Application Development Blog Posts
Learn and share on deeper, cross technology development topics such as integration and connectivity, automation, cloud extensibility, developing at scale, and security.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
julieplummer20
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert

Update, 19th December, 2023

Dear All,

We have now released SP09 of ABAP Platform Trial on Docker. The address is the same:

https://hub.docker.com/r/sapse/abap-platform-trial

Password has changed and is now: ABAPtr1909

Introduction

Dear All,

It gives us in the team enormous pleasure to announce that:

ABAP Platform Trial 1909 SP07 is now available on Docker:

https://hub.docker.com/r/sapse/abap-platform-trial

As before, we are offering a free, downloadable ABAP Platform on SAP HANA 2.0 for trying out the ABAP language and toolset. It is extensively pre-configured with SAP Fiori launchpad, SAP Cloud Connector, pre-configured backend /frontend connections, roles, and sample applications.

This solution is intended for two groups of developers:

• Non-ABAP developers, who are interested in learning more about the ABAP language and development tools

• ABAP developers, who are interested in learning about new features (see below for some examples)

See also karl.kessler's announcement blog post for information on our strategy: Now available: ABAP Platform Trial

IMPORTANT: Before you pull the image, make sure:

• You understand the principles of docker container technology

• You know the entities docker image / docker container and their relationship

• You know the basic commands to work with images and containers

ABAP License

The ABAP license supplied with the Docker image lasts only three months. Therefore, you should download and import the demo license as follows:

1. Logon to your ABAP system with the user SAP*, client 000, same password as for DEVELOPER (DEVELOPER , client 001, is locked).

2. Start transaction SLICENSE; copy the hardware key.

3. Get the license from minisap , choosing the system A4H.

4. Back in your ABAP System, log off, then log on with the user DEVELOPER, client 001.

5. The old ("INITIAL") license(s) should be deleted automatically. If not, start SLICENSE again; remove the old invalid licenses. (sap* is not allowed to delete licenses).

Highlights of the 1909 Edition

ABAP RESTful Application Programming Model (RAP)

ABAP RESTful Application Programming Model – The Big Picture

The ABAP RESTful Application Programming Model (short: RAP) offers developers an efficient way to build enterprise-ready, SAP HANA-optimized, OData-based Fiori UI services and Web APIs in the cloud as well as on-premise. It is the evolutionary successor to the ABAP Programming Model for SAP Fiori.

To make it easier for you to get started, we have also added the demo and training data model, the ABAP Flight Reference Scenario.

For more information, see:

Git-Enabled Change and Transport System (gCTS)

gCTS = CTS + git

A new way of transporting objects, gCTS enables you to use Git to store your ABAP development objects. gCTS makes use of special Git features, such as working on local copies of a central remote Git repository. Software development takes place in the usual editors like ABAP Development Tools (ADT). Changes to objects are still recorded in transport requests. Current states of objects can be pushed to remote Git repositories, either by releasing a transport request or while you’re working.

For more general information on gCTS, see this blog post: gCTS is here, by karin.spiegel

For the official documentation overview, see: Git-Enabled Change and Transport System

The official documentation for configuration, Configuring Git-enabled Change and Transport System contains three steps. However, we have preconfigured the first two, so you only have to complete the third,  Configure Repositories.

Some certificates are already available. If you would like to connect to your own GitHub server or to a provider other than github.com, you have to add the appropriate certificates to the ABAP system in transaction STRUST. The configuration has been done for the default user ‘DEVELOPER’.

To get started with gCTS, simply open the gCTS app in the SAP Fiori Launchpad (FLP).

If you are a SAP customer, partner, or employee, the following SAP Note provides additional information: SAP Note: 2821718 . However, the essential configuration has already been done for everyone.

Custom Code Migration with the ABAP Test Cockpit (ATC)

We've pre-configured ABAP Platform Trial to run as a central check system for checking your custom code prior to migration - particularly useful for:

• SAP S/4HANA Readiness Checks

• SAP Cloud Readiness Check.

