cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to handle the Transformations and code after Migration from BW 7.01 to BW 7.4 SP 14

sunil_sanjamala
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi,

Greetings!

The system is getting Upgrade from BW 7.01 to BW 7.4 SP 14 .

What is the best approach to handle the  Transformations and existing code as Start,End and Expert Routines.

Does the code conversion happens automatically after Unicode Conversion?

Request to  share any related links or steps and any checklist with guidelines.

Thank You,

Sunil

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

FCI
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Sunil,

There is no automatic code conversion during the upgrade. A unicode conversion doesn't impact the ABAPs existing in transformation (code is always syntaxically  checked as if the system is a Unicode one).

If you migrate also to hana, code may need to be adjusted for performances reason (tranformation push down to hana) but this not a mandatory task.

For sure, transformations have to be tested after upgrade but nothing to worry about the Unicode or hana migration. 

Regards,

Frederic

sunil_sanjamala
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Frederic,

Many Thanks for your comments.

So if there is a "Select " Statement written in my Start Routine.

or any Code written in my Transformation.In this case is there any Mandatory task (Action required to make it compatible with HANA Database)to get the desired results After Migration.

Request your inputs.

Many Thanks,

Sunil

FCI
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

There are few mandatory tasks that should be done on ABAP following a Hana migration but they are very uncommon on a BW system (compared to an ECC) moreover on ABAP transformation.

Generally speaking, the main issues are probably on the following points

- Native SQL will have to be checked (at the time, I've never seen any Native SQL on a BW system),

- Implicit DB sorting. If a SELECT doesn't specify an ORDER BY clause you will receive the result rows in an order depending on the DB. If you change the DB, you may change the order. If the order change, you may obtain a different result (depending on the algorithm; for instance, the option BINARY SEARCH of a READ heavily depends on the order of the result set).

The last point is probably the most common issue you can expect on a "classic" BW system.

Regards,

Frederic

former_member200967
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Sunil,

Can you please use the SAP note http://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/1847431.

It mentions what steps to be taken to verify the ABAP routines before upgrade. You need to correct  the issues that are pointed out before the upgrade .

Regards,

Manpreet

sunil_sanjamala
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Manpreet,

Thanks for reply.

Finally i got chance to look at 1847431 .

The programme ZBW_ABAP_ANALYZER is not considering the Tranformations in 7.x version

for analysing the risk .That is any database hint.

Request your inputs.

Thanks,

Sunil

former_member200967
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Sunil,

I did not understand what do you mean by "

ZBW_ABAP_ANALYZER is not considering the Tranformations in 7.x version

for analysing the risk .That is any database hint."

Is it that the tool program is not analyzing the 7.X transformations? Or is it that you are not able to see the logs?

There is a very detailed documentation about the tool which is attached in the SAP NOTE.

Regards,

Manpreet

sunil_sanjamala
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Frederic,

You are right,if the BW system is in 7.x version,it is clear that there is no chance of having Native SQL Statements in the System.

As part of pre-checks before migration the programme ZBW_ABAP_ANALYZER is used to analyse the risk of migration.

The programme has showed the warning for a list of Update Rules which has  the SELECT statements used in Field Level routines .But it is clear that the Tranformation in 7.x version are not considered for this analysis.

Any programmed to do this which is suggested by SAP.

Thanks,

Sunil

sunil_sanjamala
Explorer
0 Kudos

Yes Manpreet,

The tool program is not analyzing the 7.X transformations.

Thanks,

Sunil

former_member200967
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Sunil,

is the option to check 7.x Transformations not active? or Is it that the program does not execute?

Also, the logs for the program output can be checked in SLG1 too.

Regards,

Manpreet

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

nils_buerckel
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Sunil,

please have a look at SAP note 1322715

Attachment: Business_Integration_in_Mixed_Unicode_and_Non-Unicode_System_Landscapes_2010.pdf

Best regards,

Nils Buerckel

sunil_sanjamala
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Buerckel,

The SAP Note was more informative,but it was related to Unicode process and method.

But i need to analyse the Transformations .

Any inputs.

Thanks,

Sunil

FCI
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Sunil,

the program ZBW_ABAP_ANALYZER analyzes the transformations (and this is the main analyzed kind of objects):

* The tool scans the system for ABAP code used in BW transformations,

* transfer rules and update rules. It can be used for documentation

* and/or highlighting performance critical parts of the code.

Regards,

Frederic

sunil_sanjamala
Explorer
0 Kudos

Yes Frederic,

Actually i had used this programme and found some 3.X dataflows which has SELECT statements in Field Level Routines.

Jut not to take chance,i went through RSAABAP table to check the Transformations which has Select statements at Field Level.I found few.

So i started thinking does ZBW_ABAP_ANALYZER will include the 7.X actually while execution.

Anyhow as you noted above,will agree.

Thanks for your help.

Sunil