cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Add Lines Using Filter By Member ("Select All" scenario)

filipe_zeuch
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi everyone,

I have noticed many incidents sent to Analysis for Office team in SAP where the scenario is related to the functionality "Add Lines Using Filter By Member" and the "select all" option.

The issue reported is that when selecting all members, the values are not being sent to the prompt and in case of a mandatory variable, it is not possible to select all members.

This is by design. When pushing the "Add Lines Using Filter By Member" it is possible to select several members. When checking "Select All" and closing this dialog the prompt screen shows an empty field.

This is because an empty field means that this variable shows all members (empty == Select All).

In case of a mandatory variable it's not possible to close the prompt screen when having chosen "Select All" / empty field. In this case the design of the query forces you to not display all values but restrict the result set.

If you want to be able to "Select All" members, you have to set the variable as optional in your query definition, and not mandatory.

Regards,

Filipe

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

filipe_zeuch
Advisor
Advisor

UPDATE

As mentioned by Alexander Peter, in Analysis for Office 2.3 it is possible to select the option "Explicit Selection" as shown in the screenshot below:

Using this option, the variable will be filled with all members.

Regards,

Filipe

0 Kudos

Hi Filipe,

we find when clicking "Add Lines Using Filter By Member" and select value from file, only values already existing in the prompt can be selected if value exists in prompt, and all values are selected when no value in prompt, we would like to set prompt from values in file, could you tell is it possible?

Regards,

Shidong

cornelia_lezoch
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Filipe,

it´s nice that you explain it here, but in my opinion this is an error in design.

Often we need to have the variable as mandatory AND there is no reason not to allow the user to select all values.

So this selection of all values has to be possible without any funny workarounds.

regards

Cornelia

filipe_zeuch
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Cornelia,

Thank you for your feedback. Although I have seen more than one customer asking for this functionality, I did not see any request in our Idea Place, which is our main channel for any enhancement request in Analysis for Office, as described in SAP note 1879237.

I strongly recommend you to request this enhancement there, since you will have more details regarding the business requirement and can better explain why the users would like to have this functionality.

Afterwards, you can share the link to your request in this thread, so other customers can vote for it there and raise its priority.

Regards,

Filipe

cornelia_lezoch
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Filipe,

there is an idea which is already 2 years old about this topic

https://ideas.sap.com/ct/ct_a_view_idea.bix?c=74624057-8A9E-4511-844E-2399DFBF5EE8&idea_id=595AF067-...

regards

Cornelia

filipe_zeuch
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Cornelia,

Thank you for the link. I believe I was not searching for the correct keywords.

As this request is already in discussion in our Idea Place, AO developers are already aware of it.

Nevertheless, I will try to push it and check if they are planning to change this functionality based on the business requirements mentioned on the Idea Place.

Regards,

Filipe

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Filipe,

It looks to have been a while since this issue has been discussed.  Are you aware of a change to this functionality being made asap?  I am in the process of evaluating version 2.2 and it does not appear to have been fixed in the version I am looking at.

Any update appreciated,

thanks,

Mike

filipe_zeuch
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Mike,

I am not aware of a change in this functionality yet.

I checked with development team and from a conceptual point it is difficult to handle this scenario differently.

Selecting all members (like you are doing) means having set no filter. In other words the value "all" does not exist. If you want to filter all members you just have to leave the selected list of members empty.

But for mandatory variables you have to specify at least one value / member. The design of this variable wants the user to have at least one value specified.

Regards,

Filipe

alexander_peter
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi all,

as of release 2.3, you will be able to do an "explicit selection", i.e. the so-called component list (or the where clause) will be filled with ALL values. This is necessary in particular for authorization variables ...

Best,

Alex