Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OData Provisioning for external API management

umang6287
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Experts -

Our organization has achieved maturity in managing external APIs, but we have not utilized the API management capabilities on BTP (Business Technology Platform) due to late discovery and the presence of numerous non-SAP applications. As we are preparing to go live with S/4HANA soon and have also made progress in our BTP implementation, we are considering a cloud-first approach for exposing OData services from S/4HANA or SAAS products. We want to explore the option of registering these services as APIs using BTP's OData provisioning without activating the API management service to avoid additional costs. Can you please provide documentation or details on how to enable this alternative approach?

View Entire Topic
Willem_Pardaens
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert

The OData Provisioning service is only relevant to ECC, not S/4HANA. The S/4HANA APIs are already OData enabled.

API Management is a capability of the SAP Integration Suite, so it doesn't require an additional license if you have SAP Integration Suite.

umang6287
Participant
0 Kudos

Thank you for your reply.

I understand that there would be no additional cost to enable an API management service but my assumption is there would still be a running cost per message in a month/year, etc which I am not able to find clearly in the discovery center, could you please share if you have more details?

Willem_Pardaens
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Umang,

Yes, that is correct. Even though the capability is included in the suite license, there is a minimal (consumption based) charge for messages that pass through the tenant. The suite license comes with a set of messages, and optional additional messages can be requested. You can find the relevant pricing under the section 'Messages' here: https://discovery-center.cloud.sap/serviceCatalog/integration-suite?region=all&tab=service_plan

For specific pricing for your scenario, I suggest to reach out to your local SAP account team.

umang6287
Participant
0 Kudos

Thank you but is it for the OData provisioning service?

karthikarjun
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Great job, Willem!

If I understand correctly, in the basic edition of the Integration Suite, there are no free API management features, correct?

Willem_Pardaens
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Karthik,

Yes, that is correct. The Basic edition is purely for tactical process integration scenarios. See a full comparison here: https://www.sapstore.com/medias/CPIS-Editions-comparison.pdf?context=bWFzdGVyfHJlc291cmNlc3wzODEyM3x...