cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The revised changes in the public version don’t get reflected when planned data is not published

Krishna_Prasad
Explorer

Issues with Private Version –When a private version of Public version exists, the revised changes in the public version don’t get reflected until the planner reverts his private version. If he Publishes the Private version then the existing revised data gets overwritten. This is a catch 22 situation. How will the planner know whether there are any revised changes in the Public Version. Is it possible for a planner to compare the data of the Public version and Private Version of Public.

Public Version - Version that is visible to all

Private Public Version - Public version with changes that is not yet published

dskiendziel
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Krishna,

I believe this is the intended behavior as the Private version is generated from a point-in-time snapshot of the Public version. Generally, the last data entry wins, so my assumption is that if there is data entry in the Private version that has a earlier timestamp than what was in the Public version when the two are merged via making the Private version Public. With that, the Public version will "win" and its data will be presented. I tell users to publish often for a couple reasons, this is one of them. The other being that if they want to "undo" their data entry or data action results, the less they have to undo the better as they may have to redo some entry they already made (although they could go to their history as well and undo to a specific state.)

Publishing often will take care of most issues in your scenario,

Krishna_Prasad
Explorer
0 Kudos

In a realistic scenario, it is a big challenge when working with a huge number of planners, especially in the Bottom-up approach. Planners tend to miss or delay the publishing of data and unless the data is published, it won't appear in the public version for other planners to view. Sometimes planners may plan/modify on each other's set without knowing that the other is working it. They realize it only when their figures/data are overwritten by the publishing activity of other planners.

In BW Embedded BPC, planners get to know if their planning set is locked by another planner. This is the behavior the planners expect.

The concept of the Private version is clear and users/planners could understand how and when to use a Private version, it is also possible for the planner to compare the Public version with a Private version.

But when a Public-Private version is created,

* The planner can no way compare his Public-Private version with the corresponding Public version.

* Always has to ensure that he/she is the only one planning the corresponding planning set in his team.

* It is not possible to share the Public-Private version for another planner to contribute or review.

* As of now planner is prompted to publish only when Story is getting closed.

* if SAC is accessed in a web browser and users tend to close the whole browser or due to timeout the session would get closed and the planner wouldn't have noticed that Publish of data was not done.

This will lead to operational challenges.

dskiendziel
Participant
0 Kudos

Your scenario appears to be a heavily matrixed organization where areas of responsibility cross boundaries. However, I would question that even the BPC scenario the planners need to communicate in some fashion to know what data is correct. In your example, would not the second planner who is waiting for the data region to be freed up for editing then simply overwrite the first planner's data? You end up with the same result as your original question. A different path to get there, but the same result.

I know organizations that will step their planning process to one 'slice' of the ownership matrix to perform their planning process, then close that process and open up for the next slice of the ownership matrix. This is normally controlled through security roles related to the different versions. The point is, someone has a final say in what appears in the data point/data region, so some hierarchical order should be placed on the process.

View Entire Topic
Jay_Gandhi
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Krishna,

The Planner creating the Private Version itself can always view the difference between this and the Public Version (can easily create a report with their Private Version and Public Version) side by side.

For other users the initial Planner can "share" the Version and they then can also go thru the above steps to view the difference between this and the Public Version.

Jay

Krishna_Prasad
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Jay,

I am referring to the public-private version ( modified version of Public version) . I could not find any possibility to compare like you said.

- Krishna

Jay_Gandhi
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

You would first have to make it into am explicit private version.

The other alternative is using the Version History panel to revert changes one step at a time to see the impact of your changes in the Public version that way, but this requires additional user workflow steps.

Jay