cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible to have both: Value Help and Drop-down?

leonikussmaul
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

For my use case, I would like to show both a drop-down and a value help inside a control such as sap.m.Input. The value help would open a dialog with a table and a more comprehensive overview, while the dropdown would show a simplified overview.

I am able to make both work, although not at the same time. Of course I can add the suggest event handler to the control which would give suggestions once the user starts typing, but for a better UX we would ideally prefer to have a dropdown option before the user types as they might not know what to look for in the first place.

Please let me know if having both next to each other can be achieved or also any alternative controls that could be more suitable.

Thank you.

View Entire Topic
vvelinov
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert

Hi leonikussmaulleonikussmaul ,

this is really a bit strange decision to use both. In general drop-down(using sap.m.Select or sap.m.Combobox) are meant to be used when you have limited data set to choose from. See the guidelines. While the Value help dialog is the 'heavy artillery' with possibility to have complex queries that assist the user to find the desired value.
I have no idea of you application, but for most of the standard use cases SmartField is used that can show suggestions, when user starts typing and at the same time the user can open the value help dialog. See this sample.
As side note, The value help concept has several ways to assist user in finding the wanted value.
First we have autocompletion in the input, then we have suggestions, and eventually value help dialog.

cheers,

Vladimir