cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deploy to HANA Cloud fails with missing build plugin after migration from HANA Service

jreimann
Participant

Hi community,

we migrated from HANA Service to HANA Cloud Service following the migration guide. However when we start the deployment of our database schema it fails.

$ node node_modules/@sap/hdi-deploy/deploy.js --root ./dist/db --auto-undeploy  --exit
(...)
   modified files: [
     "src/.hdiconfig",
     "src/gen/.hdiconfig"
   ]
(...)
   Deploying the configuration file "src/.hdiconfig"... 
   Warning: Could not find a configured library that contains the "com.sap.hana.di.virtualfunctionpackage.hadoop" build plugin [8211539]
     at "src/.hdiconfig" (0:0)
(...)
   Adding "src/gen/myModel.MyTable.hdbtable" for deploy... ok  (0s 0ms)
   Error: Could not find the "com.sap.hana.di.cds" build plugin [8210501]
   Error: Preparing... failed [8211602]
(...)

During the migration the wizard informed us that "com.sap.di.cds" build plugin is not supported with HANA Cloud (see here). However we could proceed with migration.

After the migration was successful we adjusted our coding to run with HANA Cloud. We changed the following files.
.cdsrc.json
Added:

"hana": {
   "deploy-format": "hdbtable",
   "syntax": "hdi"
}

Changed:

"requires": {
     "db": {
         "kind": "hana-cloud"
     }
}

As various HDI build plugins are deprecated like mentioned above (see here) I removed them from the .hdiconfig file. Among other things also the "com.sap.hana.di.cds" build plugin - which let's the deployment fail.

We are using the following versions of cds npm packages:

@sap/cds: 6.7.0
@sap/cds-compiler: 3.8.2
@sap/cds-dk: 6.7.0
@sap/hdi-deploy: 4.2.3
hdb: 0.19.0

Which steps do we need to take to deploy our schema to HANA Cloud? It seems that the deployer wants to delete/undeploy the outdated .hdbcds files and needs the "com.sap.hana.di.cds" build plugin for doing this. But this plugin is deprecated in HANA Cloud and therefore no longer exists, so the deployment fails.

Kind regards,
Johannes

jreimann
Participant
0 Kudos

Found a possible solution here:
https://answers.sap.com/answers/13866202/view.html

Do I understand correctly that we need to revert our migration and then undeploy the hdbcds files on each HDI container (even those included in the service manager) individually?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

lothar_bender
Advisor
Advisor

Hi Johannes,

as described in the corresponding answer - it is crucial that you first switch to hdbtable/hdbview based deployment on your HaaS instance before starting the migration. I think there is no better solution than reverting the entire migration as the hdbcds artifacts cannot be undeployed on the HANA Cloud instance.

You can define wildcards in the undeploy.json file in order to undeploy existing hdbcds files as shown below. No table will be dropped as a handover form hdbcds to corresponding hdbtable based deployment will take place as long as a corresponding counterpart exists.

Thus, you have to ensure that no hdbcds artifacts exist before starting the migration - otherwise it will fail as the required build plugin com.sap.hana.di.cds is not supported on SAP HANA Cloud as you've already recognized. This build plugin is also required for undeployment. Any build plugins that are not supported on HANA Cloud have to be deleted from the .hdiconfig file.

[
  "src/**/*.hdbcds"
]

Note: The setting "syntax": "hdi" is no longer supported and should be deleted.

Regards,
Lothar

VolkerSaggau
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert

Hi Johannes,

in HANA Cloud we do not support HDBCDS. So you have to clean up the Source (HANA Service or HANA 2) to work without HDBCDS. If you use CAP you have a single spot where you can adjust the generation call deploy-format

Now that only have hdbtable generated you still have hdbcds files in your design time repository (<containername>#DI). WebIDE or BAS by default will clean that up with appending --auto-undeploy to the HDI deploy command. Now if you do cf deploy this mechanism is not there. You have to add the undeploy.json to work in automated environment.

If you have mixed scenarios with your own hdbcds (various reasons for this) you can use a open source tool called hana-cli with a command called "massConvert". This will allow you to convert by reverse engineering from the run time objects.

jreimann
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi lothar.bender,
Hi volker.saggau,

thank you for your help. We managed to migrate to HANA Cloud Service. We reverted the migration, undeployed the unsported plugin files and restarted the migration. Unfortunately we had to delete the instance of HANA Cloud and recreate it because we ran in the "Target HANA has executed catalog migration before" error.

Are there any plans to include the point in the migration guide that the undeployment of hdi plugins (hdbcds files) that are no longer supported is essential to complete the migration successfully in the sense that you can still deploy your database schema after the migration? This is the information I was missing on my first try.

Thanks again & kind regards,
Johannes

VolkerSaggau
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hello Johannes Reimann,

thanks very much for the feedback. I will inform the respective products to think about solutions to prevent you experience.

Best regards

Volker Saggau

ravindrapawar
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Johannes,

Hi Volker Saggau,

We don't use CAP. It is an MTA application with db module containing hand coded .hdbcds artifact file. We have deployed it to HANA Service and now working on migration of HANA service to HANA Cloud.

Does that hdbtable deploy-format applicable to non CAP MTA application?

How do we make sure that the unsupported hdbcds plugin files are undeployed from the source HANA Service? I know the migration check does that but can we ensure it before starting mirgation?

Thanks,

Ravindra

Hi Ravindra,

To check what kinds of artifacts exist in my HDI container, I used the following SQL command:
SELECT TOP 10000 * FROM "YOURSCHEMA#DI"."M_OBJECTS"

Thank you,
Vera

ravindrapawar
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Vera,

Thanks for the answer. I am able to check the type of artifacts in my HDI Contianer.

Thanks,

Ravindra

Answers (0)