cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

code to data paradigm : what's the fuss?

former_member183909
Active Participant

Hi

I have just completed the OpenSAP course on ABAP Development for SAP HANA. After that I was still trying to understand why the Code to Data paradigm is "new" news... I think we all understand that doing operations is better at the Database Level rather than at the Application Level has been known since databases were "invented" . - so there is no surprise there.

SAP have given us HANA - great job !... SAP have given us CDS etc and improved Open SQL greatly.

So I have SAP running on SAP Hana - if you had to select data that required CASE, COALESCE, UNION and you can do this in ABAP Open SQL in a regular ABAP why would you go off into yet another tool - Eclipse and create a CDS view or AMDP. Would it perform better ?

Sandra_Rossi
Active Contributor

ABAP SQL is just converted into native SQL, so it performs identically with the equivalent SQL via CDS views and AMDP. The difference is for several ABAP SQL queries mixed together with useless data transferred, that you can't do in one ABAP SQL query, then it will operate faster at database side.

DoanManhQuynh
Active Contributor

I think CDS view help to expose data to other system and ADMP help to call the SQL script, procedures...which you don't have to reinvent all those query statements in ABAP.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

UweFetzer_se38
Active Contributor

Code pushdown is nothing new, you are absolutely right. It's just "new" for many ABAP developers. And in addition before NW 7.40 SP5/8 ABAP SQL just hadn't enough power (CASE, COALESCE, UNION ) to do many pushdowns.

AMDP adds the ability to execute SQL Script and other database dependent features like Graph processing.

CDS views offers the capabilities to push down several filters to the database level that weren’t available before. One eg is the authorization restrictions which are applied after data selection. Now with CDS DCL concept these filter/restrictions are pushed down to the dB level.

Another major benefit is the power to aggregate and to manipulate this using dB hints defined using CDS views. They instruct the dB how to execute the query.

Some of these capabilities weren’t available before. So it’s more about adding features rather than introducing a new concept.

Hope this helps.