Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connect Design Studio to BW via BI Platform

kostyah
Participant
0 Kudos

Dear Community,

Assume the architecture consists of these 3 components: DS Client + BI Platform, DS Add On + BW.

OLAP connection to BW is set up in BI Platform and works.

Problem: From Design Studio I can only access BI Platform and I expect that connection to BW will be established through BI Platform host.

But! Why does DS still try to connect to BW directly? It fails of course, because BW host is not directly reachable from DS host. How to fix it...

- Kostia

View Entire Topic
MustafaBensan
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Kostia,

Are you saying that Design Studio is trying to connect to BW directly even though you have logged into the BI Platform with Design Studio?

Regards,

Mustafa.

kostyah
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Mustafa,

yes, the network monitor registers establishing a connection from Design Studio to the BW system IP address. This exact IP address is used in an OLAP connection @ BI Platform.

I expected only BI Platform to establish a connection to the BW (see drawing) and DS Client to use encapsulated/tunneled connection via BI Platform.

UPD:

- DS App opened in a browser seem to work fine and connect only to BI Platform.

- DS Client still cannot use the BW connection when using remote BI Platform as back-end. (30 sec video attached)

Kostia

Message was edited by: Kostia Kharchenko

MustafaBensan
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Kostia,

Thanks for the detailed explanation.  I wonder if the following diagram from    presentation explains the behaviour you are experiencing?:

Regards,

Mustafa.

kostyah
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Mustafa,

(you seem to be lucky to get a seat in a call Marcio has arranged? )

This is interesting and strange!

I seem to have the same setup, but from my understanding it tries to approach BW directly from Design Studio:

Assumption 1: I only have one port opened (:80) on my BI Platform.

Its enough for

A) running BI Launchpad

B) starting DS in "BI Platform" mode.

And not enough for pulling data from BW during design time.

Maybe some other ports should be opened? (what is Corba?)

MustafaBensan
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Kostia,

My understanding is that you are trying to access the BW system externally via the internet.  If that is the case then the BW system will either need to be configured with a public IP (external) address, otherwise you'll need to connect via  a VPN.

Regards,

Mustafa.

kostyah
Participant
0 Kudos

You are right, Mustafa,

it works only once I light up a VPN connection on the same machine with Design Studio.

Let me leave this topic opened for future suggestions, or maybe until such an "OLAP tunneling through a single connection to BI Platform" will be implemented in the future, who knows .

Appreciate your care,

Regards from Kostia