What's New
Stay informed about the latest in SAP Community. Explore new developments, strategy updates, and program announcements shaping the future of our community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jerryjanda
Community Manager
Community Manager

My colleagues and I have been working to respond to the feedback that we've received about the new platform -- via comments, posts, emails, direct messages, and just about every other channel you can imagine.

We have a backlog, but we're doing our best to capture all feedback and follow up. If you've not heard from us yet, please be patient as it's likely because there are dozens of messages ahead of yours. (Please keep in mind that it's best to engage with us in public channels or our inboxes. It's a true team effort, and we don't always have the bandwidth individually to respond right away to direct messages, social-media callouts, dedicated emails, and so on. Also, per our rules of engagement, we expect all members to treat each other professionally and respectfully, and if you'd like us to assist you, please avoid rude comments that violate our policies.)

To help speed up the process of communicating, we've been tracking common questions and complaints that we can address collectively. That's why I published this post recently about spamming. And it's why I'm writing today.

In this post, I'd like to tackle several topics that keep coming up -- to make you aware that we're aware (and to let you know we've heard you and what we're planning to do next…if anything).

Sorting tag feeds/notifications by content type

While it's possible to access tag feeds and subscribe to tags, the current system lumps all tag content under "posts" (which, in the new system, is defined as both blogs and questions).

We agree that members should have the ability to separate blog content from questions (and vice versa) on a tag level. We are working to come up with a solution for giving members this option, and we'll communicate more as we have more information.

Feeds by publication date (not just recent activity)

The "Recent Activity" feeds have confused members, leading them to think that there is a bug -- because they expect these feeds to show the most recently published blog posts (for example).

To be clear: It's not a bug. "Recent Activity" is literal -- so if an older blog post gets a comment, then it pops to the top of the queue, as that's recent activity. But the original publication date for the post is what appears in the feed.

We understand that members want the ability to scroll through new questions and blog posts, in chronological order, and they aren't interested in older posts that suddenly received a reply. We're looking into adding feeds that make it easier to consume the most recent posts based on when they were published. We'll keep you posted.

Page views on blog content

This one's easy to address: We realize that the blog posts should show the number of views, and we're working to get this information added back.

That's all on that one for now, but we'll provide updates as we get them.

Blog Formatting Post-Migration

I covered this one briefly in my spam post, and I'm afraid I don't have any new better news to share…

When we migrated the blogging content into the new platform, members noticed that the formatting changed in some cases. Perhaps the posts suddenly contained white space, anchor links broke, and so on. As a result, they tried to edit the posts to recapture the previous look and feel, only to discover that they broke the formatting even further.

To be clear: It is not possible to recapture the formatting of the previous platform, and since editing old content actually violates community best practices (per Step 10 of our community tutorial), we ask that members accept the current formatting of migrated content and focus more on creating new content that follows blogging standards and guidelines.

There's a reason why the formatting can't be replicated. Some migrated posts have gone through different community platforms. Over the years, members attempted to introduce special formatting through customized html, or they copied text with special formatting from Word docs. In doing so, they were using the blog platform in ways not intended -- and publishing things we wouldn't even consider blogs. (For example, a blog post should be something that can be consumed quickly and easily, so if it required anchor links -- because it was thousands of words broken into chapters -- or contained complicated tables, then the content might have been better suited to a series of blog posts or a different channel altogether.)

To ensure compatibility with any future platform changes, please use the blogging tool as designed and use the "Clear formatting" option when copying text over from Word.

Subscriptions Not Triggering Notifications

This one hits close to home for me, as I recently discovered I wasn't getting all notifications with the SAP Community tag.

We're investigating what's causing this problem, but I've experimented, and you might want to try these things in the meantime:

• Go to the page where you've subscribed (whether it's a tag, board, category, etc.), unsubscribe, and subscribe again.
  • Go to your Notification Settings and make sure you've unchecked the "Ignore posts and reviews that I've already read" box.

I can't guarantee that those actions will fix your subscription/notification issues, but they might do the trick while we investigate further. Regardless, we are looking into this issue and will share more info as it becomes available.