You can test this out of the box locally in SAP ADT, then configure the rest of your landscape to work with it.

For more general information on ATC, see these two excellent blogs, by olga.dolinskaja:

SAP Cloud Connector

SAP Cloud Connector provides a link between SAP Business Technology Platform (BTP) applications and on-premise systems. It runs as on-premise agent in a secured network; acts as a reverse invoke proxy between the on-premise network and SAP BTP; and lets you use existing on-premise assets without exposing the entire internal landscape.

If you are interested in connecting your ABAP Platform Trial with a licensed version of SAP BTP, ABAP Environment (i.e.“Steampunk”), I have written a tutorial mission on this: Connect Your On-Premise System with SAP BTP, ABAP Environment

For more information, see:

abapGit

Yes, abapGit is available out of the box.

Documentation is here: abapGit Documentation

If you are not yet familiar with abapGit, this post by graham.robinson is a great introduction, with how-to videos:

abapGit So Easy

Other Highlights of ABAP Platform 1909: Overview

Blog post: ABAP Platform for SAP S/4HANA 1909, from October 2019, by olga.dolinskaja

Official slide deck for ABAP Platform in SAP S/4HANA 1909 – Overview and Product Highlights.

Guides, Tutorials, FAQ, Troubleshooting

• If you’re not sure where to start with your new system, we have written several tutorials:

SAP Tutorial Navigator: ABAP On-Premise Tutorials.

• If you have access to SAP Learning, I can recommend the following beginners' course:

Acquire Core ABAP Skills

https://github.com/SAP-docs/abap-platform-trial-image

• I have started putting together FAQs specifically for ABAP Platform Trial, 1909 on Docker. If you would like to contribute to this, please let me know:

ABAP Trial Platform 1909 on Docker: Tips and Tricks

• The old FAQs  also contains some non-release-specific info on Cookbook-style projects, by SAP Community members:

FAQ and Troubleshooting for SAP AS ABAP 7.5x

And finally...

Finally, I would just like to thank all the SAP Mentors and SAP Community members who expressed their support for ABAP Platform. You made a big difference.
53 Comments
matt
Active Contributor

I think you've been ninja'd! https://blogs.sap.com/2023/07/31/now-available-abap-platform-trial/

But good news twice! I like it.

julieplummer20
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
:-D. Nope - Karl’s my manager. We’re in the same team. And I think I can safely say: We’re all delighted - and relieved - to get this over the line!

Thanks for your support, Matthew.
0 Kudos
Why didn't you choose a newer release? Plenty of the new features will not be available in this old release.
Marian_Zeis
Active Contributor
More information in this blog post by Karl.

First step was to make 1909 available again. Next step is 2022

https://blogs.sap.com/2023/07/31/now-available-abap-platform-trial/
Shadab_Hussain
Explorer
Thanks for sharing
jakobflaman
Active Participant
Thx for making possible 🙂
pascalrode
Explorer
0 Kudos
SAP has so many cool tech tools. It's easy to set up and works well on most home computers. What's even better is that there's a big community of people using SAP. They share tools, help each other out, and talk about their experiences.

I have a question, though: Can I share my own tests or demo programs with others using a Docker image? Big thumbs up to SAP for making everything so fun and helpful!
vodela
Active Participant
Thanks for this - I find this version is a full 1909 version - for instance in RAP I find only unmanaged and also odata V4 is not an option for Service Binding.  Can you kindly clarify if we can expect an update if so when?

Thanks for this Version it was much easier than earlier versions.

Best regards

Ramesh
TMNielsen
Contributor
0 Kudos
Why this docker "thing"?

First thing I see is that must understand and be able to handler Docker.

Before you pull the image

• You understand the principles of docker container technology

• You know the entities docker image / docker container and their relationship

• You know the basic commands to work with images and containers

Well, if I have ever heard about Docker before I have for sure ignored it, so before I can make this work I probably need to step down a couple of steps and starte learning Docker.

