cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASE connectivity using sybase dblib

0 Kudos

Hi,

i am running a C++ application which connects to sybase 16 DB.

This application uses sybase DB LIB API call (like dblogin, dbopen etc).

Recently there is a password encryption enabled on this database which requires setting EncryptPassword=1 in connection string while connecting to database.

How this DB connection can be safely established from a C++ application using sybase DB lib.

AlexGourdet
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Thank you for visiting SAP Community to get answers to your questions.

As you're looking to get most out of your community membership, please consider include a profile picture to increase user engagement & additional resources to your reference that can really benefit you:

I hope you find this advice useful, and we're happy to have you as part of SAP Community!

All the best,

Alex

View Entire Topic
c_baker
Advisor
Advisor

There is documentation at: https://help.sap.com/docs/SAP_ASE_SDK/508bbd4903c74c50be8afcc0b92ebc9a/c016059d6db61014bf8f040071e61...

However, be aware that CTLIB should be used for all new application development - https://launchpad.support.sap.com/#/notes/3059630. DBLIB is very old and may be removed in future SDK releases.

Chris

0 Kudos

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your response.

This is the old application which is already using DBLIB and this application need to be migrated to sybase 16 encryption enabled server. It’s difficult for us to move the whole application on CTLIB.

I tried setting DBSETLENCRYPT to true in connection request but it did not work. Should we need to get the encryption key from server, encrypt the password and then send it ? Do you have any example as to how this can be done.

In CTLIB its a one liner change to support this enhancement. If I am not wrong just need to set CS_SEC_EXTENDED_ENCRYPTION.

Kindly provide detail example as to how to support this enhancement in DBLIB

c_baker
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

I cannot provide examples beyond the documentation.

I am not a dblib/ctlib expert, so if the documented methods do not work, there may be others, like Mark, who can help.

In the end, however, you may have to look at converting the application code to CTLIB.

Chris