cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to decide HANA data backup compression level

giulia-felappi
Participant

Hi everyone, 

I'd like to test a data backup with compression on HANA SPS06. According to the documentation below, I first need to change the config parameter "data_backup_compression_level" to a value different than 0 and then execute the backup with the "COMPRESSED" parameter. 

However, the Help Guide only reports the possible values (0 - 65537) with the note "higher level = faster compression but larger backup size". There is no guidance on how to decide the right value to use according to your needs. 

In note 3312135 I found out that on HANA Cockpit "you can select from 5 different degrees (Very High, High, .... Very Low) since we decided that this is easier to handle than the numbers from the corresponding database configuration parameter". 

But what if I currently don't have HANA Cockpit and I need to use HANA Studio (or DBACOCKPIT in case of S/4HANA)? Does anyone know what is the value of the parameter corresponding to each of the 5 levels proposed on HANA Cockpit? 

Documentation: 

Thank you!

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

HakanHaslaman
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

FAST ('1') - this corresponds to the "Very Low" compression level in HANA Cockpit. It provides the fastest backup speed but the least compression.... OFF ('0') - this corresponds to the "No Compression" level in HANA Cockpit. It turns off the backup compression.

Not sure, if there is something in HANA Studio Configuration tab like backup compression algorithm parameter in the persistence section, you can check this.
In DBACOCKPIT, may there are something to find in the Database Parameters section.

giulia-felappi
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi @HakanHaslaman 

that unfortunately does not answer my question.

I know which parameter is to be set and it is available on HANA Studio or DBAcockpit. What I don't understand, is which value is to be set, since there's no guidance in the Help Guide. 
As described in the SAP note, this has been simplified on HANA Cockpit with some levels (very low to very high) corresponding to some values in the range 0-65537. But on HANA Studio there's no possibility to set like this.  

Thank you!