Any suggestions how I can do that?

Can you give me a rough idea about how much time it requires to learn Docker. Can I learn the basic stuff in a day or do I need a year?

Also I am puzzled about this statement:

Please note: We highly recommend 32GB RAM to run the ABAP Platform Trial image. The following requirements only cover the resources needed for the Docker environment itself.

Windows

• 4 CPUs for Docker Desktop

• 16GB for Docker Desktop

• 170GB disk for Docker Desktop

Do I need 16 or 32 GB RAM?

Regards

Thomas Madsen Nielsen
abo
Active Contributor
Definitely MORE than 16GB.

With 32GB on Linux it runs fine.
fabian93b
Explorer
0 Kudos
Hi Andrea,

I got 32GB RAM and 256 GB SSD running on Linux Mint....but still it seems like my system is to weak..... Is there a possiblitie that my processor Intel i5-8365U does not fullfill the needed requirements?

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards

Fabian
abo
Active Contributor
The diskspace is a bit tight but you'll find out soon enough when the space runs out 🙂
fabian93b
Explorer
Well it worked for me, I was able to get the "Have fun" commando line, however after that my Laptop seems to surrender, my mouse is lagging and moving slowly.....I guess its the processor, but I will to upgrade my diskspace and give it another try. Thanks though 🙂
TMNielsen
Contributor
Thanks to SAP for making this available, but I simply don't understand why it is released without a proper installation guide for the 3 possible systems Linux, Windows and Mac.

Also I think the list of requirements are useless because as they write themselves "The following requirements only cover the resources needed for the Docker environment itself."

It is really not interesting to look at Docker requirements isolated.

I look forward to the day some clever community member writes a blog with a full guide.
somnath
Active Participant
Hello SAP Community,

Did anyone able to access the underlined Tenant DB from eclipse?

I understood (from) to access tenant db I need to expose the port 30215 and next I tried to connect tenant db (HDB) from eclipse tool with vhcala4hci:30215 , but its failing to connect.

Though I was able to access SYSTEM DB using user id as SYSTEM and Password: Htods70334

But what would be the user for tenant db? I tried with SAPA4H and password Htods70334 it didn't work.

Could some one help with the right details, please?

• Thanks, Somnath

christoph_weyd
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
Hello

I have two questions:

I was trying to connect to the database via HANA Studio, but it seems the corresponding ports cannot be opened. Did I make a mistake here or how can I connect to the DB via HANA Studio?

When using SAP management console (need to open ports 1128-1129) to connect to A4H the password Htods70334 for use a4hadm did not work (after changing the password with docker exec -it a4h bash connection was possible); what are the OS passwords for hdbadm, a4hadm?

Regards
Christoph
GabrielL
Explorer
0 Kudos
What is the SYSTEM-NR and INSTNO for HDB(HANA DATABASE)?
morpheus123
0 Kudos
Hello ! How can i use Fiori 3.0 in this System .. ich checked the Version and everything looks good.

So why i can not use Spaces and Pages in Fiori.

It is possible do upload this two Apps into the system?

Many thanks!

kmkumaran1991
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hello All, Any idea on trial 2022 when it will be available?

omar_rovai
Discoverer
0 Kudos
Hello.
How can I make another PC, outside my home network, connect to this server using SAP LOGON ?
I have tried many methods but I can't get it.
I have read that I have to expose the IP in my home router, but I don't know how to do it,

Hello,

you have many options, it all depends on your use case. A few examples:

If you have the option to open ports on your home network you can use the SAP Router (with SSL), or even better use a VPN like OpenVPN or Wireguard.

If you don't want to open ports on your home network, you can use Tailscale or Cloudflare to safely access your home network.

Best regards,

Eloi

omar_rovai
Discoverer
Hi Eloi.

thank you so much , it worked very fine using Tailscale
FlorinEne
Explorer
Hi team,

first of all, a big thank you for this great release, and of course, for listening the voice of the community!

Easy to install, easy to use, GG!

