cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Generic value help for ui5 app with odata

Former Member

Hello SAP community,

I am currently building a UI5 app with a very large form with many different fields. For most of the fields there are search helps in ABAP, which I now need to bring into the UI.
Normally I would create a separate entity for each value help set, define the corresponding fields and create annotations.
But since I have so many different fields, I don't want to pollute my OData service with so many search help entities. Is there a better way? E.g. a universal value help entity, which at best also works with smart controls?

Thanks for your ideas!

Janik

View Entire Topic
vvelinov
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert

Hi,

re-using entity type purely depends on the fields that you have in the form and what exactly should the value help show. If you want to see different data in the value helps then definitely you can't have same value help entity type re-used for different fields.

So regardless where the fields are located in one or many forms you'll need to define the value helps for them. So you could try from design perspective to rethink the application and how the user interacts with it. But without further details would be difficult to say.

cheers,

Vladimir

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vladimir,

It's a pity, but I had almost thought so myself, but there's no harm in asking. 🙂
Thanks for your input!

Best regards,

Janik

ennowulff
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

vladimir.velinov If the fields were provided dynamically, isn't it possible to also provide the needed search help dynamically?

vvelinov
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

enno.wulff not sure if I understand what you mean by dynamically provided fields. Could you give an example?

thanks and cheers,

Vladimir

ennowulff
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hey vladimir.velinov I wish, I could, as I am not good enough in UI5. jsct is my colleague and he built an application where you can customize fields, e.g. VBAK-VKORG. We read the attributes of that field (description, type, length) and "the service" passes this information to the UI5 app. This works well, but it seems not to be possible to pass "some searchhelp information" to the app so that we just provide the name of the search help and pass it to some "functionality" so that the user can select from this. In ABAP you can use function modules F4IF_FIELD_VALUE_REQUEST or F4IF_INT_TABLE_VALUE_REQUEST or F4IF_START_VALUE_REQUEST.

I do not believe that there is no similar functionality in UI5.

I hope, this was understandable?

Thanks
Enno