Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Analytics Dataset Vs Consumption Layer

BenedictV
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

What is the difference between creating a Analytic Dataset in Data Builder Vs Business Builder?

I am following the exercise in : https://github.com/SAP-samples/teched2022-DA160

In Exercise 5 we create a Graphical View(Analytic Dataset) in Data Builder with associations to master data. In Exercise 10 we create a Analytic Dataset (this time in Business Builder) using the view created in Ex 5, but we again define the associations to master data. I do not understand why we have to define the associations again if we are already using the underlying view.

Can someone take a look and help me understand why we need these different artifacts for achieving the same results?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Hello Benedict Venmani Felix,

thanks for raising the question. The simple answer is that you are working as one person in two different roles in that example. In exercise 5 you are more an IT focused person - which can acquire data, do joins etc. and expose data for SAC with an analytic data set. In the other exercise you are (in theory) a business person who do not have any access to sources and data preparation (assuming you have no rights to change anything on the tables/views). This group of users are using the business builder to create (upon the given data) there data models (consumption model) to create a perspective and use the results also in SAC. That´s why you need to re-create associations in that example - it´s like a situation where the IT did not provide associations at all. Hope that explains the demo scenario. Of course this might look completely different in a real-life situation - that´s why it is an simple training exercise. Hope that helps.

BR Thomas

BenedictV
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks Thomas. In real life scenario would the association defined in the Analytic Dataset be available in my Consumption Model?

I will anyway, try this out in the trial system and find out.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

0 Kudos

Benedict,

maybe you have heard that on March 8th there was the announcement of SAP Datasphere and with that the Analytic Model. This will further harmonize and on the long run streamline the activities. So maybe you should have a look into that as well.

Best Thomas