Now coming to my question..:
Using this release I am actually trying to execute the following RAP exercises: https://github.com/SAP-samples/abap-platform-rap-workshops.

In order to do that, there are some objects needed from the package SAPB_COMMON. Unfortunately this release doesn't contain them.

1. Any option for me to install them now without needing to wait for a future release?

2. Will you include this package in a future release?

Thanks and kind regards,

Florin-Catalin Ene
omar_rovai
Discoverer
0 Kudos
Hi Team

how can I make a BACKUP of the container, I deleted the container by mistake, and all my tables, structures and programs were deleted.

thank you

Omar,
Mumali
Participant
0 Kudos
Thank you for today's update julie.plummer

I wonder if there is a way to upgrade the ABAP Platform from SP07 to SP09 without deleting the previous docker container.  I have been working on some POCs that I risk losing if I donwload and run the new docker image. Your thoughts will be highly appreciated.
julieplummer20
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos
Hi Omar,

Sorry to hear that. 2 options for next time:

1. Back up the ABAP objects with abapGit - see above.

2. Back up the container, not just the ABAP objects. Use docker save and docker load. However, you need to refer to Docker docu / tutorials etc for this.

Best wishes,

Julie.
julieplummer20
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
Hi Fredrick,

I am sorry to say that I cannot envisage this.

The upgrade process that we perform internally is labour- and resource-intensive and requires expert knowledge from several colleagues. That's why we offer the Docker image as is.

This option would be available for the full S/4HANA product for customers, but not for our Trial / Developer Edition.

Sorry I can't help.

Best wishes,

Julie.
julieplummer20
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert

Hi Florin,

There are an awful lot of RAP workshops :-).  Which specific exercise are you in?

I probably can't help, but please help me make sure.

Thanks Julie.

julieplummer20
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos
Hi,

This is not a firm commitment, but we are provisionally aiming for sometime in the first 3-4 months of 2024.

Best wishes,
JUlie.
FlorinEne
Explorer
0 Kudos
Hi Julie,

The exercise is RAP100:

https://github.com/SAP-samples/abap-platform-rap-workshops/tree/main/rap1xx/rap100#readme

Thank you, Florin
dmcardlenl
Participant

1. Put your developments in traditional transportable change requests?

2. ABAP Git as mentioned above.

Sandra_Rossi
Active Contributor
Quoting Julie:
« The passwords are in the Readme:

• for ABAP Platform Trial 1909, initial shipment Htods70334

• for ABAP Platform Trial 1909, SP01 ABAPtr1909

»
Mumali
Participant
0 Kudos
Hi Juli, 

Thank you for the feedback and let me express my sincere gratitude for the work you and your colleague put so we can have the trial in the first place. As suggested by someone below, I will try ABAP git.

Best wishes,

Fredrick
vodela
Active Participant
0 Kudos
Julie

Can you kindly check the url for the docker copy command? The version is the old version(SP07) and not SP09.

Best regards

Ramesh
stephan_daub
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos
Hello Ramesh,
Can you kindly check the url for the docker copy command?

Are you referring to the "pull"-command inside docker hub?

(which is "docker pull sapse/abap-platform-trial:1909_SP01")

By myself I checked and used this "pull" a lot of times on different devices and always got the right image...

Maybe you could elaborate a little more on the steps you performed?

Best regards

Stephan
stephan_daub
Advisor
Advisor
Hello Florin,

meanwhile I checked with my RAP colleagues and unfortunately this package cannot be installed subsequently or on top to "abap-platform-trial:1909_SP01".

It will be available with the next major release "abap-cloud-developer-trial:2022".

To ALL:
"abap-cloud-developer-trial:2022" will be the successor of "abap-platform-trial:1909_SP01"

More on that during the next weeks.

Info from the lab: we are already working on it 🙂

Best regards and have a nice move into 2024!

