Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Document Information Extraction : Purpose of Documents and Templates

peter_munt4
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi

I have just installed the Document Information Extraction. Wondering what the purpose is for Documents and Templates. If I have 3 different Supplier Invoices do I create 3 documents and then tie all of those into 1 Template ?

I have at the moment uploaded 3 documents - when uploading a document you must choose a schema and a template. You can see from the screenshots that my documents have a template "PetersTest". But when I look at the Template only 1 document is there and this is because I specially added it on that Template tile. I was expecting it to have all 3 documents.

View Entire Topic
Jay_Xiong
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

If all 3 of your invoices have same or very similar header fields and line item fields, it is a good practice to use 1 template for extraction. You can create 1 template that holds 1 schema that is applicable to all three.

If all 3 invoices have very different header fields and line item fields, there is no point to use template. The point of using template is to save time for repeating jobs, e.g. you have 1000 invoices with the same data structure to process.

peter_munt4
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Jay

I still don't understand the purpose of a template here. Perhaps it is because I am approaching this from the world of SAP Central Invoice Management (SAP CIM). I have just set this up and was testing with scanning in PDF Supplier Invoices into SAP CIM. But I was not happy with the OCR as it was missing elements like the Price and UOM. Then I stumbled upon Document Information Extraction. So I installed that too - I have scanned in that PDF into it too and have made the missing elements known to it. It seems that a template is optional but I created one anyway.

We would have hundreds of different suppliers all with slightly different Invoice layouts.

Am I meant to load in SAMPLES of each Supplier's invoices so that my SAP CIM can benefit from me telling it exactly where the data is on the form?

There is nothing in the DOX that says which S4HC Supplier it is for so how would the SAP CIM know which DOX document/template to examine to help it ?