,

Chandra
deepakgd
Associate
Associate

Hi Kader,

Trying to answer to your questions in below sequence

• No, the exception subprocess will be called only once after all retry iterations are over and still there is an error thrown by the backed.
  • JMS would have its own retry mechanism, not to be compared with the HTTP inbuilt retry
  • The Cloud Integration software version 7.18.** rollout is being done in a phased manner and started for some Data Centers.
    As of now, there is a delay in rolling out Cloud Integration software 7.18.** to pending Data Centers due to unforeseen circumstances.
    Hence, we are unable to provide tentative timeline for this matter. As soon as the challenges are overcome, we will update you with potential dates for the Cloud Integration software version 7.18.** rollout. We appreciate your understanding and patience in this regard

Thank

Deepak

deepakgd
Associate
Associate
0 Kudos
Hi Rahul,

This feature will be available 7.18.** and onwards. The documentation will be corrected accordingly.

Thanks

Deepak
deepakgd
Associate
Associate
0 Kudos
Hi Chandra,

The Cloud Integration software version 7.18.** rollout is being done in a phased manner and started for some Data Centers.
Hence, we are unable to provide tentative timeline for this matter. As soon as the challenges are overcome, we will update you with potential dates for the Cloud Integration software version 7.18.** rollout. We appreciate your understanding and patience in this regard.

Thanks

Deepak
Varanganti
Explorer
0 Kudos

there is no planned date but this keep on showing

No Planned date but this is keep on showing up

fjaviergar07
Explorer
Is there any update of when Cloud Integration 7.18.**  will be rollout?

I can see our http adapter is in version 1.15 already but it doesn't have the option yet, I assume because Cloud Integration is still in 6.46.34

Many thanks in advance

Best regards

Javier
mvalicpi40
Explorer
0 Kudos
Hi All,

seems this feature is available for Neo only as per SAP Help doc.
Remember

The feature is currently available only with the tenants running on the Neo environment with software version 7.18.xx and above.

HTTP Receiver Adapter | SAP Help Portal
Florian_Kube
Participant

In CF I cannot find this feature. Is it not available in CF?