Welcome Corner Blog Posts
Go a little bit deeper into the Welcome Corner with blog posts. Learn how to get started in SAP Community and get tips on maximizing your participation.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jason_Cao
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
If you have a chance to ask a recruiter any question (outside of a job-hiring process), what would it be?

• Do you even look at LinkedIn profiles, or can I just rely on a resume?

• How long should my resume be?

• Do you hire the right person, or right talent?

• Am I allowed to ask a recruiter for feedback if I'm not selected for a position?

• Are 'blinged' up resumes with images and graphics effective?

• Would you ever ask me "If I were an animal, which animal would I be?"

We had that unique opportunity in today's SAP Community Call to ask these questions (and more), to two of SAP's Senior Technical Recruiters, Andrea Penney and Maxx Snow.

In this call, we learned how SAP's recruiters (and I'm sure many recruiters in other industries) use social media as a job-sharing and talent-finding channels. Andrea also gave us a glimpse of how SAP uses branding to position itself as an employer-of-choice, while talking about critical skills and competencies that matter to SAP. Maxx dove deeper into the 'soft skills' that make candidates stand out:

• Empathy

• Communications

• Accountability

• Time Management

• Curiosity

Based on answers candidates provide to his questions about these skills, he can gauge whether they can be successful in the hiring teams. Possessing these skills isn't dependent on an individual's personality (whether introvert or extrovert), but by their self-awareness and willingness to develop and improve on these skills.

So, can you ask a recruiter why you weren't hired? The answer may surprise you (you'll probably see my surprise in my facial expression). Andrea says certainly! She is willing to give candidates feedback on what to improve. The key is establishing a good relationship with recruiters and framing your questions properly. She and Maxx also have additional helpful tips on how job increase your chances of getting an interview, and ultimately getting hired.

Missed the call? Here's the full replay.

Feel free to also download the presentation slides, as well as a LinkedIn template that Andrea provided. Be sure to also view upcoming and past SAP Community Calls for 2018.

See also the related blog post: SAP Community Call: Our Biggest Skills Gap