cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fiori Elements: calling external service before first OData call

Jan-WillemK
Active Participant

Hello colleagues,

I've created a Fiori Elements app using an (ECC) OData service. Now I want to add more functionality to my Fiori Elements page. For instance, I want to retrieve additional information of the user from Microsoft Azure (or Microsoft Entra), and then give this additional information as input for the OData service.

Retrieving the additional MS information requires calling an external (non OData) service. I would like to call this as soon as possible in the loading of the application. Furthermore, I would like to give some of this additional information (for instance, the organizational unit of the user) as additional input for the OData calls to the SAP backend.

Is this possible in SAP Fiori Elements? If so, how (and where) should I implement my extensions?

So in short:

1. Can I call an external service before any UI5 component is loaded?
  2. Can I adjust an OData call before it is send?

Thanks for any answer!

- Jan-Willem Kaagman

gregorw
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Is the user allowed to change that parameters that you want to retrieve from MS Entra ID? If not you should do it either in the ABAP Backend or build a CAP layer in between.

Jan-WillemK
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi gregor.wolf ,

Thank you for your answer. Unfortunately, a CAP layer is not possible. We are still on ECC and have no BTP anywhere in the landscape.

I was also thinking to solve it in the backend , but unfortunately, there is no SSO, or other means (yet) to go from an SAP user to an Entra user.

View Entire Topic
gregorw
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Also with SAP ERP you can consume MS Entra ID information using the Microsoft Graph. Check out ABAP SDK for Azure for some inspiration.

Jan-WillemK
Active Participant
0 Kudos

gregorw ; that is an excellent suggestion, it might be just what I needed. I know with what I am going to play tomorrow! Thanks!