Character Restrictions in Display Names

Several members have complained about the character restrictions for SAP Community display names (which can be changed from the "My content" area of the site -- in the My settings section). We're looking to see if we can give people the option for longer display names. In the meantime, if you're unhappy with the name that you received after migration -- due to letters getting cut off or other reasons -- you can change your display name. (Note that this applies to the display name on SAP Community. The profile.sap.com username is different. Please see my post about profiles post-migration to understand the differences.)   

Something tells me I'll be doing more posts like this one before the post-migration dust settles, so if you haven't already, please subscribe to What's New to get the latest updates as my colleagues and I share them here.

34 Comments
Johan_H
Active Contributor

"We understand that members want the ability to scroll through new questions and blog posts, in chronological order, and they aren't interested in older posts that suddenly received a reply. "

Especially in Q&A having a question pop to the top of the list after a comment or answer, is exactly what works well. Otherwise, with the 'Load more' button SAP chose to use, answers and comments will disappear for ever into the abbyss. For Blogs it might be true, I have no idea.

The simplest solution that comes to mind, is simply an option to sort content by all the parameters that are visible (at least). A nice additonal solution would be the option to filter content by as many parameters as possible (time, kudoes, views, topic, managed tag(s), user tags, labels, etc, etc).

shreenithnaik
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert

Hi @jerryjanda ,

Thank you soo much for providing the answers for the issues above. This helps a lot!

I'm a topic page owner and I wanted to know if we have a way currently to track or see the number of followers for each managed tag like we had earlier on the dedicated tag pages or is this data now completely lost with the new platform?

We heavily tracked this data to plan our content engagement strategy and has been of great importance to track the success of our main tag followers too.

Could you also share this info on the article above or on the comments section? 

Thank you!

audreystevenson
Community Manager
Community Manager
0 Kudos

@shreenithnaik Please send your questions about topic pages and analytics to community@sap.com.

valentynahadley
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Hello Jerry,

I am a training administrator for embecta (formerly know BD). In 2023 I registered under my global id ***REMOVED BY MODERATION***, now it is ***REMOVED BY MODERATION***. I tried to get SFX learning access and it is prohibited, though Bd and now embecta SAP SuccessFactors customer. Please help to get access to SFX Learning. Thank you in advance!

jerryjanda
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello, @valentynahadley :

Please note that sharing your email and user-ID publicly -- in both text and your display name -- violates our Rules of Engagement. We have adjusted accordingly.

When you state that you are trying to get SFX Learning access, are you referring to the SuccessFactors section of the community? Or something else? 

Please clarify.

Kind regards,

--Jerry

Devraj
Active Participant

Thank you for this post. Finally we have a blog that explains the bugs and change management issues. Its a pity that we did not learn from our disaster a few years ago when migrating from SDN/SCN to blogs.sap.com and answers.sap.com.

In netflix if i got an like a 1990 movie and it comes up on your feed then you know how it feels when we see old blogs and questions instead of new blog and new questions.

We are in it together but please fix it. I want to see only new blogs in recent post. Peopl\e dont care if someonbe likes or comments on old blogs.

BaerbelWinkler
Active Contributor

Thanks for the update, Jerry!

Quick note about this suggestion:
"To ensure compatibility with any future platform changes, please use the blogging tool as designed and use the "Clear formatting" option when copying text over from Word."

Another option could be to copy and paste content drafted in Word or elsewhere via the neat HTML Cleaner tool. It strips out most unwanted HTML-tags but leaves things like bold, italics or URLs intact so you don't have to manually re-insert them. The free version has a size limit but it could still be quicker than re-formatting content again, esp. if there are many URLs included.

Hope this helps!

Cheers

Bärbel

vobu
Active Contributor

Hi, is it just on my machine™ or do code sections not show up in the RSS feed?

