Welcome Corner Discussions
Join the Welcome Corner discussion, where newcomers and community veterans are encouraged to introduce themselves, learn about others, and build their networks.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you remember the first time you heard of SAP

Ruthvik
Active Contributor

Hello Coffee Corner folks,

when was the first time you heard about or saw SAP, can you recall those early carrier days of yours? 

By Today I completed my 10 Years journey in the SAP World 

#SAPCarrier #SAPLife

Thanks & Regards
Ruthvik Chowdary
253 REPLIES 253

@GManousaridis 
"Break on through to the ABAP side" 😃 - thanks for making me smile George!!
Great to have you here in our SAP Community Groups!!

----- Check out the SAP Community events today! Don't miss out on new insights. -----

Graduated in Geology in Paris, I followed an intensive course in Milan in 1999 to become an ABAP developer under the recommendation of my brother who told me that SAP was great, integration at Origin, a subsidiary of Philipps, first project in 3.0F. Since then it hasn't stopped...

Thanks so much for sharing @former_member150573 !!

----- Check out the SAP Community events today! Don't miss out on new insights. -----

Shahrezadm01
Explorer

I started my SAP Career in 1993 - SAP Version 1.0 

Thanks for sharing @Former Member - wow that's 30 years ago. Great to have you here in SAP Community. I'm working in SAP for almost 17 years, now part of the community team!

Michael6
Explorer

In 1989, when I did my first SAP Course - SAP R/2 ABAP programming.

Michael6
Explorer

Dear Colleagues, I hear on a course there are approx 120 KPIs that come standard with SAP S/4 Hana embedded analytics. Can anyone share what these are, and are they really comprehensive? Do they cover all the KPIs that the previous ECC LIS and Purchis included? When I worked with LIS, we had many hundred KPIs. And if not, how does one create/ obtain the rest of the KPIs needed? Many thanks,

Hello @Michael6 - are you already following the topic SAP S/4HANA? I would recommend the following:

• Click on the link and "Follow" the SAP S/4HANA topic page.
  • Search for a question in SAP Community Q&A - and if it's not already asked, you could ask your question there instead. This will be the quickest way to get an answer in the community.

Hope this helps!

Michael6
Explorer

Many thanks Katherine.

Arjun_Mukherjee
Participant

From the orientation i attended in college

QueomaRaoni
Explorer

The first time I heard about sap was in 2005, in that year I was working in the car industry, in 2016, I started working in a public company where the system was already implemented, as a colleague says, the first sight of sap is like looking at the stars on a clear night, but over time you adapt to the vastness it offers, today I see this system as very promising, which grows every day.

@QueomaRaoni you are so optimistic about what SAP software offers in the market. May I ask your area of expertise and what topics you hope to connect with community members? Check out Location Groups | SAP Community too! Best of luck!  

----- Find out What's New in SAP Community - click on "Options - Subscribe" today!-----

former_member162720
Discoverer

Hi 

I was so excited to tell you that I came to know about SAP 20 years back. 

Thanks

Vasanth

That's definitely a long time @former_member162720 🙂
Did you notice that we are currently running some great activities in SAP Community, partly on-site event:

Maybe you want to join one of these to connect with your other community members!

----- Stay up-to-date with SAP Community and subscribe to What's New today! -----

@former_member162720 happy 20th Anniversary to you. I also joined around that time. What a great place to be. Have you checked out the Location Groups | SAP Community? I joined the NSQ Group and many Community Members are forming Groups. Best o f luck!

----- Find out What's New in SAP Community - click on "Options - Subscribe" today!-----

rathore-1230
Explorer

You bought so much of memories altogether.

mgiacomino
Discoverer

Yes! I'm a graphic designer and community manager, and when I applied for a job in a tech company I got into this whole new universe without even knowing! Never thought I would get as hooked as I am with SAP as I am.

Greetings from Argentina

Cheers!

@mgiacomino wow, you are a graphic designer and community manager. That all sounds fun! It is always great to hear how someone 'falls' into SAP. I joined SAP because I knew a lot about reporting and supply chain. After doing many things around SAP I'm glad to say I am in community too. Check out Coffee Corner - SAP Community Groups when you can too! Best of luck!

aanumula
Explorer

Greetings, everyone! I'm Aswani Anumula, a Senior Solution Architect in the Data and Analytics Practice at Sierra Digital, based in Houston, Texas. Feel free to connect with me to access our comprehensive SAP Datasphere Readiness Assessment report and explore a range of exciting tools tailored to enhance various aspects of your business functions. Join me on this journey of data and analytics excellence!

@aanumula it is great to meet you. I want to connect you with some folks in Dallas too. @rileyrainey SAP Champion @Former Member  and SAP Mentor @DiegoDora . I know how valuable it is to always add people to your personal network! Best of luck!

It's a pleasure to meet you as well! I appreciate your willingness to connect me with some individuals in Dallas. I'm definitely eager to expand my personal network.

I'll reach out to @rileyrainey, @Former Member, and @DiegoDora soon. Thanks for facilitating these connections.

Thanks again for your warm welcome and assistance!

Regards,

Ashwin.

Dharinisap
Participant

Its been more than a decade for me, lot with the technology we have travelled, we are building apps these days, but I still get excited to see the ECC screen where we played around the maximum....Am a Happy Developer!  Congrats to you Ruthvik. 

