cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a recommended SAP Business ByDesign connection to DWC?

wounky
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello,

Is there a way of connecting SAP Business ByDesign to DWC? For example, can we connect directly to the underlying HANA DB or use the oData connection in DWC?

I know there is a dedicated connector for SAC: help.sap.com/SAC/...
But I cannot see anything from the level of DWC: help.sap.com/DWC/...
Nor from the open connectors: help.sap.com/OC/...

Thanks,
Sebastian

View Entire Topic
Andreas_Kramer
Explorer

Hi Sebastian,

we mostly use the already mentioned data source connector for your implementations.
Unfortunately, there is a strong limitation of performance and capabilities on SAP ByD side, hence it's quite hart to extract a larger amount of data in one request as well as handling some of the required filters (i.e. "specific date") via remote tables. Thus, I think it's still - but improvable - way to connect SAP DWC to SAP ByD.

However, since the data source API does not support already created KPIs within SAP ByD, you may also consider using the reporting APIs for some cases (like the SAC to SAP ByD connector is doing). While they are much slower in general, they might be a good fit, if only a selected part of the data shall be extracted and if there is already plenty of business/ reporting logic being implemented within SAP ByD.

Some more tips to improve this connectibity:
a) Consider creating your own data sources to reduce required data
b) Consider using DWC data flows in case of specific filter options

wounky
Participant
0 Kudos

Thank you, Andreas. Very valuable tips. Could you please tell me what authentication method do you use to consume the OData of byDesign Reports instead of the Data Sources? Are you using the

https://<your system information>.sapbydesign.com/sap/byd/odata/<shortened name of work center>_analytics.svc/RP<report ID>QueryResults

for data extraction as explained in OData API for Reports?