Application Development Blog Posts
Learn and share on deeper, cross technology development topics such as integration and connectivity, automation, cloud extensibility, developing at scale, and security.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mwn
Explorer
Those of you who have attended the SAP BC400 training course, which is the introduction to ABAP development, will start by writing a program that acts as a simple calculator.

It is based on ABAP PARAMETERS for inputs, ABAP WRITE statements for outputs , and is designed to show the basic constructs of most programming languages, introducing the concepts of modularisation, conditional program flows, error handling etc.

In the quiet end of year period, I decided to see if I could do something similar with more modern concepts.

The front end had to be UI5 based, and so the backend logic needed to be based on OData.

I already had a small SEGW project that I used for generating random Fiori Launchpad tile statuses, so I added a new entity to that project. The entity has three key properties, two integers for the operands and a character string for the operator, and a property for the result and any error message.

The GitHub repo can be found at https://github.com/michaelnicholls/ux100.git.

The logic for GET_ENTITYSET is to loop through a list of valid operators, and execute my CALC method with that operator and 2 random operands.

The logic for GET_ENTITY is to simply execute the CALC method.

The UI5 app was built by hand, as there was no obvious template. It consists of two <Input>s for the operands and a <RadioButtonGroup> for the operator. The contents of this group are derived from a property which is returned by the OData call, which contains a list of valid operators.

My second attempt for the OData service was to create a CDS view which accepts the three parameters and returns the result base on a nested CASE statement.

The view is based on a select statement from the T000 table, as this was the only table I could think of which I knew would always have at least one value.
@AbapCatalog.viewEnhancementCategory: [#NONE]
@AccessControl.authorizationCheck: #NOT_REQUIRED
@EndUserText.label: 'entity'
@OData.publish: true
@Metadata.ignorePropagatedAnnotations: true
@ObjectModel.usageType:{
serviceQuality: #X,
sizeCategory: #S,
dataClass: #MIXED
}
define view entity ZCALC with parameters
op1 :int4,
op2 :int4,
op :char1
as select from t000
{
// key $parameters.op1 as operand1,
// key $parameters.op2 as operand2,
// key $parameters.op as operator,
key '' as x,
case $parameters.op
when '+' then
$parameters.op1 + $parameters.op2
when '-' then
$parameters.op1 - $parameters.op2
when '*' then
$parameters.op1 * $parameters.op2
when '/' then
case $parameters.op2 when 0 then 0
//
// handle division by 0
//
else division($parameters.op1, $parameters.op2, 2 )
end
when '%' then
case $parameters.op2 when 0 then 0
//
// handle percentage of 0
//

else div(100 * $parameters.op1, $parameters.op2 )
end
else
end as res,

case $parameters.op
when '+' then
''
when '-' then
''
when '*' then
''
when '/' then
case $parameters.op2 when 0 then 'No division by 0'
else
''
end
when '%' then
case $parameters.op2 when 0 then 'No percentage of 0'
else
''
end
else
'Bad operator'
end as error

}
where
mandt = '000'

1 Comment
AndreaUS
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
The SAP documentation also has an example for an OData-based calculator, developed with the ABAP RESTful Application Programming Model: RAP Calculator. Managed, Draft-Enabled RAP BO with Late Numbering.