Stephan
vodela
Active Participant
0 Kudos
Stephan

Thanks for the reply.  I initially had the earlier version SP7 and in Windows prompt, I tried docker pull sapse/abap-platform-trial:1909_SP01      when I got the message that the image was identical - I removed my old image and then tried the same command and after the installation I checked this was the same. The new password failed and the old one worked.  It might be helpful if you change the URL with some extension such as an update.

Best regards

Ramesh

FlorinEne
Explorer
0 Kudos
Hi Stephan,

Thanks for the good news.
Looking forward to testing the new version then.

Have a great time, and a happy new year!
Florin
Attila
Active Participant
Thank You for Your efforts for the SP09 release, highly appreciated !
dmitry_yudin
Participant

Hello.

is anyone else facing the issue manifest unknown ?

I tried

docker pull sapse/abap-platform-trial:1909

docker pull sapse/abap-platform-trial:1909_SP09

docker pull sapse/abap-platform-trial:latest

with no success

I am able to pull the getting started image

stephan_daub
Advisor
Advisor
Dear Dimitrii,

please check the tag identifier/pull command in docker hub (most right at the copy button)
docker pull sapse/abap-platform-trial:1909_SP01

This is the "SP01" of our product "ABAP Platform Trial 1909" (containing S/4 Foundation/ABAP 1909 SP09).

Sorry for the confusion 😉

Best, Stephan
dmitry_yudin
Participant
0 Kudos
Thank you - this actually resolved the problem.
surprisingly, the documentation on docker hub is still pointing to the old image 
stephan_daub
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos
Dear Dimitrii,

thanks for pointing this out - we will re-check the docu/README ...

Best, Stephan
szymon_glapiak
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi , I run my new contaioner but I got an error :
"HDB: starting
su: cannot open session: Permission denied
HDB: the start command failed, exit code=1
The service HDB has failed to start and initialization is blocked until the problem is resolved"

It is executed under docker engine 25.0.3 .

Where I can find out what kind of permission are missed - more logs ?

Best Regards

Szymon Glapiak

stephane_g
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi , same issue here which was apparently solved ...

Solved: Can't start ABAP 1909 Developer Edition - SAP Community

szymon_glapiak
Explorer

Hi ,

The soulution does not help me here. With Docker engine 25+ always i see some error with permission. This problem does not happened on version 24. For version 25 to docker run command I've added "--privileged" and now it is ok. 

Bestr Regards

Szymon Glapiak

GabrielL
Explorer
0 Kudos

Why the sapstartsrv shows yellow on HANA Studio? 
I already checked everything related to this. Also the SAP note 1639568. 

I already exposed the ports 50213 and 50214.

Everything else is working as expected...

Or this is a normal behavior @julieplummer20 ?hdb.png

All these ports are exposed 

dfsdf.pngdock.jpg

vodela
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Julie

When I create a new license file for A4H and import it I get the following error

This system's system number is "000000000800888417", but there is a license key for system number "000000000800899601" in the license key file.

I double-checked my hardware key.  The URL I used is https://go.support.sap.com/minisap/#/minisap

Ramesh

Earlier even when I had an existing license I could add now - this gave an error for the system no - I deleted the existing license and could install the new license

I could not explain this change.

Arnaud_D
Explorer
0 Kudos

I'm following the training Acquiring Core ABAP Skills, but some elements of the ABAP Flight Reference Scenario seem missing.

For exemple I don't find the type (link to the exercice)

/DMO/R_AgencyTP

Or those RAP Reuse Data Elements : (link to the exercice)

abp_creation_user;
abp_creation_tstmpl;
abp_locinst_lastchange_user;
abp_locinst_lastchange_tstmpl;
abp_lastchange_tstmpl;

Is the scenario demo really loaded in the docker image ? Or I miss something ?

Thanks in advance for your help,
Arnaud.

ralf_henning
Advisor
Advisor

/DMO is not completely loaded at ABAP Trial 1909. The reason is unclear. In a few weeks we support you with version 2022. /DMO is been completely loaded here.

I apologize for the inconvenience.

Ralf