Technology Blogs by SAP
Learn how to extend and personalize SAP applications. Follow the SAP technology blog for insights into SAP BTP, ABAP, SAP Analytics Cloud, SAP HANA, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AviadRivlin
Employee
Employee
Following the announcement about the new SAP Launchpad service, I’m happy to update about the availability of the Launchpad service in the SAP BTP Trial environment, allowing you to build your Launchpad site, free of charge, on the public trial environment.

Enable your trial account in three simple steps:

1. Create an SAP BTP Trial account though the following link

2. Activate the Launchpad service

3. Assign the Launchpad_Admin role to your User

Done! You can start using the Launchpad service in your trial account.

What’s next?

You can now build your first Launchpad Site, develop & integrate UI5 apps, integrate remote apps (e.g. Web Dynpro ABAP, SAP Gui for HTML), brand the launchpad, and more.

Tips:

• I highly recommended using the ES5 system, connect to your trial account and configure tiles

• If you already have an existing SAP BTP Trial account, before activating the service you’ll have to configure Launchpad entitlement for your trial subaccount

• Step-by-step mission guiding you through the process how to configure the Launchpad

• Note that with the introduction of the Launchpad service to the SAP BTP trial environment, we have removed the portal service from the trial environment (for new trial accounts)

Let’s go! It’s learning time…
37 Comments
AviadRivlin
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos
New starter scenario is now available: https://cockpit.hanatrial.ondemand.com/cockpit#/home/trial > check it out!
khush_bafna
Explorer
0 Kudos
Looks promising. Is there a document describing the architecture?

Also interested to understand how it caters the differences in login id of end users across different systems. Like for example khush123.bafna in Active directory and 19988227 as SAP login id. Currently we use SAP portal for single sinn on using AD id and map if with SAP id in portal itself.

Thanks in advance.

Khush Bafna.
AviadRivlin
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos
Please have a look here for additional information (while more details will be published in the coming weeks).

Aviad
jcantzler
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos
I found some documentation regarding the security concepts which might help you answering your question: SAP Cloud Platform Security Concepts and a learning page from SAP Cloud Platform Security team.

thomas_kolenko
Discoverer
0 Kudos
Hello,
when i start the launchpad i get the message since last week:
Die Website wurde leider nicht gefunden.
Bitte wenden Sie sich an Ihren Website-Administrator, um Unterstützung zu erhalten.

in english:Unfortunately the website was not found.
Please contact your website administrator for assistance.

I unsubscribe the launchpad (all data where delete) and subscribe new - the same problem.

How can i start the launchpad?

Thanks in advance
Thomas
AviadRivlin
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos
I checked in my trial account (in EU10) and it works as expected. I also didn't hear about this issue from other people.

Can you try to close/delete your trial and open a new trial account? Not a nice work around - but maybe it will help in your case.

Please let me know.

Aviad
rdvnatcnibm
Explorer
0 Kudos
Hi Aviad,

thanks for the helpful blog.

I was trying to complete the starter scenario "Deliver Your First SAP Fiori Launchpad Site" but the Launchpad Service does not show in my trial, therefore I can not subscribe to it.

Only the Portal service is shown as alternative. Is there another way to activate this?

Thanks for your support.

Ridvan
AviadRivlin
Employee
Employee
Can you please try to add entitlement to launchpad (if your account is active for a while - this is a manual step you'll have to execute).

Please let me know.
rdvnatcnibm
Explorer
0 Kudos
Yes, that solved it, works fine now!

Thanks for your quick response.
thomas_kolenko
Discoverer
0 Kudos

I didn't want to delete the trail yet so I just enabled beta and now it works. This change was enough. Thanks Thomas

AviadRivlin
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Update: following the blog (above) and the notice about the removal of the Portal service from trial, please note that this will take effect starting October 22 for new trial accounts. Existing trial accounts will be able to continue using both the Launchpad and Portal services.

punnaraov
Explorer
0 Kudos
Hi Aviad,

I have created the account in SAP Cloud Platform Trial .  I would  like to subscribe to the portal service. I have only see the Launchpad service .  But in my account i didn't get the Portal subscription and  Theme designer  subscription  .

I would like to Create  Own Portal Freestyle Site and show it to my client . Is it required the Neo account for getting the portal service ?

I didn't see the Neo train account in "https://account.hanatrial.ondemand.com"

How can I Create  Own Portal Freestyle Site ?

Kindly provide the information
AviadRivlin
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos
Hello,

We recommend focusing on the Launchpad service (and not portal service). For freestyle sites, the recommended service is SAP Work Zone, which is not yet on trial.

Regards,

Aviad
punnaraov
Explorer
0 Kudos
Hi Aviad,

Thanks for the helpful blog.

Portal Service is completely replaced by Work zone in product version also or Portal service available in full stack version.

Thanks & Regards

Punna

AviadRivlin
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos
Hi Punna,

Not sure about your comment above, if you can further elaborate I will be able to provide my feedback.

Regards,
Aviad
GeethaRanjani
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hello Aviad,

We are about to begin a new CF Project. Is it adviceable to use the Portal Service or Launchpad service? And what benefits do Launchpad service provide us over Portal service?

