cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best practices to show following / downstream process(es) in a BPMN diagram

danielschoeneck
Explorer
0 Kudos

I was wondering how to best visualize in a BPMN diagram, which process(es) is the following / next process.
What is your best practice for this?

My current approach is an attribute called "Next Process" (and an overlay) for the end event where a diagram link can be inserted.

Looks like this in the Hub:

And like this in the editing mode:

View Entire Topic
pauldewildt
Advisor
Advisor

Hello Daniel, Vlad,

Another way is to link processes in Signavio is to use the element 'Intermediate link event' (https://documentation.signavio.com/suite/en-us/Content/workflow-accelerator/userguide/control-flow/intermediate-link-event.htm). This will create a start or end event with a link, no custom attribute required. The event is clickable in the Collaboration Hub and it will go to the linked process.

This way of modeling is not following the BPMN standard; according to OMG: "Link Event uses are limited to a single Process level (i.e., they cannot link a parent Process with a Sub-Process)". There are no other elements in the BPMN notation that links processes, except the sub-process.

If you want to model exact to the standard then a custom attribute for the End event is the best way; if you're allowed to be a little less strict the Intermediate event is an option.