Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SUM: Any reason not to run ABAP + Java in parallel

Gavin_G
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi

This is a somewhat generic question to which the answer may be obvious to some.

I'm doing an SPS upgrade on a Solution Manager 7.2 system where the ABAP and Java instances are on the same server. Is there any reason not to start SUM for both at the same time. They have differnt URLs in the hostagent.

I wouldn't do the downtime at the same time I'd just like to get both the uptime portions completed in advance of the scheduled downtime. When you take the backup of the database SUM folders into consideration 1 can save quite a bit of time by doing so.

I've just seen this response to a completly different question. The commenter is saying that he/she did the updates in parallel.

https://answers.sap.com/comments/320179/view.html

Thanks in advance for sharing your views and experience.

Gavin

View Entire Topic
RolandKramer
Active Contributor

Hello gavin_goldsmith

the only Risk to start the ABAP/Java in parallel is the fact, that during the ABAP upgrade the UME connection between ABAP and Java is not available and this could lead to unwanted inconsistencies.

See also the Online Document - SAP MacGyver – Installing SAP SolMan 7.2

best regards Roland

Gavin_G
Explorer
0 Kudos

Thanks roland.kramer. I'll remember that.

Starting them in parallel and getting both ABAP and Java to the end of uptime saved me time. I did however 1st do the ABAP downtime and only then the Java downtime. In total the 2 make for a fair bit of downtime but havin the Java ready (including the backup of the SUM folder saved a chunk of time nevertheless)

Gavin