Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Comma in column header name converting xml to excel

amritmishra
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I am currently working on an integration where we convert the incoming xml payload after transformations to an xls file as output. I am leveraging FormatConversionBean to achieve this. To configure the header names, I have configured the fieldNames property to pick header names = ‘fromConfiguration". However, I have a column which has a ,(comma) in the header name and the conversion solution splits the single column with ,(comma) into multiple columns.

For example - this is the header we have : If married,single income?- Y/N splits into two columns If Married as column 1 and single income?-Y/N as column2.

Please share your experience, if you have dealt with this issue in the past and the approach you took to resolve this issue.

Attaching a screenshot of the FormatConversionBean config

Approach 1 - I tried using double quotes for the column name, but it still splits the column into two.

Approach 2- Tried using different escape character options but it did not work.

Approach 3- I set addHeaderLine to "None" and tried appending the headers after the conversion, however, this lead to the xls file getting corrupted. I also tried to use different symbols like : | ; and / instead of comma and then using a groovy script to replace them but it corrupts the xls file.

Attaching screenshot of what the column output looks like:

VijayKonam
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You may have write an adapter module that removes that , from that header before the format bean is applied. Or just another interface that reads the input file, replaces that , and place the file in a folder for the main interface to pick it up and process.

View Entire Topic
Ryan-Crosby
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Amrit,

If you enclose your headers in the configuration inside double quotes then Excel should ignore said comma.

Regards,

Ryan Crosby

amritmishra
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hey Ryan,

Thanks for taking the time to respond to my question.

I tried double quotes for all the columns like : Column1, Column 2, "If married,single income?- Y/N"

but it did not resolve the issue, still splits the columns.

I also tried double quotes for all the columns like : "Column1, Column2, If married,single income?-Y/N"

but got the same result.

I have updated my question with other approaches I tried.

Regards,

Amrit

Ryan-Crosby
Active Contributor

amrit.mishra I checked the bean source code on Github and it does a simple split on comma, so you cannot use commas in the fieldNames designation. You would need to alter the Groovy code for the bean to support that use case.

amritmishra
Explorer
0 Kudos

Appreciate your input and time. Thanks

Ryan-Crosby
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

amrit.mishra one thing you could try as a complete data hack is to use a special comma like character in that field name -٫

Unicode character U+0066B which effectively presents like a regular comma. Not sure if it would trick the execution of the split but you could try it.