cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to use Auth2 with additional username and password?

Anand_B
Explorer
0 Kudos

My query is around SAP CI connecting to 3rd party system. For most of the cases we are using Oauth2 Credentials (below snip) but wants to how to handle when we have additional username and password, I am getting this for my couple of interactions.

What if we have more headers compare to what we have in Auth2

Now we are passing it as body which may get expose if we use trace.

Kindly suggest the best practice.

Thanks,

Anand

View Entire Topic
CarlosRoggan
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert

Hi, may I add a comment which might not be helpful?

I would suggest to not use password_credentials grant type. It is deprecated by oauth for obvious reasons and from my understanding it is supported by Identity Providers or Authorization Servers because ppl like to use if for prototyping or testing (hence only technical test user is required).
The background:
Either you don't need a user, then client-credentials is fine, or you have a user, then "authorization code" grant type should be the suitable way.

Another option could be to encrypt and encode the sensitive data, via script, before placing them in the header.
Does that help a bit?
Here a little guidance in this blog

wagnerda
Explorer
0 Kudos

One can find the (in the scenario same) answer by asking a question:

Does my scenario involve a user on the front-channel in a browser?

Yes: Go for authorization code grant; to be on the latest best current practice be sure to use PKCE in favor or using a client secret for authentication of the client at the authorization service

No, but it involves a user on an input constrained device?

Yes: Go for Device Authorization Grant; this grant is specifically designed for such an use-case.

No: Go for Client Credentials grant; you have a backend-to-backend scenario and no user is involved.