cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extensibility Options in the context of a SAP BTP, ABAP Environment Multitenant Application?

pfefferf
Active Contributor

Currently I am evaluting the usage of SAP BTP, ABAP Environment for a Multitenant Application scenario. One evaluation point is what extensibility options that scenario will provide. As I did not find any documentation regarding that, I want to address my questions here and maybe florian.wahl or andre.fischer or someone else can deliver valuable input for that topic.

By the way, I saw that in the Roadmap Explorer for Q3 2021 improvements for extensibility in multitenant scenarios are planned, but the given information does not clarify any questions.

Let us assume we have following scenario:

• A multitenant application on SAP BTP, ABAP Environment; RAP and Fiori Elements are used
  • Consumer A wants to extend a BO with additional properties, expose that via the existing services and include that in the existing Fiori Elements application (to make it a little bit more complicated in a extension section which displays a freestyle implemented fragment).
  • Consumer B wants to extend a BO with additional properties too. In addition he wants to add additional actions.

Questions:

• RAP specific: BOs can be extended with extension view entities, but how the behavior and service layer can be extended to add e.g. additional entities, actions, functions?
  • Are such extension scenarios supported in case the tenant-mode for the ABAP solution is "multi"? "multi" means to my understanding that the data "isolation" for different consumers is done by client separation on the same shared ABAP environment system. So I would assume that e.g. extending the same BO with additional properties from different consumers is not supported.
  • Are such extension scenarios supported in case the tenant-mode of the ABAP solution is "single"? As in single mode for each consumer a separate ABAP Environment is provisioned and access to such systems is possible with development tools (according to documentation) I guess that in this setup extensions are possible. Event the deployment of additional artifacts. Of course a setup is necessary which provides a separate "development", "test" provider infrastructure which allows the consumer to develop and test on separate instances, before moving the solution to the production subscription system.
    One drawback of the "single" tenant-mode approach is of course the additional price tag, because each single provisioned system needs to be payed.
  • Will "classic" key user extensibility (including UI Flexibility) be supported on "multi" provisioned ABAP solutions?
  • Will UI Adaptation projects be supported on "single"/"multi" provisioned ABAP solutions in future (at the moment the documentation says no)?

Questions (non-related to extensibility):

• One additional question not related to extensibility: In the Landscape Portal an overview about the system landscape is given with options to update the created ABAP AddOn. In case of a "single" tenant-mode, does it mean, that the AddOn update can/must be done for each single provisioned system separate or is there an option to update all systems to the same AddOn version at once.

Thanks for your feedback.

Florian

View Entire Topic
ThomasSchneider
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Florian,

extensibility in the context of a SAP BTP, ABAP Environment Multitenant Application is still on the roadmap. It will have "isolation" for different consumers that are separated by client separation on the same shared ABAP environment system. The extensibility features on the roadmap are:

- UI adaptation (UI adaptation mode in the Fiori Launchpad)

- adding custom fields

- adding custom logic (BAdI implementation)

There is no difference between a system that is used with multiple clients or with only one client.

Please watch out to the what's new for the next releases for details.

Best regards,

Thomas

pfefferf
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks for the answer, but the content is more or less the same information which is provided in the roadmap. The next release is planned for August without confirmation that anything happens in that area.

Especially in the area of a "single" tenant-mode I would have assumed, that extension are possible out-of-the-box by using the well known extension concepts which does not break AddOn component updates. Of course that comes with the additional price tag (as written above).

I would appreciate if SAP would give more detailed roadmaps (more details regarding the features and use cases) and would answer questions in detail. Without that level of detail asking questions here and in e.g. Webinars is some kind of "wasted" time.

In summary SAP makes it hard to make mid and long term decisions based on that information.