cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does SAP Data Warehouse Cloud currently support PAL functions?

thomasyuan
Explorer
0 Kudos

With data models and calc views all set up, I am exploring potential predictive functionalities of SDWC with two options:

- Predictive functions through hana.ml & hana.ml.r packages

- SQL Script based PAL functions calls through JDBC connection

In both scenarios I was prompted privilege error. However, all of following SQL suggests SWDC tenant has AFL/PAL properly configured.

SELECT * FROM "SYS"."AFL_AREAS" WHERE AREA_NAME = 'AFLPAL';
SELECT * FROM "SYS"."AFL_PACKAGES" WHERE AREA_NAME = 'AFLPAL';
SELECT * FROM "SYS"."AFL_FUNCTIONS" WHERE AREA_NAME = 'AFLPAL';

I am wondering whether PAL functions are currently (July 2020) supported in SWDC or it is merely my misconfiguration?

Thanks.

dvankempen
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

You asked a question. Don't forget to mark the answer that helped you most as correct. Thanks!

For the readers, before you leave, don't forget to up/down vote the answers. You can vote on the question too.

Thanks.

View Entire Topic
AxSAP
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert

Hi Thomas,

DWC wave 2021.01 will provide the capability to enable the HANA Cloud script server on the DWC-Space level.

Once activated, you can connect using the DB-User to the openSQL-Schema and run HANA SQL commands / or external tooling (e.g. python) to leverage the HANA Cloud PAL/APL library functions. WebIDE and the accroding project setup is the other option to leverage the HANA Cloud PAL/APL library functions.

Thanks,

-Axel

thomasyuan
Explorer
0 Kudos

That's great news! Really looking forward to it.

Thanks.

XaviPolo
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I'm looking forward to this update. It will be very interesting to add PAL/APL to DWC projects.

YatseaLi
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi All,

As of Sep 22 2021, I can't find any activation option in space level of my DWC (version 2021.19.67) with Database Release 4.00.000.00.1629881058 (2021.18.11)

However, found out the help portal about this topic below. Basically, you need to create an SAP ticket to request scriptserver enablement in your DWC tenant.

Using the Machine Learning Libraries (APL and PAL) in DWC https://help.sap.com/viewer/9f804b8efa8043539289f42f372c4862/cloud/en-US/287194276a7d4d778ec98fdde5f....
=>
"For a step-by-step guide to create an SAP ticket and enable the machine
learning libraries take a look at this SAP Knowledge Base Article:2994416 - Enablement of APL and PAL in DWC"

Kind Regards, Yatsea

AxSAP
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Yatsea,

yes - you need to request the script server to be enabled on your DWC tenant via SAP-ticket.

Once activated, you need to activate the checkbox in your SPACE to let DWC grant the according privileges to the according DB-User. You need to re-create an additional DB-User in your Space after the Script-server and checkbox has been activated to have the acording privileges granted.

Sorry for the confusion.