cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP BW Java Stack on Hana

floK
Participant

Hello

What's the process to migrate a splitted MCOD BW Instance (java stack) to SAP Hana. I see lot of threads with similar questions. Can someone answer this? No sidecar solution please ;-). We want to replace the running "AnyDB"

There are no DMO/SUM process for such things. Yes, a lot of logic allready integrated in BW7.40 in the abap stack, but we're using Java Stack also for BI Portal, Web BEX,  Xcelsius ...

Thanks for any hints.

Kr,

Florian

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

RolandKramer
Active Contributor

Hi,

with 7.40 used on HANA, you have all option available as you would use a traditional DB

For Expample you can use the MCOD (multiple components, one database) to instal BI-JAVA 7.40 along with the ABAP instance even on the HANA appliance.

See - New Installation of  SAP BI JAVA 7.30 - Options, Connectivity and Security

which also works for 7.40.

Screenshot taken from Presentation - TechEd 2014 Las Vegas/Berlin - ITM206

Best Regards Roland

floK
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Roland

Very useful Information, thanks a lot!. I hope that we can start soon our HANA POC. We're trying to get into the PowerVM Rampup for HANA.

As always, you're the best. I think 6 years ago your documentation about new NW BW 7.0 Installation guide was a dream!

Best Regards from Zurich,

Florian

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ronald,

What about an option to use MDC (Multi tenant Data Container) and have ECC+BI installed as separate tenant using the fact of "embedded BI"?

Cheers,

Andre

Former Member
0 Kudos

I mean "embedded BW"...

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

RolandKramer
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Florian

Try to avoid MTC with HAANA and use MCOD instead.

In most of the cases a new Install of the BI-JAVA is easier than Export/Import/Upgrade.

See the following Document for Details -

The Informations didn´t changed for 7.40/7.50 for the Implementation. for more Informations see the SCN Page

SAP BW Application Lifecycle Management (ALM)

Best Regards Roland

floK
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Roland

Thanks for the update. We've upgraded our productive BI (Abap&J2EE) to HANA (750 SP2, MCOD). I've made some scripts which changed all config xml files in j2ee :-)...., because I've also changed the 2 AS to the SAP HANA system :-).

The BW System is running very stable on HANA. Because the HW requirement is very restrictive (Power on Linux), the CPU utilisation is lower then 10% ;-).....

Best Regards

Florian

tina_bulle
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Dear Roland,

I just had a workshop with SAP regarding Migration of BW on HANA. You say you should avoid MDC with HANA and use MCOD. We just got the opposite information, that MDC should be the preferred variant. Which one is correct and why?

Thanking you and kind regards

Tina

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Florian,

we are in the same situation.

We have done the Upgrade ABAP BI NW 7.4 SPS05 to SPS09 and Migration to HANA as in-place using DMO of SUM.

Now, we also would like to upgrade and migrate already splitted MCOD JAVA Stack to SAP HANA. It seems like, DMO of SUM is just for ABAP.

Maybe upgrading Java stack with SUM followed by Migration as system copy with SWPM?

Any hints?

Thanks,

Gerd

http://scn.sap.com/docs/DOC-59795

Does BI JAVA run on HANA or do I need a separate database to be used for the NetWeaver JAVA stack for BI JAVA?

Since SAP NetWeaver 7.4 SP04 BI JAVA for BW can run on HANA. Please check note 1849151 and 1666670 for more information.

http://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/1849151

http://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/1666670

floK
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Gerd

At the moment we didn't started the migration. I hope our first POC will begin this year :-). As you suggest upgrading Java stack with SUM followed by Migration as system copy with SWPM would be a way.

Our consultant propose us to install a fresh J2EE BI Java Stack and bind it to the new BI Hana Abap. If this work it would save a lot of time. With the support of the NWA template Installer the post steps should go fast.

When our POC start I try to install everything on one HANA Server. At the moment Im not sure to use the new [M]ultitenant [D]atabase [C]ontainers feature or just different DB schemas.

I wish you goodluck. Please let me know how you've done it ...

Kr,

Florian

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Florian,

as already proposed by your consultant, we performed the upgrade of BI JAVA with SUM followed by the migration to HANA as MCOD with SWPM (as new installation of BI Java by choosing the system copy path) as follows:

Simply upgrade your BI JAVA on Oracle as usual with SUM.

Perform a JAVA Schema Export with SWPM (SAP NetWeaver 7.4. SR2 - Oracle - System Copy - Source System - Based on AS JAVA - Database Instance Export)

Before you uninstall/delete your J2EE Instance, however it's a good idea to back up the J2EE environment - you never know:)

The uninstall option in SWPM of BI JAVA doesn't work, since it does not recognize any instance numbers, so I have deleted SCS/J environment based on file system. Don't forget to delete also J2ee's profiles in home directory.

Perform a New-Installation of SCS/J with SWPM (SAP NetWeaver 7.4 SR2 - SAP HANA Database - System Copy - Target System - Distributed System - Based on AS Java -

- SYS Instance

- Database instance (Attention MCOD: be ensured that you do NOT perform an "Initial Database or Database Tenant"). Migration Export (JMIG): <your export directory>

- Primary Application Server Instance (also be ensured here: do not choose "initial database")

- Postprocessing (hdbuserstore, setenv, rsecssfx, etc.)

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask!

good luck!

Kr,

Gerd

floK
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Gerd

Thanks a lot for your update. Wish you a nice weekend.

Kr,

Florian

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Gerd,

I've just installed a sap portl distributed on Hana. The SAPJAVA1 remains in the BW tenant and the SCS,PAS resides in a windows server.

The system works and is accessible correctly.

Could you detail more the steps of postprocessing (hdbuserstore,rsecssfx...)

I think that in my case is not necessary but I need to know with more detail this steps.

Regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ruben,

just execute as <SID>adm on Java (windows server):

hdbuserstore SET DEFAULT <HANA_hostname>:<HANA_port> <SAP_ABAP_Schema> <password_of_SAP_ABAP_Schema>

If your HANA has the ID 00 the HANA Port should be 30015

after that a <SID_adm_home>/.hdb/<hostname>/SSFS_HDB.DAT will be created with the connection informations

Please also refer

Secure User Store (hdbuserstore) - SAP HANA Security Guide - SAP Library

In addition I did also the following:

setenv dbs_hdb_dbhost <HANA_hostname>
setenv dbs_hdb_port <HANA_Port>
setenv dbms_type hdb
rsecssfx put DB_CONNECT/DEFAULT_DB_USER <HANA_ABAP_Schema> -plain
rsecssfx put DB_CONNECT/DEFAULT_DB_PASSWORD <password_of_ABAP_Schema>
rsecssfx put DB_CONNECT/DEFAULT_DB_CON_ENV <HANA_hostname>:<HANA_Port>

edit .sapenv.sh as follow:

dbs_hdb_dbhost=<HANA_hostname>; export dbs_hdb_dbhost
dbs_hdb_port=<HANA_Port>; export dbs_hdb_port
dbms_type=HDB; export dbms_type

edit .sapenv.csh as follow:
setenv dbs_hdb_dbhost <HANA_hostname>
setenv dbs_hdb_port <HANA_Port>
setenv dbms_type HDB

Check if R3trans is woring:

R3trans –x
This is R3trans version 6.24 (release 742 - 18.11.14 - 20:14:09).
unicode enabled version
R3trans finished (0000).

R3trans –d
This is R3trans version 6.24 (release 742 - 18.11.14 - 20:14:09).
unicode enabled version
R3trans finished (0000).

Best Regards,

Gerd