cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Launchpad Module also with Launchpad Service?

gregorw
Active Contributor

Hello SAP Launchpad Module Team,

as you should now, the Launchpad Module is currently the only option to provide the Launchpad functionality in a Multitenancy app for the SAP BTP Cloud Foundry Environment (please support this influencing request to change that: Support for Multitenany in the Fiori Launchpad). According to the documentation for Developing a Launchpad Module the Prerequisites require the "SAP Cloud Portal Service". But as the Portal Service is not available in the BTP Trial nor in the BTP Free Tier, it's not possible to give that simply a try. I would ask for:

• that either the Launchpad Service should also be a supported subscription for the Launchpad Module
  • or that the Portal Service is included in the BTP Trial and in the BTP Free Tier

Best Regards
Gregor

former_member194549
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Gregor

I may be misunderstanding your question, but we are currently working with a Launchpad Module and the Launchpad Service.
Using a Launchpad module, the SaaS app appears as a content provider in the Launchpad service of a subscribed tenant. The apps can be included and started in a Launchpad. Everything works exactly as it did with the Portal Service.

Regards
Simon

gregorw
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Simon,

do you run the apps via the approuter that serves the Launchpad Module from the provider account or have you included the apps in the Launchpad Service that you've instanciated in the subscriber subaccount?

Best Regards
Gregor

CCSCS
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi sperstorfer,

I guess you followed this instructions: Expose Your App as a Content Provider

I have implemented the configuration described there in our mta.yaml and xs-security.json. Unfortunately, I get an error when I try to set up the application in the Cloud Portal Service as a content provider in the subscriber subaccount. This step is missing in the description and I am not sure if this is how it is supposed to be done. Can you describe your way in more detail?

Thank you very much and best regards,

Christian.

former_member194549
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi centricspaeh

yes, this is the documentation we followed.
1. setup the app for multi tenant capability as described in various tutorials / documentation. You can have the two endpoints (onSubscription & getDependencies) point to the AppRouter, as it has built-in middleware to handle these requests, you don't need to implement anything yourself.
2. creation of Launchpad module (example CommonDataModel.json)
3. execute subscription, SaaS solution appears under Content Provider in Portal / Launchpad Service Website Manager
4. integrate apps into a Launchpad via Website Manager

mta.yaml (not complete)

modules:
- name: app-router
type: approuter.nodejs
path: <path-to-app-router>
properties:
TENANT_HOST_PATTERN: ^(.*)-${space}-app-router.${default-domain}
requires:
- name: portal-resources
- name: html5-repo-runtime
- name: uaa
- name: saas-registry
- name: launchpad
type: com.sap.application.content
path: <path-to-launchpad-module>
parameters:
config:
TENANT_HOST_PATTERN: ^(.*)-${space}-app-router.${default-domain}
requires:
parameters:
content-target: true
service-key:
name: launchpad-deploy-key
config:
content-endpoint: developer
- name: html5-repo-host
- name: ui-deployer

resources:
parameters:
path: ./xs-security.json
service-plan: application
service: xsuaa
type: org.cloudfoundry.managed-service

- name: html5-repo-runtime
parameters:
service-plan: app-runtime
service: html5-apps-repo

- name: html5-repo-host
parameters:
service-plan: app-host
service: html5-apps-repo

parameters:
service-plan: standard
service: portal

parameters:
service-plan: application
service: saas-registry

Hi gregorw,

the apps can be launched via the AppRouter as well as integrated into a Launchpad of the Launchpad Service. The SaaS solution appears as a content provider in the Website Manager of the Launchpad service and can be integrated into launchpads there. It all works the same way as it did with the Portal Service.

Regards
Simon

gregorw
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Simon,

thank you for this great insight. If I would have a CAP applicaiton where the onSubscription & getDependencies endpoints what dependencies should be returned to get this working?

CU
Gregor

former_member194549
Contributor

Hi gregorw,

the getDependencies endpoint returns the following data:

The following Services instances (Service Name - Plan) are bount to the AppRouter:
html5-apps-repo - lite
portal - standard
saas-registry - application
theming - standard
xsuaa - application

Regards
Simon

ancutamezi
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Simon,

Based on your last answer you are binding the portal service to your multitenant app in the provider subaccount. Is my understanding correct?

I thought you are creating the Launchpad Module and then on the consumer side the customer will subscribe to the SaaS app and it will appear in his content provider for his SAP Build Work Zone (ex Launchpad Service).

Could you please explain this again?

Many thanks,
Ancuta

jreimann
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi ancuta.mezinca1,

I'm in the same team as Simon, so let me explain, what we are doing.

The portal service is bound to our application in the provider subaccount. The consumer subaccount subscribed our application and all apps appear in the content manager of the SAP Build Work Zone service.

Currently we are migrating from a subscibtion based global account to a PAYG global account. We are using the same "architecture" of our application, but in the PAYG global account we cannot deploy our applications, because there is no entitlement possible for the Portal service referenced in our mta.yaml file. We get this error:

"Service operation failed: Controller operation failed: 404 Updating service "launchpad-resources" failed: Not Found: Error creating service "launchpad-resources" from offering "portal" and plan "standard": Service plan standard not found."

When we remove the "portal service" resource from our mta.yaml file the deployment is successful BUT we cannot select the apps in the website manager of the Build Work Zone service, because the application is not visible in the content explorer.

Is there a guide on how to expose our app is a content provider to the SAP Build Work Zone service in the consumers subaccount in the PAYG global account? Provider and consumer subaccount are in the same PAYG global account.

Kind regards,
Johannes

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

SibylleBrehm
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Gregor,

I am aware that this is an important functionality. Currently, it is not visible in the Roadmap Explorer, as we do not have a concrete quarter planned when it will be available. The entry you found is not announcing multitenancy for Launchpad service. Sorry about that.

Regards,
Sibylle

gregorw
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Sibylle,

would it be at least possible to enable also SAP Build Partners to subcribe to the Launchpad Service (and pay for it) to be able to develop Multitenant apps end-to-end?

Best Regards
Gregor

gregorw
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Sibylle,

any updates on this topic?

Best Regards
Gregor

christoffer_fuss
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi sibylle.brehm,

we also have a high need for this functionality. can you give us some hope?

Bst regards,

Chris

sreehari_vpillai
Active Contributor

sibylle.brehm Any update / hope on this ? I see that this thread started a year back

gregorw
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello sibylle.brehm, Hello aviad.rivlin,

would be great to get an update on this topic. Another 3 month are gone by.

CU
Gregor

ancutamezi
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Any updates here?

Thank you

SibylleBrehm
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Gregor,

we are aware that the lack of an alternative offering for the Launchpad Module in the Launchpad service is a problem, since the Cloud Portal service has become unavailable on trial and on the price list. Unfortunately, we cannot offer one of the solutions that you propose. Instead we plan to have an alternative offering for the Launchpad Module in the future.

Regards,

Sibylle

gregorw
Active Contributor

Hi Sibylle,

thank you for your response. It's very unfortunate that an existing service became unavailable or in the case of the Free Tier for Partners can't even be activated if you want to pay for it. What will be the alternative offering? In the roadmap I can't find a Multitenant Launchpad when searching for multitenancy. When searching for multitenant I find "Conversion of a single-tenant UI app to a multitenant UI app" planned for Q3/2022. Is that the planned alternative?

Best Regards
Gregor