cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP Content Server 7.53 - usage scenario & benefits?

Hi,

I just wanted to ask in which scenario it is useful to use the new SAP Content Server 7.53?

I know that SAP Content Server is for free and it isn´t an optical archive system like a cost-based DMS, but what´s the business benefit of using SAP Content server? In my opinion storing files on a filesystem or a MaxDB only make sense when the customer has less amount of files to store. SAP managed security is also a positive benefit of the Content Server.
But the detailed question is:
Does anybody know a usage scenario where it makes sense for the customer to use SAP Content Server instead of buying an archiving software like OpenText or something else? What are the (real) quick wins?

Thanks & Regards,
Manuel

View Entire Topic
diego_santos
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Manuel,

Please read this blog from Tobias.
https://blogs.sap.com/2020/07/22/general-availability-of-sap-content-server-and-cache-server-7.53/

Basically you don't have to worry about IIS or Apache anymore. This is a single solution from SAP and there are no 3rd party software involved anymore.

Regards,
Diego

Hi Diego,

thanks for your fast reply in this case!
I´ve already read this blog post from Tobias, but it´s basically a general blog what´s new with the new version 7.53 and what are the pros & cons etc.

My question was more about:
Why would it be good to use or to set up a SAP Content server?

Example: I will use ITSM tool in SAP Solman and wanted to store all documents, screenshots etc. from the tickets not in the HANA DB of the SolMan. Would it be possible to connect the SAP Content Server to SAP SolMan and store this documents in Content server to save space in HANA DB of SolMan?

Thanks & Regards,
Manuel

diego_santos
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Manuel,

I'm not particular familiar with SolMan scenario, but if it uses a Category from OACT transaction it can integrate with a SAP CS 753. Same as in the previous version SAP CS 650.

From SolMan I only know SOLAR Category. This is usually migrated and integrated with SAP CS.

As for the product itself, the pros & cons etc.

PROS:

• SAP CS 750 is the new version, so there's full support to it;
  • Fast development with patches every week, as they come;
  • No integration with 3rd party software for webservice;
  • This will replace the old version in the future;

CONS:

• It is a new product, so new development and fixes will come with customer use;

Hope this helps in your decision.

Regards,
Diego