cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Entering debugging with ADT ends up always in SAPMSSYD

jrgkraus
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I use "/h" to activate debugging from a SAPGUI window that I created from Eclipse 

I deactivated system debugging in the settings

Nevertheless the debugger stops always at program SAPMSSYD - module %_CTL_INPUT1

Eclipse version:

Version: 2022-12 (4.26.0)

Build id: 20221201-1913

ABAP Version: 750

Sandra_Rossi
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
Almost same thing with Eclipse 2023-12 ADT 3.38 ABAP 7.52. The first time in the internal session, it doesn't stop at system program, but the following times it stops at SAPMSSYD.
Armin_Beil
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos
Hello jrgkraus and Sandra. Unfortunately the issue is not reproducible in our internal systems. I tested with SAP_BASIS 7.50 and 7.52, newest SP each, newest version of ADT&Eclipse. I also discussed this with my colleagues and nobody was aware, so it is not a known problem. I assume that you use the ok code '/h' and not '/hs', correct? Ok-code /hs is like /h but it also directly activates system debugging. The only thing we found is that we maybe have a bit of an undefined situation if the system debugging setting is deactivated in ADT but ok-code /hs is used. However I assume this is unrelated to your problem and unfortunately I was unable to stop in SAPMSSYD with using /h only. Do you use ADT as the only tool for debugging or do you sometimes switch between ADT Debugger and GUI Debugger? There is a conflict potential between the ADT debugger and SAP GUI external breakpoints if used for the same system+client+username at the same time.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Armin_Beil
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert

I would like to extend the previously provided answer with some additional comments. The previous statements of my colleague Ivan are correct for the cloud case. But ADT also provides development-tools and support-tools for on premise environments, down to SAP_BASIS 7.31 SP4, and there are currently no plans to change that.

In SAP cloud environments (e.g. BTP ABAP environment or S/4HANA ABAP environment):
- ADT uses HTTPS to communicate with the server
- (Embedded) SAP GUI is not available and therefore the use of /h is not possible
- Using the development model called ABAP Cloud is mandatory

In on premise environments:
- ADT uses SAP RFC to communicate with the ABAP server
- ADT-embedded-GUI is available and the use of /h in an ADT-embedded-GUI window is valid and can be used
- Using the ABAP Cloud development model is recommended but not mandatory
- Even if is not ideal to use classic development models (e.g. dynpro/screens/transactions) for the development of completely new functionality, it is still possible in on premise
- Furthermore it is important to distinguish between new development and support for existing development. Of course support for classic transactions and old code in on premise is absolutely valid and very important and ADT also provides the tools to do that kind of support. So it is completely fine to use the ADT debugger and other ADT support tools to do support for classic transactions etc. in on premise. I'm not aware of any plans to change that.

Regarding the original question of ending up in SAPMSSYD: We will double check this in the debugger dev team and see if there is any way to improve this situation.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Ivan-Mirisola
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert

Hi @jrgkraus@Sandra_Rossi,

ADT communicates with the SAP Backend server via HTTP - which is not used when you call '/h'.

'/h' requires the use of RFC protocol and ADT uses it via the embedded Gui.

Please read the answer provided by my colleague @Armin_Beil here.

I would highly recommend using the technique described on the following note.

https://me.sap.com/notes/3119720/E

Best regards,
Ivan