Ruthvik
Active Contributor

Thank you Dharini for that and see you at TechEd

Thanks & Regards
Ruthvik Chowdary

Edrilan_Berisha
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert

My first time was at the age of 14-15. So that's already around 15-16 years ago. At that time I had no clue that basically just around the corner of where I lived the SAP headquarters were located. I read the whole Wikipedia article back then and was amazed by the history of this company.

Thanks for sharing @Edrilan_Berisha !! I'm an employee since 2006, based in Galway, Ireland.

htammen
Active Contributor

Here's the answer of an old man, probably one of the oldest in SAP universe 😁.

First time I heard of SAP was in 1994, when a colleague told me that he wrote his bachelor thesis in Walldorf at a company that's developing software for big companies. Never heard of it 😂

Six years later, 09/2000, I got involved in my first SAP customer project. From then on, SAP never let me go.

I'm a SAP freelancer for 23 years now and still enjoy nearly every day

Best regards Helmut 

@htammen what a journey. I'm similar since I started as an SAP customer with R/3 when I was a supply chain manager. Agree - I've never looked back. May I ask if you have certain areas of interest where you want to further pursue with fellow community members? There are many areas with more always being added. Interest Groups | SAP Community Always join the Group too.

Join Button Groups.JPG

Hi @StephanieMarley,

I'm already a member of SAP community since 2003. The whole time I was active here, e.g. as speaker at UI5Con, by participating in several online events (6x Teched, 5x UI5Con, Xx CodeJam,...) and other events. I know a decent number of people from SAP and from the community. 

My interests are all technical ones: UI, BTP, CAP and everything that's related to software development.

I will have a look at what's going on here and participate in interesting groups. 

BR Helmut 

@htammen what a great story! Today was awesome to see this fantastic announcement at #sapteched. It seems right up your ally! Why SAP Build Code is a Game-Changer for SAP Developers | SAP Blogs It is a happy day today for SAP Developers!!

MohanMujumale
Explorer

3rd year of engineering.

@MohanMujumale this is great to hear. May I ask what you are focused on at the moment? Have you checked out Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning - SAP Community Groups? Also, be sure to always join the Groups where you are interested. This way you don't miss out on the latest.

Join Button Groups.JPG

vermeulm
Explorer

For me was applying for a system analyst position in 1995 that promises to take any system analyst (for me Oracle DB apps) and train them on SAP.  Arriving in the US and going directly going to a 12-week training academy for the complete logistical supply chain; from procure, make, quality, warehousing, distribution, and billing.  It was like drinking from a fire hose, but it exposed me to a new career, and I've not looked back since from starting with R/2-R/3 migration, the evolution and maturity of R/3 from R/3 2.1a to ECC and today onto SAP S/4 HANA and SAP BTP.  Today I play with no-code/low-code, process automation, ML/AI and business intelligence on BTP.
What a career and what great career opportunities SAP offers! 

@vermeulm what a story and your experience is phenomenal! I started as a customer using R/3 way back. I had some early experience with SAP BW too. It has all been great so far. Have you checked out Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning - SAP Community Groups? Make sure to join the Group too to stay up on the latest.

Join Button Groups.JPG

StephanieMarley
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

@Ruthvik on the eve of TechEd 2023 I want to pull you back into this discussion. So many members are chiming in about their SAP journey. So many are so happy with their decision to take on SAP. At TechEd 2023 the journey will continue for so many wonderful community members! Enjoy the show!

JensSB
Participant

Hi @StephanieMarley.
My very first contact with SAP was in September 1988, when I was asked to maintain a few of my IT colleagues' T900 tables in R/2.
Two months later, someone resigned, and there was a job rotation in the department. A colleague took over his role, and I took over the ABAP course planned for this colleague :). My first project started immediately afterwards. Shortly before that, there had been an upgrade to R/2 4.3c. With it came the first version of the DDIC and the CPIC commands for exchanging data between a SAP hosting host and PCs. These tools were also promptly what I had to use for my first project.
Today, I've been a freelancer for over 25 years and specialize in building and maintaining workflows, trying to program as modern as possible and finding my way into the cloud and the new technologies, like no-code/low-code, RAP, Fiori and process automation ;).
I don't want to stop at all. And as long as my health allows it, I want to continue beyond retirement age.
Cheers, Jens

JensSB

htammen
Active Contributor

Wow, someone who already worked with R/2. Chapeau! 

@JensSB what a fantastic career. Awesome. I guess you will never get board considering the speed of tech advancements! Have a great week!

dhegde
Participant

Hi Folks,

Straight out of University campus, when I joined my first company, I had no clue I would end up with SAP/ABAP.  After 3 days of orientation, I was told that I would be going through a 3-month ABAP training.  I was devastated to say the least 😁  At the time, ABAP syntax looked like that of COBOL to me.  Java/J2EE was fashionable.  

But, after over a decade of being in SAP eco-system, I feel fortunate to have been here.  ABAP is thriving. Has some unique features.  When I sometimes code in other languages, I miss ABAP.  I think to myself, "why things are not so simple like they are in ABAP" 😊

I hope you guys are enjoying it too. 

Cheers,

Dhananjay

@dhegde you've come a long way. Thanks for sharing your inspiring story and journey. Good things come from hard work and dedication!

jhonny_pachas
Newcomer

Escuché y leí por primera vez en el 2015