FYI, we have already subscribed to Portal services for couple of current projects.

Regards,

Geetha

AviadRivlin
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos
Hello,

For new projects we recommend using the new SAP Cloud Platform Launchpad service. In case you already started a project, you may continue using the portal service while please keep in mind that no new capabilities are planned for the freestyle sites hence we recommend focusing on the Launchpad Site template.

Regards.

Aviad
GeethaRanjani
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos
Thanks for that information Aviad. I think its best not to use Portal service. We have one other doubt.

We see there are two ways to create launchpad site,

1. Using Launchpad Module in SAP Business Application Studio

2. Using this Launchpad service

Could you please tell us whats the difference between these two methods? Which is more preferrable way of creating the launchpad?

Regards,

Geetha
AviadRivlin
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos
Launchpad Module is a developer centric approach for developing the launchpad; the Launchpad service is an admin + developer approach. The recommended approach is with the Launchpad service.

Aviad
Husain
Participant
0 Kudos
HI Aviad,

I created a trial Cloud Foundry account but i do not see the launchpad service in the subscriptions ? Is there something missing on my account?
Husain
Participant
I was able to add the service but when i try to launch it gives me an error ' Access Denied'.

In the Manage Roles i only see one default role called MobileAdmin not sure if i am missing any access.

AviadRivlin
Employee
Employee
Seems like you are missing the assignment of the role: Launchpad_Admin. Please see initial setup.

Let me know if it works.

Aviad
anais_jaussaud
Participant
0 Kudos

Dear experts,

I am very new on SCP and trying to get a trial on Launchpad. I have followed the role assignment but I think I am still missing sthg.

When I click on “Go to Application” from Launchpad, I get “Access Denied” as a message in the tab and the page shows: "Sorry, we couldn’t find the site. Please contact your site administrator for assistance"

I have captured my role assignment below and we can see “Launchpad_Admin” is attached to my user.

Would someone know what I am missing? Thanks a lot,

Anaïs

AviadRivlin
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos
I recommend following this step by step tutorial: https://developers.sap.com/group.launchpad-cf-create-site.html - I assume/hope it will solve the problem.

Aviad
anais_jaussaud
Participant
0 Kudos
Hi Aviad, Thanks for your answer.

I was just too impatient I think 🙂 I could access it few hours after I wrote the post.

0 Kudos
Hi Aviad,

I had subscribed for the Launchpad service in the SAP BTP environment. But When I am trying to deploy my application I am getting a error like this;
Service operation failed: Controller operation failed: 404 Updating service "portal_resources_ZAssignment" failed: Not Found: Error creating service "portal_resources_ZAssignment" from offering "portal" and plan "standard": Service plan standard not found."

Since portal is not in picture anymore why am I getting a error regarding this portal thing while trying  to deploy my  Application. Can you please suggest a solution for this so that I can deploy my Application.
AviadRivlin
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos
Can you please open a separate question on this topic for people to see and advise.

Thanks,

Aviad
pradeep_nellore
Participant
0 Kudos
Hi Aviad,

Is it possible to try spaces and pages with SAP BTP Trial account with Launch pad service. We are trying to connect to ES1 demo system. We dont see an option of creating new ones. Please suggest.

Thanks

Pradeep
AviadRivlin
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos
Yes, this is possible. I suggest following this tutorial and make sure you get pages and spaces from the S/4HANA system: Enhance Your SAP Launchpad Site with Federated SAP S/4HANA Content

Aviad
0 Kudos

I did some more investigation and realized from Cloud launch pad roadmap   that spaces and pages will be available in cloud only from Q2 2022 

Pradeep

AviadRivlin
Employee
Employee
Please distinguish between two cases:

1. Pages and spaces configured in the S/4HANA FES and being consumed to the Launchpad on BTP - this is already available

2. Custom definition of pages and spaces in the Launchpad service (on BTP) - this is still in development.

pradeep_nellore
Participant
0 Kudos
Thanks for clarifying. Its clear now. We are trying option 2.
AviadRivlin
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos
which is not yet available...
0 Kudos
Yo tuve el mismo problema, Al ir al servicio Launchpad me re-dirigía  a una página con el mensaje "Access Denied”. Lo que hice fue Cerrar sesión y esperar. Al cabo de un rato, ya no me apareció ese mensaje y pude ver el Site Directory.
cperdomo
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Aviad,

I want to test the standard fiori apps (hr) in cloud version  using the a trial account, but the portal service is not available for this kind of account anymore. Can i do it using the launchpad service? If the answer is true, how?

Thanks
AviadRivlin
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos
Yes, please use the Launchpad service on BTP Trial (now: SAP Build Work Zone, standard edition) to deploy your Fiori apps on BTP.

You can follow the following tutorial: https://developers.sap.com/mission.cp-starter-digitalexp-portal.html

Aviad
cperdomo
Explorer
0 Kudos
Hi Aviad thanks for your answer,

You description is the option to be able to publish an application within the launchpad. In my case, I would like to know how to activate all the standard HR services (version on cloud), with all its predefined tiles and applications.
Previously this could be done within the portal service, but now with just the launchpad service I can't find where to activate it

Thanks,