cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S/4Hana and Fiori - How to (de)activate buttons based on user permissions

werner_daehn
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

The point I do not get is how the user permissions and the buttons/links of UI applications work together from technical point of view.

Imagine the following situation: The Sales Order screen shows data and the UI has an Edit button to modify the sales order. While User1 is allowed to edit the order, User2 is not. Obviously for User1 the edit button should be available whereas User2 it should be deactivated.

Otherwise both could click on the Edit button and might get a not-allowed error after. That would not be a good UI design. So I wonder what the underlying mechanism is. The UI would need to query the backend if the user has Edit permissions and it would need to know that the Edit button links to a functionality that requires those permissions. You do not want to keep the permission information in two places, one protecting the functionality and another telling what buttons should be active.

This obviously impacts functionality within a a single view, navigation to different views (routing) within an application and cross application navigation.

Similar question for the Launchpad. There you want to see the tiles you have permissions for only. How does that work under the covers? Any pointers anybody?

Thanks in advance!

View Entire Topic
jurjen_heeck
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Those are a lot of questions in one post 😉
I think this blog: SAP S/4HANA Authorizations will get you started.If you have access to SAP Learning Hub you can also study the contents of course ADM 945.