cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restore of HANA via AWS backint not showing any progress

Hi All,

We have configured HANA Database System to have log backup and full backup on Amazon S3 bucket via AWS backint agent. Backups are happening successfully at the S3 bucket via AWS backint agent.

But when we are attempting to restore the Database via backup of S3 bucket via Backint, it is not happening. It does not show any progress in the HANA studio session, nor does it show any updates in the log file after a short time.

We are unable to find out the cause of the issue.

Request to kindly help us with this issue.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

HakanHaslaman
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert

Now your incident handling continues again. You already got feedback from the PS team.

0 Kudos

Thank you

azharuddin
Explorer

Hi Vaish,

Please check in YAML configuration file location in the /<installation directory>/aws-backint-agent/ aws-backint-agent-config.yaml. This directory will have all the AWS Backint Agent configuration parameters.

Particularly please check for configuration parameter - MaximumConcurrentFilesForRestore
This parameter used to define the number of files that can be downloaded in parallel from S3 during the restore. Options allowed: 1 to 32. Please set this value to DEFAULT in YAML file as shown below and try restore again:
MaximumConcurrentFilesForRestore: 5

~Azhar

0 Kudos

Hi Azhar,

I tried your suggestion, but still restore does not show any progress.

HakanHaslaman
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert

I would recommend for further investigation, that you collect some debug trace and runtime dump files.

1. enable the debug trace and increase trace file size and number:
alter system alter configuration ('global.ini','SYSTEM') SET ('trace','multistream')='debug',('trace','backup')='debug' with reconfigure;
alter system alter configuration ('global.ini','SYSTEM') set ('trace','maxfiles') = '100' with reconfigure;
alter system alter configuration ('global.ini','SYSTEM') set ('trace','maxfilesize') = '100000000' with reconfigure;

2. try to reproduce this recovery hanging issue

3. during hanging, please collect 3 runtime dumps with 5 minutes interval as per Note 1813020 - How to generate a runtime dump on SAP HANA.

4. restore the trace:
alter system alter configuration ('global.ini','SYSTEM') unset ('trace','multistream'),('trace','backup') with reconfigure;
alter system alter configuration ('global.ini','SYSTEM') unset ('trace','maxfiles') with reconfigure;
alter system alter configuration ('global.ini','SYSTEM') unset ('trace','maxfilesize') with reconfigure;

5. generate full system dump as per Note 1732157

6. if you are familiar with the analyzing, please check the Runtime Dumps + Full System Dump for issues or create an incident to HAN-DB-BAC and send this traces to the product support to assist.

0 Kudos

Hi Hakan,

I collected these traces and provided to SAP support, but have not heard from them from a long time, hence reaching out to SAP community.

HakanHaslaman
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Thanks for the ID. It looks, that the incident is currently not proceeding for some reason.
I will check this internal.

HakanHaslaman
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Please give me the incident ID, so I can check the status of this issue.

0 Kudos

654374/2021 This is the incident number.