cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP Mobile Start (Android) - No Apps Yet

RP
Explorer

Hi Team,

I have built a custom application with scanning functionality using SAP Build Apps and deployed to Cloud Foundry. Then using the HTML5 application URL, configured a new App in SAP Build Workzone Std. Edition. The app works fine when launched through Build Workzone.

I then downloaded SAP Mobile Start on my phone and register using the QR Code from SAP Build Workzone. When I open Mobile Start, I dont see the custom app instead I get a message 'No Apps Yet. Once your administrator assigns apps to you, you'll see them here'.

Not sure what I am missing here as the app works fine in SAP Build Workzone. Any pointers will be really helpful as we have a customer Demo next week.

Thanks.

Pramod Ramamurthy

View Entire Topic
thomas-bruckner
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert

Hi Pramod,

there are multiple aspects I would like to point out:

1. If the "SAP Build Apps" application is built for web and deployed to the HTML5 Repository on SAP BTP, it can be automatically synced in order to appear in SAP Build Work Zone, standard edition. You can navigate in Site Manager to the Content Channels, select the HTML5 Repository, sync. By this the app appears in the Content Manager.

2. In order for an app to appear in SAP Mobile Start ("Apps" tab), it needs to be assigned to a role in SAP Build Work Zone, standard edition that the user has, the role needs to be added to the Site of which you are using the QR Code and the apps needs to be for example added to a Group (in order to visually appear on the Site).

There is one Tutorial in a SAP Discovery Center Mission that shows this ("Integrate the Application with SAP Build Work Zone, standard edition"). This one should guide you to the required steps. Just keep in mind that the tutorial uses the "Everyone" role, which is automatically assigned to all users & sites. For SAP Mobile Start the app needs to be flagged as supported on "phone" or "tablet" (depending on which device type you are using SAP Mobile Start).

For sure you are not required to go the route via the Content Channel sync. Alternatively you can manually create the App in SAP Build Work Zone, standard edition, which just requires more manual steps.

For SAP Mobile Start specifics, you can also check out the SAP Help documentation for the app, which explains a lot of aspects or links to the relevant related product documentation pages.

Hope this helps.

Thomas

RP
Explorer
0 Kudos

Thanks Thomas for your response. I have exactly followed the same steps in Build Workzone:

1. Used the content manager to add the app from HTML5 apps which is deployed to Cloud Foundry in Build Workzone.
  2. I have added a new space, page, role in Build Workzone and linked to the new app.
  3. I have then added the role in BTP subaccount for my User so that the app is visible when I open Build Workzone
  4. The app is visible and works as expected in Build Workzone
  5. Now I install the SAP Mobile Start with the QR code from SAP Build Workzone and login with the custom IAS tenant credentials and now unfortunately I do not see the app

Could this be an issue related to the identity? Default v/s custom IAS?

thomas-bruckner
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert

Hi Pramod,

No, the Identity Provider is not related here, as long as the role is assigned correctly to the logged in user (in SAP Mobile Start).

Please try to add the app to a Group instead of (or in addition to) a Space & Page in the SAP Build Work Zone, standard edition Site Manager. The API that SAP Mobile Start is currently using unfortunately does not support the "Spaces & Pages of the New Experience" as of today. This is documented here.

Best,

Thomas

RP
Explorer
0 Kudos

Thanks a lot Thomas. Changing to Groups instead of the new Spaces and Page worked fine and I can see the app now in SAP Mobile Start application. The next problem I have is its a barcode scanning application which is supposed to open the Camera on a button click. The scanning functionality works fine when I use the SAP Build Apps preview on my phone, but camera does not open up when I use SAP Mobile Start. Any pointers on this?

thomas-bruckner
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert

Hi Pramod,

first of all, I am very happy that it worked out. Kindly mark the answer as accepted to officially close your question here in the Community.

For your other question, the general guidance in the SAP Community is to not discuss (too many) other topics in one question's comments. Still I can give some pointers here. I assume you mean with "not open up when I use SAP Mobile Start", that you built the "SAP Build Apps" app still as web application (HTML5 repository). Therefore SAP Mobile Start opens a web application in the embedded browser. I can see that the question with regards to the Camera / Scanning functionality of SAP Build Apps not working on Web and only on native builds was already discussed on the community. Kindly refer to the existing answers or reach out to the SAP Build Apps colleagues separately:

An alternative might be building the "SAP Build Apps" app as native app. Please be aware that the integration of native app differs from the one via HTML5 Repository and comes with its own pros & cons. You can check whether this may be an alternative for you.