cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HXECheckUpdate_linux.bin --> Jar2Exe has expired

I finally managed to update my HANA Express installation to version 2.00.040.00.1553674765. Unfortunately when I execute now the bundled HXECheckUpdate.jar (in ~/bin - it was updated during the update), I get the:

hxeadm@hxehost:/usr/sap/HXE/home/bin> ./HXECheckUpdate_linux.bin 
This program is generated by unregistered Jar2Exe and it has expired to run for DEMO use.

I really can't imagine, why nobody else complains about this problem or how on earth a company like SAP deploys a binary file, created with a demo version that doesn't wok now anymore...

The same thing happens when executing the Download Manager in the same folder...

Developers, please fix this...

0 Kudos

I don't have an SAP S number and to be honest SAP Hana express is a pain in the *. It really is. I have never used anything that made so much trouble as Hana express. Documentation is bad. Openness with bugs is not existing. On installation they link to online documentattion that one can just access with a S-account. Update process is a pain... . XSA eats memory for breakfast and this error ist just the next great experience I have with it.

I definetly recommend my SEOs to go to alternative software than anything provided by SAP. I pray to god that there comes the day when I don't have to administrate a SAP machine anymore.

//Edit: and to be honest I can't understand why not a single SAP developer is answering here. I mean this bug obviously affects *every* SAP Hana express user that wants to use the *great* SAP update utility or download manager. And why? Because they use a trial version to deploy their software?! I really can't believe that you reported this 2 weeks ago an nothing happened yet. Damn this is why I exclusively use open source software.

That's at least a workaround, but the last thing I would like to do on a development *server* is messing around with the timestamps of my SAP core components. It's just a shame that they use a trial version to deliver binaries and are not able to fix the problem in a reasonable time.

I really tell everybody who asks me about my experience with SAP about this incident - this is a new climax.

Maybe they should hire better engineers.

georg_schukat
Explorer

did that today, seems there is no newer version of HXE available as of today:

sudo timedatectl set-time 2019-07-31

date
Mi 31. Jul 00:09:05 UTC 2019

HXECheckUpdate_linux.bin -a

Installed SAP HANA, express edition version : 2.00.040.00.20190729.1
Connecting to download server...
Your SAP HANA, express edition version is up to date.

did that while HXE was stopped. I do not want to turn the clock backwards while it is running. Essential timestamps might get out of order which might result in database chaos.

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

And this gets you right into the area of license breach for the Jar2Exe application that has been used.

For a more detailed commentary see https://github.com/SAPDocuments/Tutorials/issues/3831

TL;DR here is that SAP should not distribute executables under a demo license for software (HANA Express) that is explicitly supported for production use. And, of course, SAP customers should not use it past the license expiration date.

View Entire Topic
kjiang123
Employee
Employee

Developers are working on to fix it asap.

The issue only exists in Download Manager inside the VM/Binary.

The workaround for this issue :

1.)download the SAP Hana Express Download Manager from

https://www.sap.com/cmp/ft/crm-xu16-dat-hddedft/index.html

2.)use the Download Manager to download the new version SAP Hana Express/Optional components.

0 Kudos

Nice, that the issue exists "just" in the VM/Binary. Unfortunately you don't publish how many (thousand) users this are... but yes, at least no paying ones.

The workaround is nice for the Download Manager part at least. Unfortunately I mentioned the "HXECheckUpdate" tool in my initial post AND the Download Manager. At least I don't see how I can see version information in the Download Manager (no gui mode) without having to download a couple of hundreds MB.

And to be honest I really don't understand why nobody of your developers managed to just *repack* these two binaries with a non trial version of Jar2Exe.

I hope that we get at least feedback here or on the github bug tracker, when the problem is resolved.

georg_schukat
Explorer

Tried whether the normal download manager will download updates. So far not for HANA Express 2.0 SPS 04.

java -jar HXEDownloadManager.jar -d ./ztmp linuxx86_64 installer hxe.tgz 
Connecting to download server...

SAP HANA, express edition version: 2.00.040.00.20190729.1

so for HXE we still get the same version from the original SPS 04 release. Any news?