Screenshot of RSS feed:

vobu_0-1707898829815.png

Screenshot of Blog Post:

vobu_1-1707898920954.png

Edrilan_Berisha
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

My badges were not migrated. I reached out internally to the community DL but so far no response.

jerryjanda
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi, @Edrilan_Berisha:

Please check your Outlook inbox. Our team did contact you the same day (February 9) to inform you that we have to work with IT to process these requests -- as we don't have the ability to add badges ourselves. These badge updates happen during normal IT sprint cycles. I don't know when the next one is planned, but if it's urgent, please respond to the email you received from our inbox. Otherwise, your badges will come back after the next sprint.

Kind regards,

--Jerry 

ErvinSzolke
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert

Hi @jerryjanda ,

Perhaps this is already on your radar but to be on the safe side I mention regarding the section "Sorting tag feeds/notifications by content type" that,

on managed tag pages we would need not only the separation per Blog and Q&A but additional filtering options for the Q&A like answered, unanswered, accepted (just like it was on the previous platform).

Thanks,
Ervin

jerryjanda
Community Manager
Community Manager
0 Kudos

Hi, @vobu:

Could you please let me know what reader you're using version, what platform, etc.? I might have to check with the vendor to see if it's a supported reader or perhaps some other issue.

Kind regards,

--Jerry

vobu
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

hey @jerryjanda, I'm using the web-based RSS reader Feedly (feedly.com), usually either from iOS or macOS, with (mobile) Safari respectively

anubhavpandey
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi @jerryjanda 

Thanks for sharing the details about the missing features and progress on them.

Can you please share by when we can expect the feature for no. of views on the blogs will be back.

Thanks
Anubhav

ajitkumar
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Is the point system removed? i don't find points anywhere.

JimSpath
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

@ajitkumar Points are now gamification: what's new/let the gamification begin 

Maya_Shiff
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

hi @jerryjanda , 

any news regarding this one?

Sorting tag feeds/notifications by content type

While it's possible to access tag feeds and subscribe to tags, the current system lumps all tag content under "posts" (which, in the new system, is defined as both blogs and questions).

We agree that members should have the ability to separate blog content from questions (and vice versa) on a tag level. We are working to come up with a solution for giving members this option, and we'll communicate more as we have more information.

Thanks,

Maya

SAP Business One 

@ANKIT_CHAUHAN 

jerryjanda
Community Manager
Community Manager
0 Kudos

Hi, @vobu:

The Khoros support team got back to me and wanted to know if you've tried another RSS reader and, if so, whether you experienced the same issue.

Kind regards,

--Jerry

WoodyCX
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi @jerryjanda ,
crucial functionality for me is to search posts with keywords, limited by tag(s).
For example, I would like to see all posts with phrase "dashboard" on SAP Managed Tag "C4C Analytics".
Example 2. I would like to see all posts with phrase "accounts not replicating", tagged as "C4C Sales" OR "C4C Service".

Is this functionality on your roadmap?

Best regards,
Adam

xavierlegarrec
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi @jerryjanda 

I just looked at the HCM page blogs by members today and the Kudo count banner on the right side seems to have been reset to 0 recently. Can we get it back to count all the Kudos on all blog posts made by each member ? I was number 3 and now I'm nowhere to be found. For people working in Professional Services and visibility within SAP, this matters A LOT.

Also, could we make the number of views visible on each blog and not just in the summary page "HCM blogs by SAP" ? I would like people to see (and ideally sort by) the number of views when landing on my profile here: https://community.sap.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/20879

Thank you for your help.

All the best

Xavier

torj
Explorer

Hi @jerryjanda 

Is it me or do the managed tags simply not work? 

If I click the "SAP Community" managed tag, I expect to be taken to a page that provides an overview of content with this tag. it could be blogs, Q&A, both mixed together, whatever, but it would be content with this tag. 

What happens is that I seem to get every single post in existence? I get the exact same content if I click on any of the other tags. 

See screenshots below comparing SAP Community tag with SAP Analytics Cloud tag. it is the same content that is displayed. Most of the content has neither tag. 

torj_0-1711804252408.png

torj_1-1711804377039.png

What the tags do enable though is that I can do a specific search for the text of the tag, and I will get posts that have that tag (as well as posts where the search term is just used somewhere).

But I would think this isn't the only intended usage of the tags? 

audreystevenson
Community Manager
Community Manager
0 Kudos

Hello @torj ,

We are experiencing a bug, which was already alerted in this post:
https://community.sap.com/t5/questions-about-sap-websites/bug-blog-shows-up-under-untagged-tag/qaq-p...

Please follow that post, as we will be providing updates there.

Regards,
Audrey

nathaliequiblier
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Dear Community,

Is it possible to change a blog after publishing? It was possible in the old platform.

Thanks and regards,

Nathalie

jerryjanda
Community Manager
Community Manager
0 Kudos

Hi, @nathaliequiblier:

Yes, it's possible, but may I ask what blog post you want to edit and why? Please keep in mind that it's against our policy to update old blog posts. I explain that in the Blog Formatting Post-Migration section above.

Kind regards,

--Jerry

nathaliequiblier
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi @jerryjanda ,

Thanks a lot for your reply. It is this blog, released on Tuesday. Bundles Now Live in SAP for Me - A Breakthrough in... - SAP Community 

I just need to remove the last sentence, as the email address mentioned is not supported anymore.

"You can also contact us under SAP for Me."

Best regards,

Nathalie

jerryjanda
Community Manager
Community Manager
0 Kudos

Hello again, @nathaliequiblier:

Thank you for the explanation. That edit would be fine, and you should be able to edit your content. If you aren't sure how, please check the Blogs section for our How-To Videos: https://pages.community.sap.com/resources/how-to-videos.

There are a few videos showing how you can edit blog content.

Kind regards,

--Jerry

ShaneLipke
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert

Hi Community Team,

The post above indicates that blog post views will be available again but I still cannot see how to access the view numbers for my posts.  Has this change been implemented yet and if so, how do we view the views of our blog posts?

Regards
Shane

jerryjanda
Community Manager
Community Manager
0 Kudos

Hi, @ShaneLipke:

That feature is not back yet, and there's nothing new to report right now. Per my post, we'll definitely share updates when they become available.

Kind regards,

--Jerry

ShaneLipke
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Thanks Jerry!

RobertH
Explorer

Hi Community Team.

I have subscribed to a lot of topics and therefore receive a lot of notifications from the SAP Community.

However, since the changeover of the Community Platform, the notifications have been sent to the wrong email address.

The emails are now sent to the Universal ID address, which is my private email address. If I have understood this correctly, the use of the private email address is exactly the reason for the Universal ID.

However, I don't want the notifications from the SAP Community in my private mailbox. They should go to the business email address.

This was the case before the changeover to the Community Platform.

I don't want to change the email address of my Universal ID.

Is there a way to change the email address for the notifications independently of the Universal ID?

Kind Regards

Robert

audreystevenson
Community Manager
Community Manager
0 Kudos

Hello @RobertH,
Unfortunately, no, it is not possible to have an email notification address for the community that is different from the Universal ID main email address.

WoodyCX
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi @audreystevenson 
crucial functionality for me is to search posts with keywords, limited by tag(s).
For example, I would like to see all posts with phrase "dashboard" on SAP Managed Tag "C4C Analytics".
Example 2. I would like to see all posts with phrase "accounts not replicating", tagged as "C4C Sales" OR "C4C Service" (but NOT to see posts related to S/4).

Is this functionality on your roadmap?

Best regards,
Adam

audreystevenson
Community Manager
Community Manager
0 Kudos

Hello @WoodyCX , we are working with our vendor to identify options for improving the filtering. Thank you for your patience.

RolandKramer
Active Contributor

Hello Community Manager,
I have understand a lot of the "new features" which brings us back to the 20th century.
Certainly, no doubt: a Blog is not a beast which will survive for year, that's why there was a possibility to have static pages.
But, why is it not possible with WordPress to have the simpliest editor features like a "go back button?

This is the editor pane in the BLog editor section:

community_05.jpg

Even the simpliest graphic app like paint allow these functions ...

community_06.jpg

until then, let's wait for the next SAP Communitiy iteration ...

best regards Roland

email Profile Image.jpg